Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROTC rifle as baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

ROTC rifle as baggage

My brother (15) will be traveling alone on Southwest airlines. He's on the NJRTOC rifle team and wants to bring his rifle along to practice. This is a demilitarized springfield 1903 , it is incapable of firing and has white tape on it.

I called at southwest and completely threw the rep for a loop. She believes it should be treated like a firearm (locked plastic case), but was very unsure. In the end she said it was up to the desk agent.

If we can just throw in in a suitcase, that would be best, he doesn't have a case for it and we don't want to address the issue of a 15 year-old traveling with a "firearm".

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible to call someone at the local airport and get a verdict?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I don't know the answer, but I would think if he can field strip it and put it in a checked bag it would be treated like any other firearm. Or even put it into two separate bags.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
action8, welcome to FlyerTalk! Let me move this to our Southwest Rapid Rewards Forum for more focused assistance. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 4, 2008 at 1:18 pm Reason: Correction of forum name
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: WN CP
Even if the rifle is incapable of firing (something I wouldn't expect the TSA or the CSA to verify), it is still a rifle and must be treated according to policy:

http://southwest.com/travel_center/guns.html
Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, LOCKED container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
  1. A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
  2. A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
  3. Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Even if the rifle is incapable of firing (something I wouldn't expect the TSA or the CSA to verify)
I shudder to think of what could possibly happen if a TSA agent tried to verify it was incapable of firing.

I think I'd rather have the CSA check it than I would the fine folks with TSA.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:12 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
I thinks it's safe to say that the rifle can't be a carryon--even if it is unable to fire. Many graduates of boot camps are awarded with inert hand grenades and these aren't allowed as carryons either.

As to checked baggage, I would imagine that it will have to comply with all firearms procedures that curbcrusher has linked to above. All checked baggage is subject to TSA inspection, and if they find a firearm without the proper packing/procedures, whether working or not, the bag probably isn't going anywhere.

Brian
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks curbcrusher, that's the best info I've received yet. What do you think about the part where
Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter
I don't see an age restriction there, will that be an issue?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:22 am

How about shipping it via FedEx/UPS?USPS. Might cost a little more, but I would think you will run into fewer potential issues.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

El Boocho - Good suggestion. I was thinking along those lines if we would be forced to buy a case for it. I wish there was someone I could ask directly, but I think the only option is to drive to the airport (1500 miles away for me
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by action8
I don't see an age restriction there, will that be an issue?
You're welcome! SWABrian can clarify if necessary, but as the policy states nothing with regard to age, I don't believe your brother will have an issue.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
You're welcome! SWABrian can clarify if necessary, but as the policy states nothing with regard to age, I don't believe your brother will have an issue.
I'm not aware of any age limits. The idea to ship it UPS or FedEX might be a good one if you don't have a rifle case, and it would probably be significantly cheaper--especially if you ship ground ahead of time.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, you've all been a great help! This is a great forum.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
This brought up memories from my youth and i scoured the web to make sure my suspicion was correct. My father had several larger guns for the police force he kept in his closet and they all had cases/covers that were locked when he left them at home.

Most rifle cases aren't hard sided. Othewise they're big and cumbersome and you look like you're some sort of assasin. That's way too much for a gun that's unable to fire.

FedEx or UPS it - the best i found was a crappy looking (read: cheap, flimsy) case for like $85 dollars.

The irony is that you could probably break that hard case open in a few seconds despite the lock while the locked softcases are near impossible to open as they're meant not to be ripped/cut/torn.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KNRG
The irony is that you could probably break that hard case open in a few seconds despite the lock while the locked softcases are near impossible to open as they're meant not to be ripped/cut/torn.
I actually had the same exact thought. I remember hunting many years ago with a hard case and I leaned back on it, while it was lying closed and flat on the ground, and snapped a plastic hinge. I probably weighed 120 pounds dripping wet at the time.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by action8
I actually had the same exact thought. I remember hunting many years ago with a hard case and I leaned back on it, while it was lying closed and flat on the ground, and snapped a plastic hinge. I probably weighed 120 pounds dripping wet at the time.
Hey guys, the point of the hard case isn't to prevent firearms from being stolen or even opened, it is to protect Ramp Agents from idiots who check loaded weapons. Every year, you read oif a rifle or a pistol discharging in a checked bag, and many times, this has fatal results for Ramp Agents. In my previous career as a Ramper for a major carrier, I worked one six-month shift bid at the International bag drop. This was during the first Gulf War and we had to x-ray all international bags. On our flight to MEX, the screeners would average finding a loaded pistol every day. I gave checked bags a healthy respect after that. For a rifle, the hardside container provides more protection than a softside one. I would imagine that even with today's enhanced security it is possible that a loaded weapon slips by in checked baggage every now and then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.