Wiki Posts
Search

Sale fares pulled before midnight PST

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2004, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN DL UA AA CO US FL BA, PC Plat
Sale fares pulled before midnight PST

On Feb. 4, United announced a 48 hour sale ending midnight Feb. 5 for 59/79/99 each way. Most airlines matched immediately. I checked WN most of Feb. 4 but they had not matched. I checked mid-day on Feb. 5 and WN had matched. For example MDW-MSY had a $79 column, LAS-PDX had a $59 column. I picked some flights, hit purchase; the rules and those fares popped up.

Later that day around 10:30 PM I was ready to reserve. Same $59/$79 coulumns appeared, so I picked my flights. When I hit purchase, an error message appeared with wording something like the fare is no longer offered. I picked different flights, same response.

I then tried Expedia and Travelocity, all OAL's except NW had pulled those fares. Next day, OAL's extended the fare, WN did not.

My previous experience was that WN pulls fares at midnight PST. I'll have to be more careful in the future!
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:32 pm

I can't speak from experience (help me out nsx) but it should be midnight Herb Time a.k.a. Central Time.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Is it possible there was only a limited number of seats at that price. And someone was faster booking then you by the time you were ready to purchase all seats at that price have been sold??
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WN LUVS U:
I can't speak from experience (help me out nsx) but it should be midnight Herb Time a.k.a. Central Time.</font>

Other fares I've booked(click-n-save internet specials, etc). lasted until 2 am CT, i.e. midnight PT.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by john398:
Is it possible there was only a limited number of seats at that price. And someone was faster booking then you by the time you were ready to purchase all seats at that price have been sold??</font>

No, I tried different flights using the same fare column, same results - fare no longer available. I think WN followed the pack and pulled these fares before midnight, just as OAL's did. There are several comments in the United forum about this.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:28 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
The majors seem to schedule based on Central time, so they probably got pulled at 10pm PST, which is why you couldn't get them anymore. You probably hit the system as they were being pulled out.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WN LUVS U:
I can't speak from experience (help me out nsx) but it should be midnight Herb Time a.k.a. Central Time.</font>
I'm normally able to book a sale fare up until about 5 minutes AFTER midnight PST. But that is with 14 and 21 day advance tickets rather than with a sale match from another airline. It seems like if it is a sale match from another airline, SWA will pull the fares as soon as they can after the other airline pulls their fares rather than waiting until midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.