Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Reward College Program Discontinuing on Oct 15, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN | UA

Received this e-mail this afternoon:

As an active participant in the College Rapid Rewards program, we wanted to make you aware of some changes effective July 15, 2009.

The College Rapid Rewards program will be discontinued, and new enrollments will not be processed. However, as a current Member, you will continue to earn bonus credit through October 15, 2009.

Beginning October 16, 2009, all former College Rapid Rewards Members will earn Rapid Rewards credit at a standard rate, consistent with the general program.

Despite this change, there are still lots of ways to earn credit as a Rapid Rewards Member, both in the air and on the ground! Just visit RapidRewards101.com for information about Rapid Rewards Preferred Partners and ways to get to an Award faster than ever.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to seeing you onboard soon!

Your Friends at Rapid Rewards
If you don't already know, the College program allows double credit on all flights. So 1 round-trip typically earns 4 credits. This is definitely having me rethink my allegiance to Southwest when flying from college & home.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:42 pm

Rethink your allegiance? Because you get treated like the rest of us? Just think, when you turn 21, they'll start sending you drink coupons!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN | UA
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Rethink your allegiance? Because you get treated like the rest of us? Just think, when you turn 21, they'll start sending you drink coupons!
I've been 21 for quite some time - and I have been collecting drink coupons since my enrollment.

Also, college folks don't have nearly as large of a budget as most everyone else, and that's what made this program unique.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I loved this program when I was in college. I would fly home from PVD to BWI multiple times a year and would rack up a lot of free tickets. I also loved the $29 and $39 tickets too....

Memories.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I also got this email today. I turned 24 earlier this year, so I was expecting to be knocked down to 1 credit per one-way trip soon anyway, but this is a change about which a lot of people will not be happy.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by joechickens
I've been 21 for quite some time - and I have been collecting drink coupons since my enrollment.

Also, college folks don't have nearly as large of a budget as most everyone else, and that's what made this program unique.
So, if you've been 21 for "quite some time" - wouldn't you have been bumped down automatically soon anyway?

Last edited by dwebb; Jun 11, 2009 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ktremor
I loved this program when I was in college. I would fly home from PVD to BWI multiple times a year and would rack up a lot of free tickets. I also loved the $29 and $39 tickets too....

Memories.
Where'd you go to school near PVD? I'm at Bryant myself.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dwebb
Where'd you go to school near PVD? I'm at Bryant myself.
PC '05
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I'm so disappointed! I was another connoisseur of the $39 double credit PVD-BWI flights.

I can't say I exactly blame themthe program was super generous.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:44 pm

so will there be any benefits for college students? i still got a year left
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
i hope they make it up with a very good RR 2.0 program.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is a harbinger of a RR 2.0 announcement within a few months after October 15.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by odom4president
so will there be any benefits for college students? i still got a year left
a no cost lesson in real world economics...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
This is a harbinger of a RR 2.0 announcement within a few months after October 15.
I agree that WN appears to be bringing things into alignment for RR 2.0. We also got this email,but my opinion is that they should have left the college program alone.

I know my family chose WN over other carriers many times because of the college program. I see it as a loyalty building program and now they have lost that edge.

WN has recently made some changes that are taking away it's advantage to my family over the legacies- the pet policy and now the college program.Obviously they feel they need to do these to be profitable,but for us ,it will cause us to book primarily on price more often,which many times leaves WN out of the picture.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
I know my family chose WN over other carriers many times because of the college program. I see it as a loyalty building program and now they have lost that edge.
Agreed. I feel that the program helps build up loyalty for when hypothetical college student starts business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.