Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Spain and Portugal trip

Spain and Portugal trip

Old May 18, 2023, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Spain and Portugal trip

I've booked a trip to Lisbon this October and will be flying back home from Barcelona. Was hoping to find another city to go to in between these 2 cities. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I considered Porto but it'll be colder and fairly rainy during that time of year.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM
How long do you have? Have you been anywhere else in the two countries? What interests do you have? How would you get from Lisbon to Barcelona? Flight?
What about flying to Madrid, then train to Barcelona? Better to ask this question in the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum.
samoyeddillpickle likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:50 pm

Just a heads up that this will probably get moved to the "Europe" destination forum.

How late in October are you going? Either way, that can be a great time to go to Porto since it's not as hot but still warm enough. Seville would be my recommendation though. That's an easy (but pretty long) drive or bus ride, or a very short flight. It will also give you a really great experience in Spain before heading to Barcelona. The two cities could not be more different - seeing Seville/Andalucia first will show you what classic Spain was like and will be a nice contrast to modern Barcelona.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by pstm91
Just a heads up that this will probably get moved to the "Europe" destination forum.

How late in October are you going? Either way, that can be a great time to go to Porto since it's not as hot but still warm enough. Seville would be my recommendation though. That's an easy (but pretty long) drive or bus ride, or a very short flight. It will also give you a really great experience in Spain before heading to Barcelona. The two cities could not be more different - seeing Seville/Andalucia first will show you what classic Spain was like and will be a nice contrast to modern Barcelona.
That was going to be my other suggestion. I just didn't know how they were getting there. Also, isn't Sevilla - Barcelona a longer train ride? But it is my favorite city and area in Spain!
Old May 19, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by realworld
That was going to be my other suggestion. I just didn't know how they were getting there. Also, isn't Sevilla - Barcelona a longer train ride? But it is my favorite city and area in Spain!
The issue is getting from Lisbon to Barcelona where there's not a rail connection. The easiest way is driving or bus.

From Seville to Barcelona, flying is probably best as it would be 6-7 hours or so on the train.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
The issue is getting from Lisbon to Barcelona where there's not a rail connection. The easiest way is driving or bus.

From Seville to Barcelona, flying is probably best as it would be 6-7 hours or so on the train.
Yeah, I remember looking at that once. I think it was quicker to do Sevilla-Madrid-Barcelona on high speed trains than the slower train route along the coast. But yes, flying would be better. That is why I was thinking Madrid, with easy day trips to places like Toledo.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I think it was quicker to do Sevilla-Madrid-Barcelona on high speed trains than the slower train route along the coast.
There are direct Sevilla to Barcelona trains, and they can be as quick as 5h30. The choice between flying and taking the train is not as abvious anymore, since door to door (city centre) the travel time is about the same.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:43 am
Original Poster

How long do you have? Have you been anywhere else in the two countries? What interests do you have? How would you get from Lisbon to Barcelona? Flight?
What about flying to Madrid, then train to Barcelona? Better to ask this question in the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum.
Sorry. I should have posted more specifics. I'll be gone for 2 weeks. I love to learn more about the culture. I usually focus on food and activities. I'm thinking of taking a train between cities. Not thinking about Madrid because my partner has already been. I didn't even see that forum but thankfully the admin has moved the forum.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Will be going at the beginning of October
Old May 20, 2023, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby
There are direct Sevilla to Barcelona trains, and they can be as quick as 5h30. The choice between flying and taking the train is not as abvious anymore, since door to door (city centre) the travel time is about the same.
I was also looking into Seville and would take the train from there to Barcelona. Would you recommend Seville over other cities for a first time traveler?
Old May 20, 2023, 1:24 pm

Yes, you get a good sense of the culture in Seville. It is compact enough to walk. Historical sites. And you can cross the river into Triana for a more local feel.
The Plaza de Espana is magical, the university is interesting, the alcazar there is beautiful. Sundays people just stroll around and enjoy the outdoors.
Sit, have a drink, relax and watch the world go by.
Old May 21, 2023, 2:25 am

I agree with pstm91. New Spanish train services for 2023 offer a range of possibilities well worth considering including services to Seville
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm
Old May 25, 2023, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Yes, you get a good sense of the culture in Seville. It is compact enough to walk. Historical sites. And you can cross the river into Triana for a more local feel.
The Plaza de Espana is magical, the university is interesting, the alcazar there is beautiful. Sundays people just stroll around and enjoy the outdoors.
Sit, have a drink, relax and watch the world go by.
That sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. How many days would you recommend? Would 3 days be enough to get a feel for the place?
realworld likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by samoyeddillpickle
That sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. How many days would you recommend? Would 3 days be enough to get a feel for the place?
Yes, it is small enough you can cover it well in 3 days.
farci likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
I agree with pstm91. New Spanish train services for 2023 offer a range of possibilities well worth considering including services to Seville
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm
Thank you for the link. I was reading on another forum that it takes 16 hours to take the train from Lisbon to Seville and was looking at flight options for that leg of the trip but found a different option thanks to your website.
realworld likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.