Search

Off the beaten path in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Off the beaten path in Madrid

Headed to Madrid in February. I have visited several times before, all brief visits. But now I have managed to hit all the highlights. Prado, Reina, Royal Palace, Retiro Park, Plaza Major, Puerta del Sol, Botin, Gran Via, etc.

I have a weekend to spend in Madrid, Friday evening to Monday morning.
Last year, I spent a weekend in Barcelona and loved just wandering around. It seemed like there were endless neighborhoods to discover.
I was wondering if there are good areas to just wander around in Madrid. I think I have covered almost everything between Retiro Park and the Royal Palace. Now I want to go a bit further afield. Suggestions for good neighborhoods for eating, drinking, shopping, exploring?
I do like parks, especially if there is a place to get drinks and sit outside. Will probably revisit Retiro, but are there other good ones? Casa De Campo seems overwhelming without a car.
How about the park where the Temple Debod (sp?) is?
Other markets beside Mercado San Miguel?

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Headed to Madrid in February. I have visited several times before, all brief visits. But now I have managed to hit all the highlights. Prado, Reina, Royal Palace, Retiro Park, Plaza Major, Puerta del Sol, Botin, Gran Via, etc.

I have a weekend to spend in Madrid, Friday evening to Monday morning.
Last year, I spent a weekend in Barcelona and loved just wandering around. It seemed like there were endless neighborhoods to discover.
I was wondering if there are good areas to just wander around in Madrid. I think I have covered almost everything between Retiro Park and the Royal Palace. Now I want to go a bit further afield. Suggestions for good neighborhoods for eating, drinking, shopping, exploring?
I do like parks, especially if there is a place to get drinks and sit outside. Will probably revisit Retiro, but are there other good ones? Casa De Campo seems overwhelming without a car.
How about the park where the Temple Debod (sp?) is?
Other markets beside Mercado San Miguel?

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
The Lavapies neighborhood is very interesting to walk around. It's the former Jewish neighborhood in Madrid.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I second Lavapies, and would add Salamanca and Chueca/Malasaña neighborhoods, 3 very different vibes. Mercado de San Anton is another one to check out. You might also like the Matadero on the south side of the city, and it’s right along the river which has paths all along it for walking/running/biking.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. great suggestions. Doing a bit of research, these neighborhoods all sound great.

For the Matadero, would it make sense to start at the Legapzi subway stop and walk up to the Marques de Vadillo subway stop?

Last edited by pbiflyer; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
The Matadero is right next to the Legazpi Metro stop. If you want to walk along the river from there, you could easily go up to Marquès de Vadillo or the Pirámides stop. You should also be able to look up what events are going on at the Matadero on its website.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I would suggest you explore the Salamanca neighbourhood. Starting from Puerta de Alcala, all the way up to Ventas (Plaza de Toros) and then the side streets of Salamanca e.g Velazquez, Serrano and the smaller ones. Plenty of shops and bars to hang out.

Marques de Vadillo area is mostly locals. You may want to be extra cautious if hanging out there.

Templo de Debod is nice too.

You could also do a day trip to El Escorial, for example, in case you have not been there already. I am from Madrid so feel free to ask further questions.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spainlover
The Matadero is right next to the Legazpi Metro stop. If you want to walk along the river from there, you could easily go up to Marquès de Vadillo or the Pirámides stop. You should also be able to look up what events are going on at the Matadero on its website.
I misread your original post. The Matadero sounds great. Thanks!

Originally Posted by JFSV
I would suggest you explore the Salamanca neighbourhood. Starting from Puerta de Alcala, all the way up to Ventas (Plaza de Toros) and then the side streets of Salamanca e.g Velazquez, Serrano and the smaller ones. Plenty of shops and bars to hang out.

Marques de Vadillo area is mostly locals. You may want to be extra cautious if hanging out there.

You could also do a day trip to El Escorial, for example, in case you have not been there already. I am from Madrid so feel free to ask further questions.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
spainlover likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: American Airlines
I’ve always enjoyed La Copita Asturiana restaurant. Hard to get in, but worth it. La Latina area, I think. I usually just eat my way down Cava Baja most nights.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catcher1
The Lavapies neighborhood is very interesting to walk around. It's the former Jewish neighborhood in Madrid.
Originally Posted by spainlover
I second Lavapies, and would add Salamanca and Chueca/Malasaña neighborhoods, 3 very different vibes. Mercado de San Anton is another one to check out. You might also like the Matadero on the south side of the city, and it’s right along the river which has paths all along it for walking/running/biking.
Originally Posted by JFSV

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Lavapies neighborhood was just what I was looking for. Spent a great deal of my time eating and drinking there. No menus in English, no tourists (well, me). Walked to Mercado de San Miguel from there. Wandered down a street on the northern edge of the neighborhood where I got looks like "How lost are you???" Would have hung out there, but had to meet co-workers.
The Pollo Hortelano at Tapas v Fotos bar was the best tasting chicken I think I ever had. Went back a second night for it.

The Salamanca neighborhood was also great. Lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. Great little jewelry shop called "1 Para Mi". Great ice cream shop called La Commedia. Co-worker also explored that area and loved it.
Went to the Goya neighborhood as well. Wish I would have known the Copa Del Rey basketball tournament was going on, would have got tickets.

Wish I had more time to check out more of the suggestions. Had a great time. Thanks again all!
spainlover, catcher1 and JFSV like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:04 pm

I love La Commedia. It might be my favorite ice cream in the world after a place in my hometown that I'm partial to.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks for the thread. We have a trip to MAD late November 2 couples, and I was looking at something like this. Currently looking at staying at the Holiday Inn Piramides.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you are near the Riena Sophia or Prado, there was a cool like tapas bar called Tinto y Tapas Bar at Calle de Almadén, 14. Small, but nice wine and good tapas.
Great beer places, close to each other, are Chinaski Lavapiés at Calle de la Fe, 19 and El Pedal at Calle Argumosa, 33.

Ton of restaurants in the Lavapies neighborhood, especially near the intersection of Calle Argumosa and Calle Salitre
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA
I like going out for Tapas along calle de la cava baja the in La Latina. Also, day trips to Alcala de Henares or even Segovia are doable in a day
4sallypat likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Headed to Madrid in February. .
How was the weather? I am headed to MAD in Feb 2020 and have read its about 50 during the day, what was it like for you?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kadence
How was the weather? I am headed to MAD in Feb 2020 and have read its about 50 during the day, what was it like for you?
I wore a light jacket or just a long sleeve tshirt during the day. At night, it was a light jacket and long sleeve shirt.
It was sunny the entire time I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.