Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Spain in style - where can I rent a convertible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a 2 week trip to Spain. The goal is to start in Barcelona then up to Pamplona - San Sebastián - Bilbao - Haro - Madrid.

The goal is to rent a sporty/luxury convertible and drive. The problem is that I can’t find anything. I google it and only find economy cars, 4 door sedans, suv or vans. I am having trouble finding them on the big major websites like Enterprise, Hertz, etc…

I am looking for something that doesn’t restrict mileage, convertible as mentioned, pick up and drop off at different locations.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any sites/companies that provide that service?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope you’ll have somewhere to park that convertible securely at every stage of your journey.

With conventional cars, I’ve seen thieves brazenly open the front door when it was stopped at traffic lights and swipe the driver’s handbag. Seen this a few times, and once from the driver’s own lap. Please take extra care with a convertible, keep your luggage sealed and locked (hopefully the boot) and keep everything essential hidden close to your skin. If a glove compartment can be opened quickly, even this can be accessed while you are waiting for some lights to change.

I can’t imagine what the insurance costs must be for renting this kind of vehicle out to tourists staying in major cities.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 2:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Fully agree -- do park the car in fully covered, 24h monitored garages just in case. Spain is a place where it is not uncommon for undesired individuals to scratch with a key other people's (good) cars just out of jealousy. You obviously will reduce the risk of that happening if you do not park in the streets.

Have you checked Sixt? They should have decent cars, and sometimes they can guarantee specific models.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFSV
Fully agree -- do park the car in fully covered, 24h monitored garages just in case. Spain is a place where it is not uncommon for undesired individuals to scratch with a key other people's (good) cars just out of jealousy. You obviously will reduce the risk of that happening if you do not park in the streets.

Have you checked Sixt? They should have decent cars, and sometimes they can guarantee specific models.
I have set up my hotels and they all have parking where they store/supervise the vehicles. Also I am purchasing extensive travel insurance that includes car rental damage and lost or stolen goods in the vehicle.
I have checked Sixt. I have even checked Expedia, Kayak, and a whole bunch more but havent really found much.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Kram222
I have set up my hotels and they all have parking where they store/supervise the vehicles. Also I am purchasing extensive travel insurance that includes car rental damage and lost or stolen goods in the vehicle.
I have checked Sixt. I have even checked Expedia, Kayak, and a whole bunch more but havent really found much.
Sixt do have convertibles in Spain, at least from MAD - but it's either the Mini or the BMW 4 series, starting at around € 290/day. Anything else is too much of a risk in Spain, and indeed if you rent one in e.g. Germany, there will be restrictions on where you can take the car. Spain is on the no-go list.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
And it may be an issue of the one way rental. Not ending up in the same place as you start, they may not want to lose the nice car.

Also, may be the time of year? When are you going?
I found convertibles at Sixt for Barcelona-Madrid:

Last edited by pbiflyer; Jun 30, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Old Jun 30, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Hertz also has convertibles. If I use a broker I can see many convertible options (click)
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:57 am

Did OP end up renting convertible? Please let us know how it went and which company? I might have similar plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.