Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

7days in Portugal, which cities shouldn't I miss?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7days in Portugal, which cities shouldn't I miss?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
OP, I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, but it seems similar to the information I am looking for.

I have around a week in Portugal close to Christmas time. So far I plan to spend a few days in Lisbon, but wasn't sure where else was worth visiting this time of year. From the information in this thread, it sounds like Porto isn't worth it. Should I consider heading down the coast to Algarve area? I'm interested in seeing some castles, and possibly some hiking if good parks exist.

I will probably head to Morocco either at the end of the trip, or a for a few days in the middle, if that impacts what you recommend. I will still have a total of 6-7 days in Portugal though, as the full trip will be 2 weeks.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by doctor15
I have around a week in Portugal close to Christmas time. So far I plan to spend a few days in Lisbon, but wasn't sure where else was worth visiting this time of year. From the information in this thread, it sounds like Porto isn't worth it. Should I consider heading down the coast to Algarve area? I'm interested in seeing some castles, and possibly some hiking if good parks exist.
Porto is worth it for a day or two, and you can do nice day trips from it to Viana do Castelo or Guimares. There's a nice national park in Gers, but expect there to be snow around Christmas time. It will definitely be colder in the north.

As far as Castles, there are some around Lisbon, and it's easier to get to them by car... vora, Estremoz and the Setbal peninsula come to mind.

I will probably head to Morocco either at the end of the trip, or a for a few days in the middle, if that impacts what you recommend. I will still have a total of 6-7 days in Portugal though, as the full trip will be 2 weeks.
How are you planning on getting there?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Palal
How are you planning on getting there?
Still figuring that out.. I'll probably fly from Lisbon but might take the ferry if it makes geographical sense.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:36 pm

You'd need to get to Algeciras to take the Ferry. That either involves an overnight bus ride to Seville (or a split-up ride to Faro and from Faro to Seville) and a 2-hr bus ride to Algeciras.

Time-wise you'd probably be better off to just use miles to fly LIS-RAK/CMN, but you can also find many Spain-Morocco deals (on Ryanair and other carriers) and LIS-MAD is also quite cheap.

Back in May, I ended up doing LIS-SVQ (Beech 1900), bus to ferry, ferry to Tangier, night train to RAK, day train RAK-CMN and CMN-LIS on TP. Price-wise, flights through Spain are cheaper.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Time to finalize...

Hi, guys, I have been collecting information and advice from different sources. So, please help me to have a look whether my itenary is ok or not...

10 Feb, : Arrive in Porto at 1345, sightseeing in Porto
11 Feb : 1/2 Day trip to Guimaraes, sightseeing in Porto
12 Feb : Sightseeing in Porto. Take bus from Porto to Lisbon, departing at
1800 and reaching at 2130
13 Feb : Sightseeing in Lisbon
14 Feb : Day trip to Sintra & Coba de Roca (will it be too rush?)
15 Feb : 1/2 Day trip to Cascais (+ Coba de Raca to make it one day?)
16 Feb : Sightseeing in Lisbon, fly out from Lisbon at 1950

Notes : If we follow this itenary, we are staying in Porto for the 1st 2nights and in Lisbon for another 4nights.

Doubt/questions :

1. Guimaraes is better or Braga? Any other nicer city? Or I should just spend
more time in Porto
2. Should I take the bus from Porto to Lisbon on 13 Feb morning instead of
taking it on 12 Feb night?
3. Should I make a day trip of Sintra + Coba de Roca or Cascais + Coba de
Raca? Or I should just spend more time in Lisbon?
4. Any interesting city should replace any of these in my itenary?
5. Anything I can do to make it better?

Thanks a lot, guys...=)

Last edited by Dolphinyong; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Doubt/questions :

1. Guimaraes is better or Braga? Any other nicer city? Or I should just spend
more time in Porto
Guimares is more historical than Braga. Braga's best sites are actually outside the city. How are you planning on getting to Guimares or Braga? If you are relying on public transportation definitely do Guimares, as the tourist site are concentrate downtown. If self-driven car, then it depends on your interests and the weather.

2. Should I take the bus from Porto to Lisbon on 13 Feb morning instead of taking it on 12 Feb night?
Why take the bus? I find the train more comfortable. Have you considered train? If you want to see the countryside, travel in the morning. If not, take the night. Keep in mind that at that time of year sunset will be about 18:00 and sunrise about 7:30.

3. Should I make a day trip of Sintra + Coba de Roca or Cascais + Coba de Raca? Or I should just spend more time in Lisbon?
That day trip is certainly interesting. Two things: 1. It's spelled Cabo da Roca. 2. Get some flexibility into your schedule and be flexible because of weather. Instead of being tied to Cabo da Roca and Sintra specifically on February 14, you may want to pick a nice sunny day for that and leave a rainy day for museums in Lisbon. You can do Sintra + Cabo da Roca + Cascais all in one day. Dinner in Cascais will be nice, but be mindful that on Valentine's Day the better restaurants may be fully booked.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Guimares is more historical than Braga. Braga's best sites are actually outside the city. How are you planning on getting to Guimares or Braga? If you are relying on public transportation definitely do Guimares, as the tourist site are concentrate downtown. If self-driven car, then it depends on your interests and the weather.

Why take the bus? I find the train more comfortable. Have you considered train? If you want to see the countryside, travel in the morning. If not, take the night. Keep in mind that at that time of year sunset will be about 18:00 and sunrise about 7:30.

That day trip is certainly interesting. Two things: 1. It's spelled Cabo da Roca. 2. Get some flexibility into your schedule and be flexible because of weather. Instead of being tied to Cabo da Roca and Sintra specifically on February 14, you may want to pick a nice sunny day for that and leave a rainy day for museums in Lisbon. You can do Sintra + Cabo da Roca + Cascais all in one day. Dinner in Cascais will be nice, but be mindful that on Valentine's Day the better restaurants may be fully booked.
Thanks a lot for your information. Sorry for the spelling, haha...=)

Is it really fine to do a day visit for Sintra + Cabo da Roca + Cascais? I saw somebody posted similar question on another forum and got really discouraged about it.

We have to rely on public transport, don't feel like driving when we are on vacation...So, are those interesting places at those cities accessible with public transport?

Thanks a lot.

Regards.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong

Take bus from Porto to Lisbon, departing at
1800 and reaching at 2130

No no no no no! Catch the train - much more comfortable. Trust me on that!

One-way is around EUR30, EUR40 in first (very comfortable).

You could even break your journey in Coimbra.

Lisbon Sintra is train, Lisbon Cascais also - but completely different lines, different stations. Both lines (and stations) very very crowded in the morning rush hours into Lisbon, the evening ones out of the city - so you should be OK

Between Sintra and Cascais there are direct buses, and others which call at Cabo da Roca on the way:
http://www.transporlis.sapo.pt/Defau...012&j=0&mobR=0

I'd suggest Sintra first, then Cascais/Estoril so you can enjoy the end of the day by the sea. I love the paved walkway above the beach between Cascais and Estoril (take the train or taxi back to Cascais, or take the train onwards to Lisbon from Estoril). If it's not raining, it's not too late and if you're not worn out from Sintra.....

It will be a long day! You might decide to do Sintra and the Cape one day, Estoril/Cascais another.

You should save time to take the ferry over to Almada (on the other side of the river from Lisbon): it's a short but interesting trip, the view from Almada over to Lisbon makes a terrific backdrop for lunch or coffee. You can go from the ferry dock next to Cais do Sodre rail station (for the Cascais trains).

Lots to do - have fun!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Oct 24, 2012 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Hi, IAN-UK,

Thanks a lot for your information. By just looking at some pictures of Estoril, I'm so going to visit it, would have miss it if you didn't mention.

Would consider about the train=) But maybe we should take it on the next morning (13 Feb) rather than on 12 Feb night? Will that makes any huge difference? I mean to stay at Porto for 3nights then the next 3nights at Lisbon (or 2nights Porto + 4nights Lisbon is better?)

Thanks a lot, IAN-UK=)

Regards.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
No no no no no! Catch the train - much more comfortable. Trust me on that!

One-way is around EUR30, EUR40 in first (very comfortable).

You could even break your journey in Coimbra.

Lisbon Sintra is train, Lisbon Cascais also - but completely different lines, different stations. Both lines (and stations) very very crowded in the morning rush hours into Lisbon, the evening ones out of the city - so you should be OK

Between Sintra and Cascais there are direct buses, and others which call at Cabo da Roca on the way:
http://www.transporlis.sapo.pt/Defau...012&j=0&mobR=0

I'd suggest Sintra first, then Cascais/Estoril so you can enjoy the end of the day by the sea. I love the paved walkway above the beach between Cascais and Estoril (take the train or taxi back to Cascais, or take the train onwards to Lisbon from Estoril). If it's not raining, it's not too late and if you're not worn out from Sintra.....

It will be a long day! You might decide to do Sintra and the Cape one day, Estoril/Cascais another.

You should save time to take the ferry over to Almada (on the other side of the river from Lisbon): it's a short but interesting trip, the view from Almada over to Lisbon makes a terrific backdrop for lunch or coffee. You can go from the ferry dock next to Cais do Sodre rail station (for the Cascais trains).

Lots to do - have fun!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm now in Lisbon. Just checked into the Marriott Lisbon. The concierge is promoting the day tour to Sintra, Cascais and Cabo de Roca. He told me that it will be more expensive if we travel on our own. How true is it? The day tour for all the 3cities costs 44euro/person

Thanks a lot.

Regards.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:18 am

What are they including in the Sintra trip? Here are the options:
http://www.parquesdesintra.pt/

The train ride is <4€ each way. The bus from Sintra to Cabo da Roca and Cabo da Roca and Cascais is also similarly priced (it runs only 1/hr). The tour will probably be 1.5x more as expensive as if you travel on your own. The question here is how much time you have to explore. The three can easily be done in a day without a guided tour for ~ <30€/person (rounding up everything, not including meals).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:52 am

The train to Sintra is only 2euros each way, but the costs add up, so it is definitely possible the tour is cheaper than doing each site it take you to on your own. The bus which drives around Sintra is 5 euros and each site charges admission ranging from 7 to 12 euros.

On the other hand, I found so much to do in Sintra that we went back a second day, and really enjoyed wondering around the sites and the surrounding forest at our own pace. If you take the tour, you won't have that flexibility.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:27 pm

Unless you like guided tours (and being herded in and out the bus like cattle ), just do it yourself - and enjoy the freedom. It's easy enough (using the information provided by others above).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Sintra!!!

You must, must, must go to Sintra. It is breathtaking. Beautiful castles and just flat out lovely. It's an easy day trip from Lisbon.

We also thought that Obidos was neat, but it's not a "must".
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:56 pm

bidos is a nice stop if you're driving north, or if you're doing a car day trip from Lisbon. You can then hit (in no particular order): Peniche, Nazar, bidos, Alcobaa, Ftima, Tomar and a bunch of other cute small towns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.