Search

Advice sought - 9 days around Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Advice sought - 9 days around Barcelona

I'm looking for feedback and recommendations for a family trip this summer. I'm holding reservations to BCN - in the morning of Day 1 and out the morning of Day 10. So we probably have noon on the arrival date through the night of Day 9.

After only a few hours of research, I have

Days 1 (out seeing the city by noon),2,3,4,5 - Barcelona
Day 6 - early flight to Madrid, out seeing the city by noon
Day 7 - Madrid
Day 8 - early train to Valencia, out seeing the city by noon
Day 9 - Valencia until 3p, then 6p train to Barcelona for morning flight.

So 4.5 days BCN, 1.5+ MAD, 1+ VLC

Family travel, kids 14 and 19 - mostly sightseeing, architecture, day trip to Montserrat/Dali museum, etc. Not foodies/night life/etc.

Comments/Suggestions?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Initial reactions:
  • Consider taking train from Barcelona to Madrid. It would probably be quicker when you take into account getting in and out of the airports.
  • Spend more time in Madrid to allow for Museums and day trips to Toledo and Segovia. I would delete Valencia rather than cutting into time spent in Barcelona.
  • Definitely do Montserrat and Dali museum. Check out Spanish Trails ? Day tours from Barcelona and Madrid, Spain. Whether you choose to use them, the site gives good ideas for exploring. We used them on our last trip and will be using them again when we are there in March.
  • In Barcelona, the Sagrada Familia is a must see. Buy your tickets well in advance online, to avoid lines.
  • While you may not be a foodie, an organized tapas crawl, can be great fun and is a wonderful introduction to an important part of life there.
This will be our third visit to Barcelona. Feel free to PM me for further questions.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Train was my first thought, but BCN-MAD appears to be $50-60 and 90 minutes by air vs. $120 and 3h+ by train. Total time probably would be a wash. If the numbers change, I would go to train, but it doesn't seem worth paying $250 more for the family.

I think the question of staying in Madrid vs. going to Valencia will be the key decision.

Thanks for the links/heads-up on advance reservations. I'll factor them into the planning process.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
Train was my first thought, but BCN-MAD appears to be $50-60 and 90 minutes by air vs. $120 and 3h+ by train. Total time probably would be a wash. If the numbers change, I would go to train, but it doesn't seem worth paying $250 more for the family.

I think the question of staying in Madrid vs. going to Valencia will be the key decision.

Thanks for the links/heads-up on advance reservations. I'll factor them into the planning process.
If you have not been to Madrid before, I would second the dropping of Valencia. We did your day and half the first time there and really wished we had more time. And the day trips will be well worth it. I am heading to Madrid in January and doing a couple days in Toledo. Easy trip, cheap, lots of history with any of the choices.
(BTW, I struggled with the train/plane issue with MAD-BCN. I picked plane as well, but was staying near MAD airport)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Silver
For a summer trip to Barcelona, I would suggest a day visit to Sitges, a lovely small beach town, 30 minutes drive from BCN and with train access, also 30 min ride. Good places to try seafood, can give you some recommendations if you decide to add it to your list.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Don't worry about flying. It's true the train is more convenient and comfortable, but I'm assuming as someone active on FT, you know your way around an airport so it shouldn't be an issue.

With 4 people, it would make reasonable sense to just get a taxi into Madrid city center, too so would be really quick.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you have not been to Spain before, drop Valencia and devote some additional time to Madrid. The first time I went, I had four (or five, I forget, it was a 15-16 day trip) full days based in Madrid. I felt like I had barely scratched the surface and went back six months later for a week! It would have been nice to do an open-jaw ticket for your itinerary, so if your ticket still isn't locked in, try to go into BCN and return from MAD instead.

Last edited by monvoyage; Jan 23, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich

Do not forget to factor in the cost/time of getting to/from the airports. Depending on where you stay, it could add cost. Getting to/from Madrid airport form city center is $30 each way and Barcelona closer to $40. While there is public transport options, they can be time consuming and not convinient.
I just did this and flew. But I was staying by the Madrid airport and could use their shuttle. But the Barcelona taxi was $38. On the way back I took the subway, but took almost an hour and 2 changes.

I echo everyone else's advice to skip Valencia and add time to Madrid or a day trip top Toledo or Segovia.
While In Barcelona and Madrid, take time to visit the parks and stroll through. Retiro in Madrid and Ciutadella in Barcelona.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Do not forget to factor in the cost/time of getting to/from the airports. Depending on where you stay, it could add cost. Getting to/from Madrid airport form city center is $30 each way and Barcelona closer to $40. While there is public transport options, they can be time consuming and not convinient.
I just did this and flew. But I was staying by the Madrid airport and could use their shuttle. But the Barcelona taxi was $38. On the way back I took the subway, but took almost an hour and 2 changes.

I echo everyone else's advice to skip Valencia and add time to Madrid or a day trip top Toledo or Segovia.
While In Barcelona and Madrid, take time to visit the parks and stroll through. Retiro in Madrid and Ciutadella in Barcelona.
The Aerobus in Barcelona will get you from BCN to Plaça Catalunya or vice versa in about 20 mins (even though the website shows a longer time) for 6 euros, and the bus is just right there, curbside at the terminal. It's a great option if you are staying near the main plaza. Obviously, the economics change if you are four or six people as opposed to one or two, but for many folks it is an attractive alternative. You can even pay the driver in cash.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess this is a good thread to bump rather than create a new one.

I will be in Madrid Spain on company dime in January. Since it is likely the last European trip on company dime (being bought by a US company ), I am extending the trip on both sides. One is likely a non Spain destination.
But beforehand, I think I am likely going to revisit Barcelona. I visited for a very short 48 hours previously. So, this time I will explore a bit more of Barcelona, but will likely have time for a day trip or two.

Background: I have already visited a ton of places in Spain, but none around Barcelona. Spend time in Andalusia and around Madrid. I do like seeing historical sites, especially really old stuff, but mostly enjoy embracing the culture. Would rather sit in a outdoor cafe watching the world go by than a museum. Ideal day would be walking through Roman ruins to a park where I can grab a drink and listen to music. Less touristy is ideal too.
Since it is January, I am guessing most of the beach towns like Stiges and Calella de Palafrugell are out, but I could be wrong.

On the radar:
Montserrat. Cog train and mountains are appealing,
Andorra: When I was a little kid, I was obsessed with that tiny country on the globe. Now that I am an adult, not so much, but adds a country and ticks off a childhood bucket list item.
Tarragona: Roman ruins, nice views.
Girona: Medieval town, old sites, good food.

A couple of constraints.
Public transportation. So many of the smaller medieval towns are out. I prefer train, but will do bus. I could also be persuaded to do a tour, but am more of an on your own person so I can do mostly my own timeline.
True day trip. I don't want to do an overnight trip where I have to schlep luggage. Less travel time, the better, but willing to make it a long day.

Any suggestions? A preference on the ones mentioned? One I missed?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:02 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

I will be in Madrid Spain on company dime in January. Since it is likely the last European trip on company dime (being bought by a US company ), I am extending the trip on both sides. One is likely a non Spain destination.
But beforehand, I think I am likely going to revisit Barcelona. I visited for a very short 48 hours previously. So, this time I will explore a bit more of Barcelona, but will likely have time for a day trip or two.

Background: I have already visited a ton of places in Spain, but none around Barcelona. Spend time in Andalusia and around Madrid. I do like seeing historical sites, especially really old stuff, but mostly enjoy embracing the culture. Would rather sit in a outdoor cafe watching the world go by than a museum. Ideal day would be walking through Roman ruins to a park where I can grab a drink and listen to music. Less touristy is ideal too.
Since it is January, I am guessing most of the beach towns like Stiges and Calella de Palafrugell are out, but I could be wrong.

On the radar:
Andorra: When I was a little kid, I was obsessed with that tiny country on the globe. Now that I am an adult, not so much, but adds a country and ticks off a childhood bucket list item.

A couple of constraints.
Public transportation. So many of the smaller medieval towns are out. I prefer train, but will do bus. I could also be persuaded to do a tour, but am more of an on your own person so I can do mostly my own timeline.
True day trip. I don't want to do an overnight trip where I have to schlep luggage. Less travel time, the better, but willing to make it a long day.

Look up Cadeques..... it's a wonderful town.... maybe not great in January... but for future reference in that area....
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+

On the radar:

A couple of constraints.

I would suggest either Tarragona or Girona given what you said. Easy to get to, lots of culture. Specifically Roman ruins in Tarragona in particular.
pbiflyer and beckoa like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 8:49 pm

Skip Andorra. It's simply not worth the time needed to get there. (As for the childhood bucket list aspect: get over it! )
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by spainlover
I would suggest either Tarragona or Girona given what you said. Easy to get to, lots of culture. Specifically Roman ruins in Tarragona in particular.
In Tarragona for a few days. Lots of cool stuff to see. Have run into a couple specialty events too. And much quieter than BCN. Took renfe here; €7 for the regional train. Might do the bus back
spainlover and pbiflyer like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS

On the radar:

A couple of constraints.

Calçotada
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valls#Culture

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.