Wiki Posts
Search

What Should I Ask Gary?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by lougord99
Sorry, but I don't regularly read your writing.
Ouch.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by dwebb
Well, what are you suggesting?
Maybe that without at least some guidance, say a number on a scale of 1 to 10, I'll still be typing, previewing, and editing by the time the interview is over on Monday?

BTW, will this be your first time? (I seem to recall you mentioned getting to ask something via phone before.) If you plan to address him as you did in the thread title, question #1 should be "May I call you Gary?" Better yet, stick with "Mr. Kelly" unless/until he insists otherwise. Apologies if that was already obvious; too often it isn't.

As noted already the hard part is going to be that a lot of questions can't be answered. If you don't prune enough of those from your list your time will be used up before you hit on a few. Anything future financial related is especially tough, if I understand correctly, due to SEC regulations.

I don't know what your interview experience level is, but I think the key to really getting good information is going to be your followup questions. You'll need to instantly recognize when you are being fed broad/canned answers and think well enough on your feet to come right back with something that can extract a real answer. I'm thinking you won't be able to call in the FT troops for help on that.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
xxxxxs
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Kind of an open-ended softball question but I would ask him what about the company keeps him up at night. Outside of the interview, I would also put in a good word for SWABrain and SWAVictor for their outstanding help and insight on this board.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Throw him a curve ball and ask why the most efficiently run airline in the air and can't make the check-in process better on the ground given the investment already spent for kiosks.

Case in point, I'm in a long bag check line at TPA Friday afternoon. At least 1/2 of the estimated 16 stations are out of order, either via the on screen message or placards taped on the screen.

Problem is that the "out of order" machines are interspersed randomly throughout and now its impossible from the head of the line to tell if an "open" spot is in front of a "dead" or "live" machine. So no one moves up on their own and occasionally an agent has to yell from the very end, from behind the counter, for people to step up. But this isn't done continuously and the line stalls time and time again despite open, working machines being available from my vantage point in line (but not easily visible to the head of the line).

Finally after 20 minutes, I'm in the #2 for takeoff position and a working terminal opens up in front of the head of the line. #1 isn't moving and I ask her to go ahead. Now she's arguing with me that she wasn't called up to use it, presumably after being "trained" to listen for a long while. I counter with that its a self-service machine and waiting for help kind of defeats the purpose. With a glare, she finally goes ahead and uses the machine.

I see this all the time at larger volume airports over and over. I love everything else on WN. Why can't they get this right without excuses of staffing levels, being out of paper, broken machines, etc. If the kiosks are really "out of service" this much, there is a much bigger problem - either mechanically or labor.

Certainly a CEO shouldn't have to deal with this type of minutia but this being WN, he just might appreciate it being brought to his attention!

Last edited by joshua362; Jun 11, 2009 at 9:41 pm
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q. Previously, Southwest expanded during downturns, using periods of weakness to attack weaker competitors, emerging larger and stronger when the recovery inevitably happens. What prompted you to break with that tradition by sticking with stagnation instead of aggressively attacking the weak carriers during this downturn? Why not dance with the one that brung ya?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:22 am

Q. At what point will Southwest break even on the collection of UM and pet fees vs. modifying or removing the fee free zone materials from airports?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:06 am

GSP Service

Ask him when service to GSP starts...

Top Airline Looks at Market Here

Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: SWA
Status of Wi-fi rollout
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
* Has WN considered becoming more family friendly, i.e. by adding changing tables in lavs and milk to the drink list?
The former is already done.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/video/baby-board
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Ask him when service to GSP starts...

Top Airline Looks at Market Here
I think these types of meetings happen at unserved airports with some regularity, but what surprised me was this one section of the article:

Southwest also could help boost Greenville's budding tourism industry because the airline is a favorite among leisure travelers who enjoy its low fares and flexibility in changing travel schedules, Kirven said.
I don't recall any traditional media outlet ever highlighting the flexibility of WN's tickets in "changing travel schedules".
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by curbcrusher

Thanks - did not know that. We should add the info to the wiki.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm really looking forward to the article. Throw the link up when its done.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
i hope that you ask him if he has any idea what the word "profit" means. with british airways asking people to work for free, gary has been doling out pay raises. the pilots even rejected their enhanced contract, they want even more. the arrogance. and no layoffs even with flight reductions. gary is praying enough will take a buyout. gary knows those last minute high dollar business tickets just aren't there hence lower revenue. but he has a "culture" to maintain.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Hi All - interview went very well last week.

Here it is! http://boardingarea.com/blogs/things...eo-gary-kelly/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.