Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enforcement of Boarding Order: consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jeffhacker
I agree. I just flew DAL-ABQ-OAK last night - first time since they made the changes. I thought it was a "cluster f*!k" and a total waste.
I flew out of DAL about two weeks ago and had no problems. Gate 11 had the numbered lines and everything. Maybe ABQ was the issue, however. I quickly learned with WN to not go through ABQ, since it seems that I always have to change planes. When booking travel from DAL, I always pick the flights that say "1 stop" and don't list an airport code, since we stay on the same plane the whole time. Those usually stop in AMA, LBB or AUS when going to LAS.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
CO has a no-middle seat guarantee; the seats in front are reserved for FF members, I can (and have) used FF miles to fly to dozens of more interesting place around the globe than I could on WN (as well as anyplace WN flies), and I can use the preferred FF security line at most airports to save a great deal of time.

So, BS really won't be that attractive to many other airlines FF members. It's really only better compared to what WN, not what most other airlines, offered.
Ah, but you miss the all too important point: where's your home base? CO does nothing for me. I am based in PHX and fly mainly west USA, and only Dallas and Austin in TX. That's WN territory other than US.

Hence my point. FF status through security and they may entice me back. AA until then with the occasional US when AA can't make it work through LAX or SFO.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
After all, this is SWA's policy. Us Pax are not in charge of enforcing policy.[/QUOTE]

Thank You..................I did get riled up in Denver to ABQ last friday then got over it. The GA's need WN to get them all bathtubs to sleep in, Spinless. It's there deal not mine.

I am using WN ABQ- Den to connect with Frontier and UA. It is better for me to use other Airlines until they "Get it".

A Lister is done with WN
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Until Southwest's Ops Agents get a handle on line jumping, this is going to annoy even more people than the previous occasional line confusion and the "does sitting in the chairs count as being in line" debates.

I had at least 10 people cut if front of me (in the A1-15 gap) yesterday, including an A59. Even though I knew that my seat in the back half of the airplane was safe, the blatant cheating still annoyed me.

I for one don't buy the ignorance excuse. If people were paid $5 each to take their correct positions, you'd see just how non-ignorant they are. The line jumpers know exactly what they're doing.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by nsx
Until Southwest's Ops Agents get a handle on line jumping, this is going to annoy even more people than the previous occasional line confusion and the "does sitting in the chairs count as being in line" debates.

I had at least 10 people cut if front of me (in the A1-15 gap) yesterday, including an A59. Even though I knew that my seat in the back half of the airplane was safe, the blatant cheating still annoyed me.

I for one don't buy the ignorance excuse. If people were paid $5 each to take their correct positions, you'd see just how non-ignorant they are. The line jumpers know exactly what they're doing.
Agreed and annoying, I heard a pax in ABQ-TUS throw a fit with GA who let a A-40 go ahead of him, he was A-2 BS fare. Sat next to him on flight, we fly Wn because it is 1 hour and direct. He is doing as I am on longer flights. Use WN to DEN and switch to UA and FT. WN is still a good deal ABQ-DEN but FT matched WN this week. It seems some of us are voting with our wallets and feet.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:09 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by loboclone
Agreed and annoying, I heard a pax in ABQ-TUS throw a fit with GA who let a A-40 go ahead of him, he was A-2 BS fare.
I probably would have spoken up as well, had this happened to me. It's one thing having someone A40 go at A35 or A30, but to go in front of someone who paid extra is inexcusable. The GA should be paying attention to the order that early on.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I would have got GA's name who allows an A59 to board early. It is obvious that A 59 should be at END of the A boarders. And then report him/her to WN - after talking to him/her about it and advising I will report. After all, it is the GA job to keep the boarding process acording to the rules.

If a A 30 got on before A 28, not such a big deal -- but A 59 one of first!!

WN better get this under control.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I would have got GA's name who allows an A59 to board early. It is obvious that A 59 should be at END of the A boarders. And then report him/her to WN - after talking to him/her about it and advising I will report. After all, it is the GA job to keep the boarding process acording to the rules.

If a A 30 got on before A 28, not such a big deal -- but A 59 one of first!!

WN better get this under control.
Again, this is WN boarding deal not ours. The purpose of BS and A-List is to reward the FF,ME! You don't reward me with early boarding if the whole process is a not Followed. The FF now know it is not being enforced system wide other than a "few" GA's reported here and WN Blog. Hurray for them, but it isn't working in general and it is known as a flawed process that can be abused. So be it, I am on Frontier next week, assigned seat, aisle row 6! Good for me!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:36 pm

My A-list husband sees high As jumping into the empty 1-15 BS space all the time, with absolutely no enforcement whatsoever. Here I was worried about what would happen when I fly with him and have a high A, but obviously I can just jump on before him and the rest of the A-listers since BS is almost always empty on his route.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: SWA
Calling SWABrian....

SWABrian, what suggestions can you provide for us to be helpful to you in resolving the boarding issue? Specific flights, dates & gates listed for your followup?

While complaining can be fun, there might be a kernel of value here.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
How about Brian gives us the email address of the top manager at each station (airport)? Then we just email the manager our specific reports of line jumping at that airport. Time, gate number, flight, and specifics of the situation. This way the message gets where it needs to get the same day as the incident, when people may still remember just what happened. Three strikes and the ops agent gets assigned to baggage loading.

FT members as quality control inspectors. @:-)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"Thank you for keeping the rules..."

I think the crucial moment is between the GA's spiel and the "A1-30 may now board" announcement. For the first couple of days, there were extra GAs hovering around the boarding areas, facilitating the new process. Since then, there's usually one GA, unless the podium serves two gates. Southwest needs to staff this again, and for a while. Then it may work over the long haul. Right now, in my own experience, it's going the other way. I just had an experience at LAX like the one nsx described (A1-15 filling with people who weren't).

For the time being, I say, "Thank you for keeping the rules. It's all up to you now," to the GA who scans the boarding pass,whether s/he is or not.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:24 am

I feel that any official word from Southwest on this will essentially be lip service. Boarding rule enforcement in the past (families for example) has been a crap shoot, with many GA's turning a blind eye to anyone bending the rules.

What would temporarily work would be GA's making an announcement that A1-A15 positions are BS passengers only, and any non BS passengers found in these positions will be boarded at the end of the A group. They wouldn't even have to enforce it, just make the announcement.

This will probably be a recurring problem that we will have to live with until yield management is able to reduce the empty number of BS slots.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by max bet
They wouldn't even have to enforce it, just make the announcement.
This is the cause of the existing complaints. @:-)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:05 am

A perceived threat of enforcement may reduce the problem, and is better than doing nothing at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.