Search

Transfer OPO/LIS to Coimbra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M+M
Question Transfer OPO/LIS to Coimbra

Hello FTers,

going to Coimbra in September.. and looking for recommendations for transfers (HAM outbound Tuesday, inbound Monday)
- Trains: a bit better (services per day) from LIS than OPO. Maybe - the railways website has kinda confusing timetables/search results.
- Car rental: not going to happen
- Shuttle: not that pricey, but sounds like stopping for multiple clients, requiring a lot of buffer for the return https://www.airportshuttle.pt/Home/InfoPage/29

I lean to OPO for shorter distance and cheaper flights, yet LIS might have more options (train schedule). Other considerations?

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Lots of trains from Porto Campanha to Coimbra-B, and slightly faster than from Lisbon Oriente (Deutsche Bahn Journey planner is easier to navigate than the CP one). Metro goes straight to the train station from the airport in either city.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Hi, last time we stayed at Sandeman (port maker)'s hotel, in the south bank, where all the port makers are. From there to get to Coimbra it's easier (for us) to walk (up) to the nearby "Vila Nova de Gaia" station and take the train there than backtrack to Porto station. Either way, you have to connect at Coimbra-B to Coimbra. It'll make sense on google maps.

Sorry, OP not stopping in OPO at all.

Last edited by csycsycsy; Jun 18, 2023 at 11:15 am
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:10 am

From Coimbra B you just take a cab.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M+M
we're in vila gale, that might go for a nice stroll from coimbra-b, too.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
we're in vila gale, that might go for a nice stroll from coimbra-b, too.
It's walkable, but not "nice" - you're walking underneath the Expressway (A 31) for a bit.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You're looking for trains from Porto-Campanhã to Coimbra-B on CP's website. Plenty of fast trains available (figure 1h20). 2h for an all-stops 1-change train (not worth it).
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Train connections are easy either way (from OPO or LIS). Other people have mentioned the OPO option. Similarly for LIS you would need to take the metro from the airport to Lisboa-Oriente for the trains to Coimbra.

But, even though the Lisbon - Coimbra trains might take a bit longer than Porto - Coimbra due to the longer distance, one advantage for Lisbon is that the airport is basically in the same part of the city as Oriente station - they are maybe 2km apart - so it is a very quick & easy transfer on the metro, whereas in Porto from the airport to the train station you want (Campanhã) you are basically taking the metro across the entire city (although the city is not that huge). I have not timed it out exactly but it might be a wash time-wise.

Also I think there are a few more intercity train options per day from Lisbon compared to Porto. As Palal said you don't want to bother with the slow commuter-type trains from Porto.

So I'd go with whichever option (LIS or OPO) has better flight options from HAM schedule- and price-wise, and take the metro / train from there. I have found CP to be pretty reliable. Well, when they are not on strike of course!
PAX_fips likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.