Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Southwest win the fee vs. no fee war?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
I rarely find WN fares out of DEN that match with UA fares, to the destinations I need. Personally I find WN's advertising misleading. I have seen their ads many times, only to goto their website and find out that taxes and fees are not included, and- oops sorry- that special fare bucket got sold out. The actual fare ends up being more than UA, and usually to a less convenient airport.

At the end of the day, people are loyal to programs where they are invested. I pay no baggage fees on UA. The average person who searches expedia, picks the lowest fare/best timeframe flight, and checks one bag at the airport...doesn't care about the $25 bucks- it is most likely factored in against travel incidentals- for example needing to be on the NW side of Chicago...and having to fly in to MDW. In the larger economic travel picture, the $25 just doesn't matter compared to the cost of a taxi from an inconvenient airport. Wait! I just checked UA website...it's only $15 for the first bag! That's nothing. Here is a good article on domestic discount airlines.
http://www.independenttraveler.com/r...egory=1&page=1
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by JSlo
I rarely find WN fares out of DEN that match with UA fares, to the destinations I need. Personally I find WN's advertising misleading. I have seen their ads many times, only to goto their website and find out that taxes and fees are not included, and- oops sorry- that special fare bucket got sold out. The actual fare ends up being more than UA, and usually to a less convenient airport.

At the end of the day, people are loyal to programs where they are invested. I pay no baggage fees on UA. The average person who searches expedia, picks the lowest fare/best timeframe flight, and checks one bag at the airport...doesn't care about the $25 bucks- it is most likely factored in against travel incidentals- for example needing to be on the NW side of Chicago...and having to fly in to MDW. In the larger economic travel picture, the $25 just doesn't matter compared to the cost of a taxi from an inconvenient airport. Wait! I just checked UA website...it's only $15 for the first bag! That's nothing. Here is a good article on domestic discount airlines.
http://www.independenttraveler.com/r...egory=1&page=1

I couldn't agree more... with one sentence of the above. "At the end of the day, people are loyal to programs where they are invested."
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:53 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
So UA advertises their fares including all taxes and fees and does not have capacity controls on their cheapest fares?

What is a less convenient airport? Of course an airport is less convenient if it's not where you're going ... WN doesn't serve every city ... of course, neither does UA. Is OAK less convenient if you're traveling to Oakland? Is DAL less convenient if you're traveling to Dallas? Is FLL less convenient if you're traveling to Ft. Lauderdale? Is PBI less convenient if you're traveling to Palm Beach? On the other hand, if you're going to ATL, then certainly WN is less convenient than many other airlines since they don't fly there.

for example needing to be on the NW side of Chicago...and having to fly in to MDW.
Ahh ... Chicago ... my hometown ... I think it's inarguable MDW is more convenient for much of Chicago proper since it is somewhat in the middle of the City, unlike ORD which is the far Northwest edge of the City. Same goes for Houston, I don't know if IAH is in Houston proper or not, but certainly HOU is more conveniently located for many travelers to the City.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
In some cases, yes, people do care about the bag fees. When my family flies down to Florida this May for a cruise, we will probably have to pay an extra $200 in bag fees r/t. Not using the bag fees to compare isn't the best idea.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:30 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by SWABrian
Dan,
here they are Terry Trippler, Rick Seaney, Randy Petersen, Tom Parsons, and Peter Greenberg
I hope Southwest did not put this panel together. I know ya'll are too smart to insinuate that Terry Trippler is an "expert."
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by irabk
I couldn't agree more... with one sentence of the above. "At the end of the day, people are loyal to programs where they are invested."
I've been predicting that loyalty to legacy FF programs will continue to diminish as those programs increasingly fail to deliver the goods: domestic upgrades and saver seats for international travel.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
So UA advertises their fares including all taxes and fees and does not have capacity controls on their cheapest fares?

What is a less convenient airport? Of course an airport is less convenient if it's not where you're going ... WN doesn't serve every city ... of course, neither does UA. Is OAK less convenient if you're traveling to Oakland? Is DAL less convenient if you're traveling to Dallas? Is FLL less convenient if you're traveling to Ft. Lauderdale? Is PBI less convenient if you're traveling to Palm Beach? On the other hand, if you're going to ATL, then certainly WN is less convenient than many other airlines since they don't fly there.

Ahh ... Chicago ... my hometown ... I think it's inarguable MDW is more convenient for much of Chicago proper since it is somewhat in the middle of the City, unlike ORD which is the far Northwest edge of the City. Same goes for Houston, I don't know if IAH is in Houston proper or not, but certainly HOU is more conveniently located for many travelers to the City.

Really? MDW more convenient than ORD? Maybe just in the sense of crowding and traffic. One is sw of the city, one is nw. Almost equidistant from downtown. Generally speaking, more business is on the NW corridor than on the SW. It's a personal issue for each individual, where they need to go.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Really? MDW more convenient than ORD? Maybe just in the sense of crowding and traffic. One is sw of the city, one is nw. Almost equidistant from downtown. Generally speaking, more business is on the NW corridor than on the SW. It's a personal issue for each individual, where they need to go.
Actually, no. If you are going downtown, which a whole lot of people do, you will get there significantly faster from Midway than O'hare regardless of your means of travel, at almost any time of the day.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Really? MDW more convenient than ORD?
Only if 30 Orange minutes downtown is more convenient to you than 60+ Blue minutes downtown, with the bonus of an unexpected bus transfer near Rosemont for the latter.

And that's after the easier baggage claim and walk at MDW.

And of course the winter storm/summer storm delays, which are invariably worse at ORD.

And the other delays inherent at ORD.

Other than that, they are equivalent, sure.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Only if 30 Orange minutes downtown is more convenient to you than 60+ Blue minutes downtown, with the bonus of an unexpected bus transfer near Rosemont for the latter.

And that's after the easier baggage claim and walk at MDW.

And of course the winter storm/summer storm delays, which are invariably worse at ORD.

And the other delays inherent at ORD.

Other than that, they are equivalent, sure.
Don't forget that all of the facilities at Midway are less than ten years old.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
MDW's advantage to me is that my real destination usually is south on I55. Two miles up Cicero, hang a Louie & I'm on my way out of town. Try that from ORD.

I can deal with either airport & I like the lounges at ORD, but MDW is not an issue for us.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:20 pm

I lived in Chicago for 17 years, I just moved west (Colorado) this summer. I am quite familiar with the city actually, lived downtown for years, Wheaton for a few, Arlington Heights, St. Charles. So as you can see...my path is NW. Most of my former colleagues disliked driving to MDW. As you know, the freeways are laid out like spokes and webs...as I stated before...if you have business NW, and I believe GENERALLY more business is N and NW than S and SW. GENERALLY. I realize it won't apply to everyone. Think Schaumburg for example. Last time I flew WN out of MDW the fare was 250 dollars cheaper on WN than AA, and we had 4 traveling for business. Half the people wanted to do ORD anyway! "too much of a hassle to get to MDW in traffic, lets just do ORD" this from Schaumburg. I had to get a limo so that everyone would agree...if I limo'd everyone, and no one had to park or drive they agreed to MDW and WN. Look, the airport was decent and I would give the flight decent marks.

Point is at the end of the day...I fly too many international legs to fly WN regularly. If WN becomes international...then legacy elite loyalists may consider. But heaven forbid. WN boosters...you want to compete with SQ? Talk about frills...and happy employees...and amenities....and brand new planes...which are spotless. Anyway, different thread. WN is great for some domestic hops and to certain markets. But for me to fly them, I need to have a fantastic fare difference and be going someplace UA doesn't. I need the EQM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If WN becomes international...then legacy elite loyalists may consider.
WN is miles away from offering international service that can compete with legacy carriers for any elites who get international upgrades. Merely achieving reasonably convenient connections to international flights is quite a hurdle. If your flights are mostly international, legacy elite status is where you are now and where you will stay for many years to come.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:10 pm

if you have business NW, and I believe GENERALLY more business is N and NW than S and SW. GENERALLY.
And what about Downtown? I've heard that's a popular business destination.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
A little google maps research gives the nod to MDW by 7 miles. YMMV.

Distance from MDW to State & Madison = 11.2 miles

Distance from ORD to State & Madison = 18.1 miles

Maybe it's just me, but I'd take the drive on the Stevenson over the Kennedy any day of the week. From the Western Suburbs, I find MDW more convenient but that may be just me.

How about the almost standard 2 hour minimum WX delays at ORD anytime so much as a drop of rain falls? While at the same time, MDW is almost always in better shape running on-time or near on-time. Extreme Chicago winter weather aside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.