Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enroute Issue to ISP on TH 6/18 just not right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LTP, PP

Big WN fan, flying them exclusively since they came to ISP in '99, about 2 RT per month. I am also a private pilot.

Left TPA at 7:30 PM Thursday night 6/18 full fare $289 one way for ISP arriving 10:10, 98 PAX, many small families including a group of 12 I checked in with, some minors flying for the first time (as overheard). Left TPA after a full day of work hoping to get in a day's work Friday instead of wasting it traveling as I usually do.

Abeam NYC 15 minutes from landing, plane takes a hard right over the Atlantic ocean. I know some-thing's just not right. A few minutes later, pilot says the runways lights are out at ISP so we are landing BWI to meet gate agents to see what can be done. Sophisticated WN / FT flyer me knows its light out for the night but this is not the impression given nor of my peers on board.

So we land, gate agents make an announcement to get off the plane (amongst screams from the PAX) to rebook for the morning. Its about 10 pm. I'm in row 4 so off quickly and there are 2 agents re-booking against a huge and building line.

Some PA announcements:

Pillows and blankets will be provided in the terminal.

3 flights at 5:30 am, 6am and 6:30am will be available (presumable 3 planes diverted in the same situation).

Bags will be held. I asked if I could get mine but told they were not be available for use since no staff was available to unload.

If anyone decides to drive or find alternative means home, no credit on the ticket will be given since the full fare "was lifted" at Tampa.

Security was closing so if you left the secured area there was no getting back in until 4:30 am. (although I have no sympathy for smokers, what do they do???)

There might have been others but I, being on my employers dime and fearing a run on hotels (never materialized where I went) called an unsympathetic Marriott Platinum line to find "the cheapest" Spring Hill Suites at $159 plus tax. So much for the "distressed travel" rate I've been hearing for years. Unsympathetic at the hotel too despite being an airport hotel used to these situations. I bail out quickly (but with nothing but the clothes on my back) and re-booked a 11am flight over the phone while in the van to the hotel. I'm older and need a solid 7 so I decline the first in the morning options.

The entire thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I understand WN is not at fault but it was as if everyone just wanted to turn the lights off at BWI and go home as quickly as possible, passengers and money be damned. I was fortunate, but I wondered about the rest, especially those with small children.

Got an "proactive" email today apologizing for the situation and the "lack of hospitality" at BWI - with a promise of a travel voucher. It came later - $85!

Since this is only the 2nd stranding in 10 years, I consider my self lucky as far as the law of averages go. And again, I understand it from a pilot's perspective although I've yet to hear anything about the landing lights from the over-reactive local media.

What do the FT folks think? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I got diverted from PHL to BWI a few months ago and no proactive voucher for me...count yourself lucky. And that's a crummy place to have to spend the night because there is no route from BWI to PHL...you have to do something like connect through chicago (of course many people did what I did and spent $40 for a ticket on amtrak, not a big deal but of course that's our own dime).

Are you A-list? I wonder if they make those offers based on some type of formula based on past loyalty.

Oddly enough I got diverted from BWI to RDU a couple weeks ago and the flight attendant told me it was only his second diversion in 11 years. I don't know if that makes him really lucky or me really unlucky to have 2 in a couple months!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
I can empathize with the families, but personally if I booked that kind of schedule as I have on a number of occasions for mileage runs, I would be planning on sleeping in the terminal or just staying up all night surfing & crashing (pardon the pun) once I'm on a plane.

Strickly speaking, non-functional runway lights are not WN's responsiblity.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
IMHO, I think the major airports need to cater to irregular ops better.

MDW kicks people out of the secured terminal to baggage claim

BWI has literally no food/snack options after 10pm. Had a connection delayed till midnight and the food workers were shutting down EARLY despite large lines. they pointed to people in line and said you're the last customer we are serving. About 11pm Southwest provisioning brought snacks and soft drinks to the gate area. From the sound of your email they had no ground crew/baggage staff either. I can see Southwest not being legally allowed to bring any PAX belongings/checked bags up to the secure area of the gate though.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by expert7700
IMHO, I think the major airports need to cater to irregular ops better.

MDW kicks people out of the secured terminal to baggage claim

BWI has literally no food/snack options after 10pm. Had a connection delayed till midnight and the food workers were shutting down EARLY despite large lines. they pointed to people in line and said you're the last customer we are serving. About 11pm Southwest provisioning brought snacks and soft drinks to the gate area. From the sound of your email they had no ground crew/baggage staff either. I can see Southwest not being legally allowed to bring any PAX belongings/checked bags up to the secure area of the gate though.
That was exactly the situation. Like a ghost town at 10 pm. And they weren't going to give bags to anyone trying to leave the airport too (like me). I certainly don't blame WN for the runaway lights being IN-OP but they had to have some advance notice that at least 3 planes were being diverted to BWI from dusk on. We even have had to wait for a tug into the gate. Again, consider myself lucky one time stranded in 10+ years...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:10 pm

If LGA service had started (this Sunday!), could these flights have been diverted there even though it's outside their slots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.