Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How dangerous is it if some stranger got ahold of your Rapid Rewards # and...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum

I was looking at an previous travel made at the beginning of this year, and realized I never got an email confirmation for this flight in my email account.

I take screenshots during the booking process, so I went back to the screen shots and realized that I had sent the purchase confirmation to a wrong email. I had wanted to send the flight purchase confirmation to (eg) "myswaemail.com" and instead sent it to "myemail.com".

So now a stranger has my name, RR#, and the last 4 digits of my credit card.

I'm just wondering if this poses any danger to that person trying to access my RR account, and if I should take other steps to protect my RR account, like maybe asking for a new RR# or additional passwords / protections?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Have you sent email to that other email address? It might not even exist. Send an email and see if it bounces or not. I think the odds of someone having the exact same email name on a different domain are pretty slim.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skylane
Have you sent email to that other email address? It might not even exist. Send an email and see if it bounces or not. I think the odds of someone having the exact same email name on a different domain are pretty slim.
I did send an email and got no reply. That email does exist, it's a free email address, and I tried to register for it and was told that it was not available for registration, meaning someone else has it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
So now a stranger has my name, RR#, and the last 4 digits of my credit card.
What's your RR password? I'll log in and check your RR account for any suspicious activity.

Seriously, if that were to happen to me, I would not worry much about but do these things just out of general principle:

1. Change my RR password to something really long and complex.
2. Ask Chase (or whoever) to issue me a new card number.

If it were an e-mail for a future itinerary, then I'd be concerned. Very easy for someone to cancel my trip and use the TTF for a weekend in LAS.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
What's your RR password? I'll log in and check your RR account for any suspicious activity.

Seriously, if that were to happen to me, I would not worry much about but do these things just out of general principle:

1. Change my RR password to something really long and complex.
2. Ask Chase (or whoever) to issue me a new card number.

If it were an e-mail for a future itinerary, then I'd be concerned. Very easy for someone to cancel my trip and use the TTF for a weekend in LAS.
Well, my future itineraries have been strangely disappearing and reappearing in the last day or so, so maybe...

You do address the possibility of someone with a lot of power once they get ahold of your name and itinerary #. That person could cancel your flight and use the flight funds for him/herself.

Perhaps in the future this could be improved, such as asking for a pre-established pin # when cancelling a flight, and requiring the pin # when trying to use the funds from the cancelled flight.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
You do address the possibility of someone with a lot of power once they get ahold of your name and itinerary #. That person could cancel your flight and use the flight funds for him/herself.
I've been tempted to use my phone and cancel someone's reservation in the boarding queue when that person annoys me for whatever reason, i.e., hey, look at me, I'm such a stud with my A1 (or A16) BP.

Perhaps in the future this could be improved, such as asking for a pre-established pin # when cancelling a flight, and requiring the pin # when trying to use the funds from the cancelled flight.
Agreed. If not a pin, then something simple like asking my pet's name.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:20 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
While all of these are interesting ideas . . .

We don't currently have a huge problem with this.
It would take significant programming to make these changes.

Customers (including some of you) already don't like going through the captcha to check fund balances, so you can imagine how well-received this type of extra step would be

Not saying it won't ever happen - just that it isn't a problem right now.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
I've posted this before, but if you have the same name as someone else on the same or another WN flight at your airport, you can access that person's boarding pass and address on their receipt since the kiosks seem to only check the name on the CC you use to checkin. sure, there are easier ways for a dishonest person to get TTF or physically steal from you, but this was a bit shocking when I got someone elses flight ticket at OAK a few months ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.