Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% off on flights to/from buffalo, ny

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:53 am
Original Poster

50% off on flights to/from buffalo, ny

It's quite rare that WN offers coupon codes in the first place, but it seem that FLYBUF gets you 50% off flight to/from Buffalo, NY.

http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/buffalo.html

BUF-MDW flights are running $30 OW. That's amazing, considering we thought $59 was the new $29. I might actually make some runs considering my CP is up for renewal
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:47 am

Wow. Great find. And since Southwest lets you do hidden city ticketing this results in some great fares from florida to BWI and I am sure many other points.

rich
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:51 am

OMG THANK YOU!!!!

I luv you!!!!!!

EDIT: I totally got an email from WN about this one and glanced right over it 100%. Oops.

Last edited by iTanNicNic; Oct 21, 2008 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichLond
Wow. Great find. And since Southwest lets you do hidden city ticketing this results in some great fares from florida to BWI and I am sure many other points.

rich
It is a fantastic deal. I wish we saw more of them.

Just some problems using it. First, BUF is a terrible airport to utilize in winter (especially early winter). You all know about "lake effect" snow, right? I've had to fly into Rochester when Buffalo is closed.

I doubt that most hidden city tickets would be worth it, given this risk. Also, how often is buying 2 WN tickets cheaper than buying 1? Even at half price, I doubt you'll find much savings.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by iahphx

Just some problems using it. First, BUF is a terrible airport to utilize in winter (especially early winter). You all know about "lake effect" snow, right? I've had to fly into Rochester when Buffalo is closed.
We only closed twice last year, and that was for a total of like maybe 7 hours.

Mainly due to electrical problems too, not so much field conditions. Our airfield people here in BUF are always ranked amongst the best in the United States, perhaps in the world I'd guess too.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:22 pm

I doubt that most hidden city tickets would be worth it, given this risk. Also, how often is buying 2 WN tickets cheaper than buying 1? Even at half price, I doubt you'll find much savings.
I guess I am confused what you mean. Right now PBI-BWI is 72 bucks. But with the 50 percent off link PBI-BWI-BUF is only 40 bucks. Just jump off at the connection in BWI and you saved 32 bucks. Unlikely that a closure at BUF will impact you especially from PBI where the only offered connection is BWI.

There is no need to actually fly to BUF and return. Of course this only works coming from PBI.

rich
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I am confused what you mean. Right now PBI-BWI is 72 bucks. But with the 50 percent off link PBI-BWI-BUF is only 40 bucks. Just jump off at the connection in BWI and you saved 32 bucks. Unlikely that a closure at BUF will impact you especially from PBI where the only offered connection is BWI.

There is no need to actually fly to BUF and return. Of course this only works coming from PBI.

rich
OK, now I see where you're coming from -- hidden city returns. I thought you were talking about buying segment to segment fares.

Yeah, without luggage, this should work. Given WN's limited BUF network, it's probably going to be hard to pull off for any cities other than Baltimore or Chicago.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:24 pm

OK, now I see where you're coming from -- hidden city returns. I thought you were talking about buying segment to segment fares.

Yeah, without luggage, this should work. Given WN's limited BUF network, it's probably going to be hard to pull off for any cities other than Baltimore or Chicago.
Well i booked it so lets just hope I am right!!! My luck BWI will close and it will do an overfly to BUF or something! LOL. Ended up all in at under 150 to PBI.

rich
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well i booked it so lets just hope I am right!!! My luck BWI will close and it will do an overfly to BUF or something! LOL. Ended up all in at under 150 to PBI.

rich
Well, I've done it a few times on other airlines and it's never failed. Yet.

I've used it when I needed a one-way fare to a fortress hub and it was MUCH cheaper (like several hundred dollars) to book a connecting flight beyond the hub and just get off after the first flight.

Here, you're probably talking about saving 20 or 30 bucks. Right? It feels good, but is it worth the (likely minimal) risk? Beats me.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Just got DAL-BUF for $156 all-in ^
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Awesome!!! We just re-booked 3 flights using the discount. I'm playing snowbird in TPA this year and himself is flying down every month. This really helped drop the cost.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
wow, BUF-SJC is only $45 ow
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:22 pm

Any FlyerTalkers who are flying into BUF, send me a PM with when you'll be here and lunch or dinner might just be on me
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
MDW-BUF is now only $30 each way. I might go just for the heck of it. With my Companion Pass renewal approcahing, I consider each WN RR credit worth $30 minimum anyway.

Any particular reason to go to BUF in the winter? I'm a book collector (as you might guess). How about good book stores or book/paper shows or antique shows?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Any particular reason to go to BUF in the winter?
Mighty Taco is a good reason to go to BUF in the winter... of course, it is also a good reason to go to BUF in the summer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.