Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

48 hours in Barcelona or day trips from Madrid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

I will be in Madrid for work. Before that I am spending a couple days in Toledo.
I am done with work late Thursday and do not fly out of Madrid until the following Monday morning.
So I can either stay at the same hotel in Madrid and do day trips to Salamanca, Segovia, etc. or Friday morning train to Barcelona. I would have to come back Sunday evening to get to the Madrid airport for my Monday AM flight.
I have never been to Barcelona or the cities surrounding Madrid. While I really want to see Barcelona, not thrilled with the idea of 3 different hotels in 4 nights or the 5+ hours of train rides.
Any thoughts?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Go to Barcelona. You can be there by noon Friday without a super early wake up (or by lunch ~2pm if you want to sleep in) and stay until ~6 pm Sunday. Barcelona is a can’t miss if you haven’t been. And the train stations in both cities are very centric. If you do 2 day trips from Madrid, you will spend as much time in transit. You wouldn’t have to change hotels, true, but I would do Barcelona. Food, design, atmosphere, architecture, the sea ...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Just stay at a hotel near Atocha on Sunday night and get the late AVE back to Madrid and then take the cercanías directly to the airport the next morning. You really don't lose much time that way.
spainlover likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Just stay at a hotel near Atocha on Sunday night and get the late AVE back to Madrid and then take the cercanías directly to the airport the next morning. You really don't lose much time that way.
Since it is a weekend the AVE trains are pretty pricey for the good times. Since I am staying near the airport Thursday night anyway, I am thinking about taking an Iberia flight. Cheaper and less distance to travel on Friday morning. Yeah, I know I need to get to/from BCN, but it looks like I can just take the rail from BCN to very close to my would be hotel in Barcelona.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
You can take the train or also Aerobus direct to Placa Catalunya and a couple other places in central Barcelona.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I adore BCN but I think several of the areas around MAD are great. Segovia, Avila, El Escorial, etc. But you really need a car if you are going to do that or transit will take you too long. So are you OK with driving? If not, go to BCN
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An update. Booked Vueling air from MAD to BCN Get in Friday around 11am and depart Sunday around 9pm. Bad thing is I am taking the last flight out on Sunday with a fairly early Monday morning MAD-ATL flight. Hopefully, Vueling is reliable.
I will see the highlights, but also like to see the non touristy areas. I like wandering around neighborhoods, finding hole in the wall restaurants etc. Any suggestions on areas, food, places to drink?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spainlover
Go to Barcelona. You can be there by noon Friday without a super early wake up (or by lunch ~2pm if you want to sleep in) and stay until ~6 pm Sunday. Barcelona is a can’t miss if you haven’t been. And the train stations in both cities are very centric. If you do 2 day trips from Madrid, you will spend as much time in transit. You wouldn’t have to change hotels, true, but I would do Barcelona. Food, design, atmosphere, architecture, the sea ...
I am on my way back from Spain. Spent the weekend in Barcelona. This advice was probably among the best I have ever received here.
Flew in Friday noon. Even if I would have had to have flown out Saturday morning it would have been worth it. Barcelona is an amazing place. And I did very little of the touristy stuff. I spent maybe 30 minutes on Las Ramblas, saw the Sangrada Familia from the outside, same with the Gaudi places.
I did however, wander the streets, sit in random cafes, talked to locals, watched salsa dancing in a park, sat on the beach with a beer in hand. Best 48 hours, well 54 really, that I have spent in a place.
I am happy that I went when I did as I could see the season crush of tourists making it a different experience. It was crowded even in this low time.
But thanks for the encouragement to make the trip. Even the flight was easy. Although Vueling gives Spirit a run for their money on leg room!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer

I am on my way back from Spain. Spent the weekend in Barcelona. This advice was probably among the best I have ever received here.
Flew in Friday noon. Even if I would have had to have flown out Saturday morning it would have been worth it. Barcelona is an amazing place. And I did very little of the touristy stuff. I spent maybe 30 minutes on Las Ramblas, saw the Sangrada Familia from the outside, same with the Gaudi places.
I did however, wander the streets, sit in random cafes, talked to locals, watched salsa dancing in a park, sat on the beach with a beer in hand. Best 48 hours, well 54 really, that I have spent in a place.
I am happy that I went when I did as I could see the season crush of tourists making it a different experience. It was crowded even in this low time.
But thanks for the encouragement to make the trip. Even the flight was easy. Although Vueling gives Spirit a run for their money on leg room!
Hurray! Glad you had a great time. Barcelona is such a wonderful city - I'm glad you enjoyed it. And luckily it wasn't a long flight to deal with minimal leg room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.