Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated WN Hawai'i rumors thread (post-ATA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
And I bet those planes were half filled with award flyers.
No one knows for certain, but I can't imagine a Hawaii flight going out with 50% award users.

It seems like the usual laws of supply and demand as they pertain to the airlines' willingness to load award inventory would apply to Hawaii just like anywhere else.

I don't think Hawaii has a truly off-peak season (clearly the cold weather months in the U.S. contain some of the max-peak weeks to warm destinations), but we've only had success using our miles to Hawaii in the (U.S.) summer when presumably fewer people are seeking a tropical island.

Maybe *our* flights (by virtue of the timing) had a higher-than-average percentage of award users, but I'd guess it was closer to 10-20% than 50% Again, anecdotal observations based on how freakin' hard it is to find award seats to Hawaii without a huge amount of advance planning.

Summer is also a nice time to go for hotel awards - we've always received nice upgrades and enjoyed less-than-full hotels, reasonably easy-to-book activities, access to restaurants, etc. (OK, that's OT...)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by traveller001
Routed the way they were last year they were close to shore.

However draw some lines between ATL,BWI,MCO&MKE to AUA,CUN,COS,MBJ,PVR,PUJ,&ZIH and you'll see why the installed rafts on some AC and will operate ETOPS. Significant cut in flight time and fuel burn.

Did you miss the announcement of service to Bermuda starting next spring? Try that without ETOPs!
I didn't know Colorado Springs (COS) would require an ETOPS aircraft or flew over water......lol

I think you meant Cozumel (CZM)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by lougord99
And I bet those planes were half filled with award flyers.

Anyone familiar with the two words "Yield management" knows that no plane goes out half filled with award redemptions.

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Flying -800's with Sky interiors might also aid in competing against carriers who use wide body jets on the route. It should help to give that more open and airy high ceiling feel of a 767.

Unbelievable!! I know you guys are WN fans, but .... REALLY? Have you ever flown on a 767 or A330? A 737 with Sky Interior will not feel like a 767 or A330.

With the exception of the mood lighting, the Sky interior is mostly the implementation of the 777 interior for narrow body aircraft. HA's 767's already have the new generation bin storage.

Hawaiian Airlines 767
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

Unbelievable!! I know you guys are WN fans, but .... REALLY? Have you ever flown on a 767 or A330? A 737 with Sky Interior will not feel like a 767 or A330.

With the exception of the mood lighting, the Sky interior is mostly the implementation of the 777 interior for narrow body aircraft. HA's 767's already have the new generation bin storage.

Hawaiian Airlines 767
Is it not a reasonable statement to say that a 738 with sky interior will make for an improved atmosphere? At least as compared to 738's who made the trip across the pond to Hawaii historically with the older style interiors? The 767 is obviously the more spacious of the 2, but with the sky interior the gap is narrowed by just that much.

When you say things like "you WN fans", it makes me think that perhaps you have no interest in actual Southwest related topics so you're whole point of being in this forum right now is to make derogatory remarks and stir the pot. If it's all the same to you,.. Don't worry about it.. Enjoy your experiences on what ever airline you prefer and let us "WN fans" be. We're just in here having positive discussions about perspective positive changes to our airline. Why does that bother you?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:43 am

Cool

Is it not a reasonable statement to say that a 738 with sky interior will make for an improved atmosphere? At least as compared to 738's who made the trip across the pond to Hawaii historically with the older style interiors?
Yes, it's reasonable when you are comparing apples to apples. Its when you went way out in left field by comparing a 738 with mood lighting to a widebody with essentially the same interior, that I had to take issue.

If you had made the comparison between WN and AS' new flights, I wouldn't have made the comment.

The 767 is obviously the more spacious of the 2, but with the sky interior the gap is narrowed by just that much.
Thats more wishful thinking on your part. The new interior isn't going to magically make the 737 any wider. The 737 hull will remain the same size and the seats will remain at 17" versus 18" on HA's 767/A330 metal.

When you say things like "you WN fans", it makes me think that perhaps you have no interest in actual Southwest related topics so you're whole point of being in this forum right now is to make derogatory remarks and stir the pot.
Although not always for the same reason as many here, I do have an interest in WN topics. I've been "stirring the pot" here since 2003(ask nsx), and when I use the phrase "you WN fans" its usually in response to non-factual or absurd statements based soley on the fever many have here.

We're just in here having positive discussions about perspective positive changes to our airline. Why does that bother you?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't bother me, but if you're going to make absurd statements then expect them to be challenged.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes, it's reasonable when you are comparing apples to apples. Its when you went way out in left field by comparing a 738 with mood lighting to a widebody with essentially the same interior, that I had to take issue.

If you had made the comparison between WN and AS' new flights, I wouldn't have made the comment.

Thats more wishful thinking on your part. The new interior isn't going to magically make the 737 any wider. The 737 hull will remain the same size and the seats will remain at 17" versus 18" on HA's 767/A330 metal.

Although not always for the same reason as many here, I do have an interest in WN topics. I've been "stirring the pot" here since 2003(ask nsx), and when I use the phrase "you WN fans" its usually in response to non-factual or absurd statements based soley on the fever many have here.

We're just in here having positive discussions about perspective positive changes to our airline. Why does that bother you?

It doesn't bother me, but if you're going to make absurd statements then expect them to be challenged.

I know this game,.. You quote what I said, but you reply as if I said something else..

Essentially all I'm saying is that a 738 with sky interior brings it just that much closer to the 767 experience than a 738 without sky interior.. There is absolutely nothing "absurd" about that statement. It's not "wishful thinking" it's simply a true statement.. If you can make a valid point as to how a 738 with an upgraded more open feel interior is NOT closer to to the experience on a widebody flight you might be on to something.

Allow me to dissect your flawed logic in this argument. You've underlined a handful of the things that still make the narrow body experience inferior to the widebody experience, but you're acting as if by saying those things that it makes my statements untrue.. Yes the seats are still 17 inches, and the plane is indeed smaller (did you honestly think I was insinuating otherwise? ). But the fact that the Sky interior makes the whole cabin seem larger and more open does make it SOME degree closer to a flight on a widebody jet.. There's nothing to disagree about.. It's not even really a matter of opinion,.. This is essentially a fact. People's ideas as to how much of an improvement it makes might vary some degree, but unless you're ready to make the case that the Sky interior actually makes for a worse experience, you haven't got a converse point to make with anything I've said here.. All you can do (and so far HAVE done) is take what I'm saying out of context so that you can argue about it.. I'm not debating the pros and cons of a 737 vs a 767,.. You're the only one doing that..

Last edited by num1bearsfan; Dec 17, 2010 at 3:20 am
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Let's also not forget that award flights are not non-revenue. Each and every award ticket was paid for, just in a different way.

I think when we are discussing how many award seats are on each flight many make the wrong assumption that the airline is giving away that seat. While one can say it's a seat that could have been sold for cash, if a pax using an award is in that seat it has already been paid for. And for an ff program to work the airline must reasonably allow those redemptions... which the airline has received the revenue for already.

So even if a flight went out full of award pax it would still probably be, in toto, a money maker.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, I don't think an airline could operate a flight full of award travelers profitably - but I since Hawaii is hardly an underserved market, covered by many of the largest airlines in the world, that tells me the see it as a profitable place to operate. And I agree with the points above: yield management concepts still apply to Hawaii and every airline needs to balance carefully how much inventory to allot to a highly-popular leisure route, keeping in mind that the passengers who hold miles perceive them to have value based largely on their utility.

Sidebar: I recall lengthy discussions a few years back about how AA was known for loose availability to Hawaii and UA was known as tight. I found that experience to be true...and then 180-degrees flip-flopped for Europe in the same time period. I was happy I held both miles.

As for the discussion about aircraft type, I'm happy to see WN adding a roomier (or roomier-feeling) 737. Aircraft type is rarely a factor in my decision to buy a ticket: the exception might be a carrier midway through a cabin renovation (e.g., UA 767's vs 777's in F/C). But still, I'll never complain about new planes and improvements to a cabin interior. Not sure why this is a controversial or caustic topic.

The 767 vs. 737 discussion is moot as none of us realistically expect WN to fly widebodies. If we're considering a WN ticket at all, our expectations are the 73x platform, so seeing them adding a new version is a positive.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by pinniped
The 767 vs. 737 discussion is moot as none of us realistically expect WN to fly widebodies. If we're considering a WN ticket at all, our expectations are the 73x platform, so seeing them adding a new version is a positive.
I concur. I wouldn't start to worry until we see discussions on the WN board like this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nt-caviar.html
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:06 pm

Let's assume that SWA jumps into the Hawaiian market. As everyone has pointed out, Hawaii is not underserved. That said, would this force the hands of some of the legacy carriers to scale back or drop out of the Hawaiian market?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Bishope2
Let's assume that SWA jumps into the Hawaiian market. As everyone has pointed out, Hawaii is not underserved. That said, would this force the hands of some of the legacy carriers to scale back or drop out of the Hawaiian market?
A few legacy carriers might drop a few west coast flights, but IMHO HA needs to be looking over its shoulder more than the big guys. The legacy carriers all have well-developed mainland networks feeding their Hawaii flights, and so will WN. HA, on the other hand, gets by on its loyalty factor with Hawaii residents and its interisland feed. A look at the Hawaii-Based forum on FT will show you some cracks in the loyalty factor due to outsourcing Hawaii jobs and devaluations of their FF program. They may be small cracks for now, but here in the islands there is grumbling about that and interisland price escalation.

In an interesting side note, CO has announced LAX-ITO service, which will hurt HA at least a little. Any speculation as to whether WN may fly anywhere in Hawaii other than HNL? Here in the Neighbor Islands, we are drooling over the prospect of WN service, either interisland or to the mainland.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:41 am

Cool

Deleted
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I know nothing about the Hawaiian inter-island system, but I would love to go sometime. Since most of my flying is on WN, I would like to be able to go free, or nearly so.

In the past, WN has in part made their presence by utilizing under served airports to provide new competition, i.e. LUV, MDW, PVD and MHT for BOS, and three airports for southern CAL instead of LAX. Is there an airport in HI that is good sized that would handle all of the mainland to HI flights and serve as a feeder site to the rest of the island?

If WN were to fly out of ONT and OAK for example as feeders to this HI destination, and feed HI like they do Texas with directs and connections, would that work?

There may be difficulties with HI that I do not see, but that would seem to be a plan to look at. It also seems that it would hit Hawaiian Air the hardest.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
. . . Is there an airport in HI that is good sized that would handle all of the mainland to HI flights and serve as a feeder site to the rest of the island?

ITO is very underutilized and has a long runway for handling wide-bodied aircraft, but 70-75% of Hawaii's population resides on Oahu, home of HNL. The residents of HNL would be loathe to make connections for O&D trips, so WN would have to focus there, IMHO. That would not, however, prevent NW from having non-stop flights to ITO, KOA, LIH, or OGG, especially the latter three which are already served by several legacy carriers each.

If WN were to fly out of ONT and OAK for example as feeders to this HI destination, and feed HI like they do Texas with directs and connections, would that work?

IMHO, the success of WN in the Hawaii market will be greater if they use western U.S. gateways with the maximum connecting flights from points east. That might not be ONT and OAK. LAS is WN's biggest flight center (we never use the word "hub" in relation to WN, do we?) and an incredibly popular destination for Hawaii residents, but I don't know if the 737-800 has the range for non-stop service to the Islands.
There may be difficulties with HI that I do not see, but that would seem to be a plan to look at. It also seems that it would hit Hawaiian Air the hardest.

Agreed.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:14 pm

Southwest to Alaska and Hawaii

Gary Kelly confirmed at a company event in Dallas last night that Southwest will initiate service to both Alaska and Hawaii. No dates at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.