Pickpocket likely cased/targeted me for watch theft in Barcelona

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Two more nights here in Barcelona… on the first day, me and Mrs Adelphos walked through Gothic Quarter and Born (great neighborhoods) and happened upon a relatively empty block on the way to a restaurant. A kid walks up to me and asks (in broken English) “Where is cathedral?”

I keep walking and shake my head… he then asks

“Where you from?”

I say - America

He the says “America!!! Hi Five!” And holds his right arm out to the left side of my body…

I roll my eyes, and while still walking briskly, give him a very quick slap on the hand with my left to get him away.

He then says “Hi Five Again!”

At this point, I get annoyed, stare him down and just increase my pace and keep walking. He kind of smirks and stands still as I pass him.

A block or two later, me and Mrs Adelphos realize what he/they were trying to do - get my left arm exposed long enough so he and maybe a buddy could grab the watch off my arm. Luckily I am a good bit larger/likely stronger than the kid who approached me - otherwise he may have attempted it on the first “Hi Five!”

Moral of the story - be wary of watch theft, especially in Europe and increasingly in America. Keep an eye on your watch, and if you plan to be out drinking very late, leave it in the safe
SanDiego1K and AlEtRONt like this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Barcelona is rife with pick-pockets. It's been a well known issue for decades.
farci and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:04 pm

Stupid local laws that do not punish pickpockets , stupid Communist Mayor.
You have the underage Moroccans, the Peruvians and Romanians in the subway, Algerians on Las Ramblas... it´s like the pickpockets UN. They all flock to BCN since they know it is full with tourists and nothing will ever happen to them.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Really, what he wanted is to have your arm away from your pocket so that his friend can pick it. My husband was targeted by a gang of pickpockets on a Berlin metro. The first, an old lady tripped him as he walked on the car, then two strong men held both of his arms to "help" him. The fourth one reached into his pocket. My husband felt a hand in his pocket. Pull one hand down to protect his wallet. The four of them disappeared before the door closed. All took less than 20 seconds. My husband credit his cell phone holster and tight blue jeans for saving the day. He wears his cell phone just above the opening of his jean (front) pocket that holds his wallet. It is more difficult to remove a wallet from a tight pocket and having to get pass an iphone.

Thanks for the reminder. We are heading to Spain in a few days.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This completely puts me off going to Barcelona, which I have never visited. It put me off Lisbon too, but when I went there during the pandemic all the scum had gone. Apparently they were claiming unemployment benefits for loss of earnings and money due to the absence of tourists. They have no shame. I know we shouldn't wish bad things on people, but I do wish Covid or some massive tornado would carry that lot off and sink them to the bottom of the ocean. Nobody wants them.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Concerto
This completely puts me off going to Barcelona, which I have never visited. It put me off Lisbon too, but when I went there during the pandemic all the scum had gone. Apparently they were claiming unemployment benefits for loss of earnings and money due to the absence of tourists. They have no shame. I know we shouldn't wish bad things on people, but I do wish Covid or some massive tornado would carry that lot off and sink them to the bottom of the ocean. Nobody wants them.
I had an outstanding time in Barcelona and recommend it
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Ok, thanks for this. Just what I needed to hear! I'll get there one of these days...
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
BCN is indeed way worse than Madrid in terms of pickpockets. It can happen to us Spaniards as well, though in most cases the scumbags can easily spot non-locals/tourists, which make easier targets especially with sophisticated tricks. BCN can be visited with common sense precautions, but you should be careful especially in super touristy spots (Ramblas, etc), dark alleys, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Platinum
We just had six nights in each of BCN, LIS and Porto without any problems. Just be careful and you will be fine.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Maybe I'm a little neurotic in light of the recent rash of rolex robberies in the SF area. But who wears an expensive watch when traveling? Leave all the bling at home.

For those who say avoid Barcelona, puhlease. This can happen anywhere. Our neighbor who is a very experienced traveler was pickpocketed on the Paris metro. Petty theft has been a problem for years. Simple precautions can usually ensure you do not become a victim.
Silver Fox and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Maybe I'm a little neurotic in light of the recent rash of rolex robberies in the SF area. But who wears an expensive watch when traveling? Leave all the bling at home.

For those who say avoid Barcelona, puhlease. This can happen anywhere. Our neighbor who is a very experienced traveler was pickpocketed on the Paris metro. Petty theft has been a problem for years. Simple precautions can usually ensure you do not become a victim.
SF area doesn’t have a pickpocket problem. Robbing you at gun point is not pickpocket 🤣
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: Emirates
My experience.
When I was getting out of the car in south Spain a nice young looking girl (she was alone) asked me where the restaurant X was.
This was not in a tourist area, but in a "safe" but quiet local area near some shops, etc.
I pointed and she thanked me profusely, grabbing my arm. She was a bit strange, and a bit too friendly.
So I pushed her away, but not overly forcefully as you might with a man.
She grabbed my arm again, and finally says thanks, etc. I check my pockets, etc., so no problem.
About ˝ hour later I looked for my 40-year old Rolex, under my golf jacket with quite tight fitted arms.
She had taken my watch without me feeling anything.
Made the declaration to the local police, who were very professional.
But I learned that there was a group of well trained girls (probably Romanians) working the region.
They asked if I saw a car parked nearby, etc. with someone in it.
But the area of shops, etc. had a small parking area, and they could have been anywhere.
Looked though the mug shot but could not ID her.
Two weeks later they called me in again and showed me some more mug shots. I could ID her immediately.
She had been caught in Alicante. I made the formal declaration for the trial, etc.
I did not get the watch back, but I did make a declaration to Rolex, just in case it appears for repair or cleaning.
I made a declaration to my insurance, and I had the original purchase, and recent cleaning and revision bill.
My jewellers made an estimate of the value of the Rolex on the second-hand collectors market, and my insurance reimbursed the full sum.
I now just use my iPhone when I need the time, and I'm thinking about a Apple Watch.

So no violence, but I must admit a great bit of "social engineering", and a magician's dexterity.
As the police said, she will be sentenced, and sent back. But the "man" who was running the girls, was never caught.

You live and learn
Adelphos likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffSmith
My experience.
When I was getting out of the car in south Spain a nice young looking girl (she was alone) asked me where the restaurant X was.
This was not in a tourist area, but in a "safe" but quiet local area near some shops, etc.
I pointed and she thanked me profusely, grabbing my arm. She was a bit strange, and a bit too friendly.
So I pushed her away, but not overly forcefully as you might with a man.
She grabbed my arm again, and finally says thanks, etc. I check my pockets, etc., so no problem.
About ˝ hour later I looked for my 40-year old Rolex, under my golf jacket with quite tight fitted arms.
She had taken my watch without me feeling anything.
Made the declaration to the local police, who were very professional.
But I learned that there was a group of well trained girls (probably Romanians) working the region.
They asked if I saw a car parked nearby, etc. with someone in it.
But the area of shops, etc. had a small parking area, and they could have been anywhere.
Looked though the mug shot but could not ID her.
Two weeks later they called me in again and showed me some more mug shots. I could ID her immediately.
She had been caught in Alicante. I made the formal declaration for the trial, etc.
I did not get the watch back, but I did make a declaration to Rolex, just in case it appears for repair or cleaning.
I made a declaration to my insurance, and I had the original purchase, and recent cleaning and revision bill.
My jewellers made an estimate of the value of the Rolex on the second-hand collectors market, and my insurance reimbursed the full sum.
I now just use my iPhone when I need the time, and I'm thinking about a Apple Watch.

So no violence, but I must admit a great bit of "social engineering", and a magician's dexterity.
As the police said, she will be sentenced, and sent back. But the "man" who was running the girls, was never caught.

You live and learn
I just read a bunch of posts on Reddit about robberies, and pickpockets in Barcelona. Apparently it's much worse than before covid. Knife point is becoming common now.

I don't think wearing a apple watch will get you any less attention from watch thieves. Also it seems you now have to be very alert taking out your phone, as they'll do a runner and rip it out of your hands.

I remember when I was there last this guy attempted to pickpocket my phone from my jacket by rushing up to me, hitting left arm to try and grab on right. I shoved him hard and screamed at him. I realized he had a bunch of buddy's 100yards away so. High tailed it out of there into the middle of the road under full lights.

I think this time I'll just pay for a cab or whichever to get me at the door or the restaurant.
Issue with going out to restaurants and bars is they are sometimes on inside streets, and you got to walk a ways when you get out.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: Emirates
I know that bags, iPhones, etc. are being grabbed by gangs of children, or by teenagers on scooters, etc. In particular Barcelona and Paris have been mentioned. There is an increase in attacks on older people, in particular if they have come out of a post office or bank.
Also there has been an increase in necklaces, etc. being grabbed and pulled. And as you mention knife crime is on the increase. One person I know goes out with minimum cash and nothing else except his older iPhone, just for phoning and taking pictures. Everything else stays in the hotel room wall safe. And my wife now does not go out with a bag, etc. And there is the usual smash and grab on cars waiting at traffic lights.
Another trick seen in Spain is when you are parked, they puncture a tyre. When you return someone approaches you to offer help and advice. You and your passengers become defensive, and whilst you are focussed on the that "someone", another person hidden nearby opens any unguarded doors and takes what they can. I've also heard of a single woman driver being approached in a parking for directions, and whilst they are focussed on that "someone", the "other" opens the passenger door and takes handbag, etc. The car's central locking had not yet been automatically activated.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by GeoffSmith
I know that bags, iPhones, etc. are being grabbed by gangs of children, or by teenagers on scooters, etc. In particular Barcelona and Paris have been mentioned. There is an increase in attacks on older people, in particular if they have come out of a post office or bank.
Also there has been an increase in necklaces, etc. being grabbed and pulled. And as you mention knife crime is on the increase. One person I know goes out with minimum cash and nothing else except his older iPhone, just for phoning and taking pictures. Everything else stays in the hotel room wall safe. And my wife now does not go out with a bag, etc. And there is the usual smash and grab on cars waiting at traffic lights.
Another trick seen in Spain is when you are parked, they puncture a tyre. When you return someone approaches you to offer help and advice. You and your passengers become defensive, and whilst you are focussed on the that "someone", another person hidden nearby opens any unguarded doors and takes what they can. I've also heard of a single woman driver being approached in a parking for directions, and whilst they are focussed on that "someone", the "other" opens the passenger door and takes handbag, etc. The car's central locking had not yet been automatically activated.
Makes my stomach churn a little as I was headed to Barcelona to see how it was from the aspect of living there for 3-4 months a year. We enjoyed our last visit but that was just being a tourist. We checked out Valencia for a few weeks to see if we could live there, and it was very boring and slow. I just don't like the idea of having to be worried about getting robbed on a regular basis. I don't want to live in a heightened sense of alertness. I guess this is the trouble with some tourist heavy cities
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.