Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Announces first LGA routes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:51 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kalun47
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but Orange County is the only airport WN currently serves that is slot controlled, thus the supply is tightly controlled (reason why we hardly see any Ding! fares coming out of SNA). I certainly hope that isn't the case with LGA.
As far as I can tell the claim that SNA is slot controlled is a myth, as discussed in this thread.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:02 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Beckles,
you are right in that SNA is not slot-controlled. However, it is capacity controlled. Airlines aren't specific given landing/takeoff times, they are given a total number of daily seats that they can operate from the facility. From what I understand, the quieter the aircraft you operate, the more daily seats you are alloted.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RiverVisual19
I understand that BWI-LGA, in theory, competes with the LGA-DCA Shuttle routes, but I would never drive the hour to BWI to hop on a flight to LGA. At that point, I might as well keep driving. I have a feeling a lot of inside DC and Northern Virginia folks feel the same way
Totally agree. I think BWI-LGA is an odd choice, especially with only 3 flights and wouldn't be surprised to see those flights moved elsewhere eventually. There are already so many choices between the WAS and NYC markets (all of the airlines plus the buses, many of which now have free wifi, and of course Amtrak).
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
This morning's blog post says the eighth flight is the result of scheduling a departure and arrival outside of when slot controls are in effect
Looking at the flight times for the eighth flight, I would think that WN might be able to add one or two additional once-daily scheduled flights outside the slot times to the central time zone - to places like STL, BNA, HOU. Flights would leave the midwest between 7-8pm and arrive in NY 10-11pm. Return flights would leave NY between 6:00-7:00am and arrive in the midwest at about 7:00-8:00am. Gate scheduling might be an issue though.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Totally agree. I think BWI-LGA is an odd choice, especially with only 3 flights and wouldn't be surprised to see those flights moved elsewhere eventually. There are already so many choices between the WAS and NYC markets (all of the airlines plus the buses, many of which now have free wifi, and of course Amtrak).
I understand the fixation on O&D but seriously why would WN cutoff 10 of its markets from NYC? That's what removing the BWI-LGA flights would do. That means that BUF, PIT, CLE, CMH, DTW, ORF, RDU, MCO, TPA and probably a few other markets would be cut out of NYC. BWI-LGA is there for the NETWORK - particularly those travelers who are willing to cough up the extra cash for WN's business select. The more complete WN's network is on the east coast the more attractive WN becomes for people living in the east - and the more likely that WN will sell out all 15 of its business select seats on its east coast planes. BOS & LGA really fill two huge gaps in the east coast network and both are destinations that attract business travelers willing to pay for business select.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:35 am

SW has a limited number of flights they can schedule out of LGA. Flights to BWI connect to multiple SE locations, including Florida. 3 flights to BWI makes more sense then one flight each to FLL, MCO and TPA.

Likewise flights to MDW connect to multiple western destinations.

I'd be surprised if many passengers have BWI as their final destination.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myadvice
I understand the fixation on O&D but seriously why would WN cutoff 10 of its markets from NYC? That's what removing the BWI-LGA flights would do. That means that BUF, PIT, CLE, CMH, DTW, ORF, RDU, MCO, TPA and probably a few other markets would be cut out of NYC. BWI-LGA is there for the NETWORK - particularly those travelers who are willing to cough up the extra cash for WN's business select. The more complete WN's network is on the east coast the more attractive WN becomes for people living in the east - and the more likely that WN will sell out all 15 of its business select seats on its east coast planes. BOS & LGA really fill two huge gaps in the east coast network and both are destinations that attract business travelers willing to pay for business select.
Yes, I understand the network effect. The problem, however, is that many of those cities you mentioned already have non-stop service to NYC. While I'm sure WN will come out with lower fares, the business traveler that WN seems to be trying to attract with flights into LGA will probably opt for the non-stop flights.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:10 am

Yes, I understand the network effect. The problem, however, is that many of those cities you mentioned already have non-stop service to NYC. While I'm sure WN will come out with lower fares, the business traveler that WN seems to be trying to attract with flights into LGA will probably opt for the non-stop flights.
I don't think the runways at LGA are long enough for N/S flights to LA. Connecting through MDW makes sense. It's a business destination and connects to west coast cities. I'm not sure which other city would be an attractive business destination and connect to other cities. Would Nashville be better then BWI?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:29 am

I'm glad to see the new service, but the fares look to be pretty high.

I used July 10-12 as a test weekend (Fri night-Sun night), and came up with:

WN: $417 roundtrip, connecting at MDW out and BWI on the way back.

AA: $219 roundtrip, direct nonstop.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:30 am

The problem, however, is that many of those cities you mentioned already have non-stop service to NYC.
Valid point, but nonstops aren't a panacea either and many airlines serve those destinations on small RJ's or turboprops. Plus ticket change policies on WN are also a consideration.

Anyway, in most of those markets listed, the O&D to NYC is over 1000 pax/day. I believe that a chunk of them (enough to fill 411 seats and 45 business select slots each way) will choose to take WN rather than fly another airline, even if the other airline offers a nonstop flight.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lewisc
I don't think the runways at LGA are long enough for N/S flights to LA. Connecting through MDW makes sense.
I don't understand what the length of the LGA runway has to do with whether the plane can make it to LA vs. MDW.

The extra weight of the fuel? That's all I can think of.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by myadvice
BOS & LGA really fill two huge gaps in the east coast network
Another HUGE gap is the entire Southeast region, bounded by BHM to JAX to RDU. ATL isn't the only game in town here, and there are lots of underserved markets begging for what WN (historically anyway) brings to a market. Plus, airports like GSP can easily serve populations far beyond their immediate metro areas (ex: N. Georgia, W. North Carolina, Southern/eastern Charlotte burbs, Columbia area).
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't understand what the length of the LGA runway has to do with whether the plane can make it to LA vs. MDW.

The extra weight of the fuel? That's all I can think of.
Exactly. It's not clear if the runway's at LGA are long enough to allow the plane to take off fully loaded with passengers/luggage and enough fuel for a N/S flight to LA.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:54 am

It should be long enough

Exactly. It's not clear if the runway's at LGA are long enough to allow the plane to take off fully loaded with passengers/luggage and enough fuel for a N/S flight to LA.
It appears that the runways are definitely long enough. We already have ISP-LAS service, and the runways are ISP and LGA are both approx. 7,000 feet.

Now, granted - the distance from LGA-LAX is slighter longer then ISP-LAS, but I think it's still within the range of the -700 series.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
I don't think the runways at LGA are long enough for N/S flights to LA. Connecting through MDW makes sense.
The thing preventing transcons from LGA is the perimeter rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.