Pickpocket likely cased/targeted me for watch theft in Barcelona

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pickpocket likely cased/targeted me for watch theft in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: Emirates
It’s worth mentioning that I’ve lived in Spain several months per year for the last 15 years, and had very few problems. No matter where you live there are always attacks and robberies, you just need not to be foolish and adopt a careful and sensible perspective. As an old acquaintance once said to me he refused to have nice things that gave him pleasure and then keep everything under lock and key. If you think about it, we underestimate the risk of car accidents, and over estimate the probability of robbery. Drive carefully.
NickB and LupineChemist like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Two more nights here in Barcelona… on the first day, me and Mrs Adelphos walked through Gothic Quarter and Born (great neighborhoods) and happened upon a relatively empty block on the way to a restaurant. A kid walks up to me and asks (in broken English) “Where is cathedral?”

I keep walking and shake my head… he then asks

“Where you from?”

I say - America
I don't know what it is, but everywhere I've been if you pretend to be a German who doesn't speak English people quickly leave you alone.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I don't know what it is, but everywhere I've been if you pretend to be a German who doesn't speak English people quickly leave you alone.
My personal fav is to pretend I am Russian, particularly in Mexico when approached by timeshare hacks, to wit: "No entiendo, soy Ruskie" This also work in France with "Je no ce pas France"

Of course none of the Mexicans are fooled by this, but it often evokes a laugh and some will try to trick me by yelling in English.

A NYC favorite is to walk in a crazy manner and start yelling random phrases - the last thing a perp wants is to deal with an unpredictable crazy person.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
My personal fav is to pretend I am Russian, particularly in Mexico when approached by timeshare hacks, to wit: "No entiendo, soy Ruskie" This also work in France with "Je no ce pas France"

Of course none of the Mexicans are fooled by this, but it often evokes a laugh and some will try to trick me by yelling in English.

A NYC favorite is to walk in a crazy manner and start yelling random phrases - the last thing a perp wants is to deal with an unpredictable crazy person.
The one to use in Mexico is "no fumar espanol". This is used in adventure motorcycling to such great effect it even frustrates corrupt police who want to extort money from you.
Boraxo and beltway like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Shylok
Makes my stomach churn a little as I was headed to Barcelona to see how it was from the aspect of living there for 3-4 months a year.
I guess this is the trouble with some tourist heavy cities
Check out the Canary Islands, best weather not just in Spain but in all of Europe, and very low on crime.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:29 pm

Makes my stomach churn a little as I was headed to Barcelona to see how it was from the aspect of living there for 3-4 months a year. We enjoyed our last visit but that was just being a tourist. We checked out Valencia for a few weeks to see if we could live there, and it was very boring and slow. I just don't like the idea of having to be worried about getting robbed on a regular basis. I don't want to live in a heightened sense of alertness. I guess this is the trouble with some tourist heavy cities
So my vacation experience was I didn't find Barcelona to be any more crime ridden than any other large city. Maybe less so, to be honest, especially compared to cities in the US now. I dressed well, wore an expensive watch, and carrier a camera on my shoulder (not cross body or my neck even) everywhere I went.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by aster
Check out the Canary Islands, best weather not just in Spain but in all of Europe, and very low on crime.
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
So my vacation experience was I didn't find Barcelona to be any more crime ridden than any other large city. Maybe less so, to be honest, especially compared to cities in the US now. I dressed well, wore an expensive watch, and carrier a camera on my shoulder (not cross body or my neck even) everywhere I went.
Will check out Canary islands, I am in Vienna and quite enjoying it.. Except for the fact it says feels like -9c this morning.
​​​​So looking for somewhere like Munich or Vienna, but warmer lol.

We survived Barcelona no issues thankfully. But it wasn't a busy season for sure.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 3:59 am

Will check out Canary islands, I am in Vienna and quite enjoying it.. Except for the fact it says feels like -9c this morning.
​​​​So looking for somewhere like Munich or Vienna, but warmer lol.

We survived Barcelona no issues thankfully. But it wasn't a busy season for sure.
Try Labstelle while in Voenna, a restaurant that really punches above its price point.
StartinSanDiego and Shylok like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Yes I remember seeing a youtube video that it was number 1 in pickpocketing
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by Boraxo;[url=tel:34869426
34869426[/url]]
Maybe I will try this next time I’m traveling.

I was just in BCN for about four nights with relatives. I stressed to them not to take anything with them they didn’t need. I can promise you they were distracted looking in every window shop, loaded with shopping bags, and otherwise being aloof.

Thankfully no issues. They did see one young girl crying to the cops because her backpack was stolen.

As others have said, always be vigilant, and be wary of anyone getting too close and/or being too friendly.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
FYI, A lot of pickpocketers are FEMALE, do not think it is just males.

If you are Asian (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc) They will target you as they know most likely you are tourists and come from "safe" countries, thus your guard is down.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:57 pm

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Spain and France and as a first timer I was hyper aware of presence of the presence of pickpockets especially riding crowded Barcelona and Paris trains. I never ever let my guard down whether I'm walking in downtown SF or I'm riding BART. In fact my personal rule in situations like BART, downtown SF, (or on this trip, Barcelona or Paris) is to never carry anything on the streets I wouldn't be willing to take a loss on. My iPhone, my Apple Watch, my credit cards, my Tesla key card are all items I'd quickly give up to a knife or gun wielding thief. Same goes for pickpockets, any of those items would be annoying to lose but it wouldn't put me at an unthinkable loss and they are ultimately replaceable. The only compromise I have to make is carrying my driver license which unfortunately would expose me to identity theft if stolen but it's a must to carry it.

This time during our trip though, the wife wanted to buy a nice handbag at the Chanel store in Paris. I was ok with doing that as long as it was store to taxi and back to hotel to leave bag. She decided that we should walk around for a few blocks and look for a cafe or restaurant after leaving the store. I was really paranoid because, although the neighborhood looked fine, I felt extremely vulnerable walking with a bag that says "I'm carrying something very expensive, come and take it!". This definitely was breaking my rule of not carrying anything I wouldn't be willing to take a loss on. Fortunately everything was uneventful

Same as others have said to OP, I just wouldn't carry valuables such as an expensive watch and I would always have my guard up. The reality is the situation is just deteriorating worldwide.
Boraxo, JFSV and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by xchpstang
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Spain and France and as a first timer I was hyper aware of presence of the presence of pickpockets especially riding crowded Barcelona and Paris trains. I never ever let my guard down whether I'm walking in downtown SF or I'm riding BART. In fact my personal rule in situations like BART, downtown SF, (or on this trip, Barcelona or Paris) is to never carry anything on the streets I wouldn't be willing to take a loss on. My iPhone, my Apple Watch, my credit cards, my Tesla key card are all items I'd quickly give up to a knife or gun wielding thief. Same goes for pickpockets, any of those items would be annoying to lose but it wouldn't put me at an unthinkable loss and they are ultimately replaceable. The only compromise I have to make is carrying my driver license which unfortunately would expose me to identity theft if stolen but it's a must to carry it.

This time during our trip though, the wife wanted to buy a nice handbag at the Chanel store in Paris. I was ok with doing that as long as it was store to taxi and back to hotel to leave bag. She decided that we should walk around for a few blocks and look for a cafe or restaurant after leaving the store. I was really paranoid because, although the neighborhood looked fine, I felt extremely vulnerable walking with a bag that says "I'm carrying something very expensive, come and take it!". This definitely was breaking my rule of not carrying anything I wouldn't be willing to take a loss on. Fortunately everything was uneventful

Same as others have said to OP, I just wouldn't carry valuables such as an expensive watch and I would always have my guard up. The reality is the situation is just deteriorating worldwide.
This is a level of paranoia that is unnecessary. I have been all around the world with shopping bags from nice stores, wearing an expensive watch, carrying expensive camera equipment. Outside of the USA nobody is going to stick you up for this stuff (well, UK too, but there its just at night if you are inebriated or old pretty much) for this stuff, though they may hope to grab it when you aren't look. Just always be looking, no problems.
pbiflyer and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yes, pickpockets in Europe can be a problem, but they are very rarely violent. The goal is to be away before you're even noticed so if you keep watch over your stuff, that's plenty. It would be extraordinary for someone to use a weapon to mug someone like in the US. The reason being that basically nothing will happen for small theft and pickpocketing but police will actually investigate and judgest will sentence if there's a weapon involved so it's dumb from the criminal's POV to escalate as the risk/reward gets far less favorable.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Two more nights here in Barcelona… on the first day, me and Mrs Adelphos walked through Gothic Quarter and Born (great neighborhoods) and happened upon a relatively empty block on the way to a restaurant. A kid walks up to me and asks (in broken English) “Where is cathedral?”

I keep walking and shake my head… he then asks

“Where you from?”

I say - America

He the says “America!!! Hi Five!” And holds his right arm out to the left side of my body…

I roll my eyes, and while still walking briskly, give him a very quick slap on the hand with my left to get him away.

He then says “Hi Five Again!”

At this point, I get annoyed, stare him down and just increase my pace and keep walking. He kind of smirks and stands still as I pass him.

A block or two later, me and Mrs Adelphos realize what he/they were trying to do - get my left arm exposed long enough so he and maybe a buddy could grab the watch off my arm. Luckily I am a good bit larger/likely stronger than the kid who approached me - otherwise he may have attempted it on the first “Hi Five!”

Moral of the story - be wary of watch theft, especially in Europe and increasingly in America. Keep an eye on your watch, and if you plan to be out drinking very late, leave it in the safe
I would love to go to Barcelona. I guess pickpockets are everywhere, so all the stories about robbery in Barcelona shouldn't make me scared of visiting the city. I'll just make sure to be careful when talking to people and walking in public spaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.