FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Off the beaten path in Madrid
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:07 am
pbiflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by catcher1
The Lavapies neighborhood is very interesting to walk around. It's the former Jewish neighborhood in Madrid.
Originally Posted by spainlover
I second Lavapies, and would add Salamanca and Chueca/Malasaña neighborhoods, 3 very different vibes. Mercado de San Anton is another one to check out. You might also like the Matadero on the south side of the city, and it’s right along the river which has paths all along it for walking/running/biking.
Originally Posted by JFSV
I would suggest you explore the Salamanca neighbourhood. Starting from Puerta de Alcala, all the way up to Ventas (Plaza de Toros) and then the side streets of Salamanca e.g Velazquez, Serrano and the smaller ones. Plenty of shops and bars to hang out.

Marques de Vadillo area is mostly locals. You may want to be extra cautious if hanging out there.

Templo de Debod is nice too.

You could also do a day trip to El Escorial, for example, in case you have not been there already. I am from Madrid so feel free to ask further questions.
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Lavapies neighborhood was just what I was looking for. Spent a great deal of my time eating and drinking there. No menus in English, no tourists (well, me). Walked to Mercado de San Miguel from there. Wandered down a street on the northern edge of the neighborhood where I got looks like "How lost are you???" Would have hung out there, but had to meet co-workers.
The Pollo Hortelano at Tapas v Fotos bar was the best tasting chicken I think I ever had. Went back a second night for it.

The Salamanca neighborhood was also great. Lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. Great little jewelry shop called "1 Para Mi". Great ice cream shop called La Commedia. Co-worker also explored that area and loved it.
Went to the Goya neighborhood as well. Wish I would have known the Copa Del Rey basketball tournament was going on, would have got tickets.

Wish I had more time to check out more of the suggestions. Had a great time. Thanks again all!