Wiki Posts
Search

Quick WN note of thanks..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Quick WN note of thanks..

I know I haven't posted much on the WN forum since I've been chasing shiny-metal with CO. However, when it came down to it WN came through for me.

I needed to book some one-way tickets for my family for the end of the month and as cheaply/easily as possible. All the shiny metal status wasn't helping the situation. A bit disappointed in my options, I recalled I had earned a reward ticket on WN last year. In 10 minutes I had spent $10 to cover the fees and now my folks will be able to fly back from California to Florida.

I'm still going to try for CO Gold before the end of the year (I'm already silver with a decent upgrade ratio) but I wont forget about WN and the service I've received in the past. I really wish the industry was more like WN with the easy rewards and redemption's.

I suspect I'll be using WN a good bit next year for short hops SNA-LAS - keep up the good work and WN will stay in the back of my mind anytime I need to travel regardless of my status with other airlines.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Just curious why it is 'in the back of your mind' and that you are mainly chasing the 'shiny metal'
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I can't blame anyone who sticks with somebody like CO, gets the silver or the gold, and enjoys the FREE first class upgrades. They are pretty sweet. It also depends on who is paying for your CO flights, how often you change your tickets and who pays for the changes. Also, you have to look at the number of BIS miles you need for a free flight on CO vs. a free flight on WN. On short hops, WN is going to be the winner. On longer flights, and especially with free first class upgrades, CO has a better chance of being the winner.

But, just because you enjoy the first class upgrades of CO doesn't mean you have to fly CO on every flight. When you hit GOLD, it will be interesting to see if your upgrade % is increased enough. If so, I'd continue with them. If not, drop back to SILVER and use WN when they make more sense.

Loyalty to either airline does not have to be absolute. Use the best one for each circumstance, keeping in mind the benefits of 30 or 60 segments at CO vs. 32 segments at WN.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by lougord99
Just curious why it is 'in the back of your mind' and that you are mainly chasing the 'shiny metal'
I had to fly international and it ended up being during CO's double elite promotion - if I stick to CO for the few other flights I definitely have to make this year I can make Gold and thus enjoy the perks thereof all through 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.