Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Promo code!! 15% off fall travel booked by 4/21/08

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo code!! 15% off fall travel booked by 4/21/08

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Thumbs up Promo code!! 15% off fall travel booked by 4/21/08

This came through at the same time as the schedule opening headline:

DING! is making headlines...save 15 percent with this special offer. Click here for specific details and to purchase by 11:59 PM CDT, Monday, April 21, 2008.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Clicking through the link gives this:
Now Accepting Reservations
Through October 30, 2008!

Save 15% off your next
Southwest Airlines roundtrip
purchase for Fall travel!

Use Promotion Code: DING15
  • Purchase must be made between April 18, 2008 and April 21, 2008 for travel August 23, 2008 through October 30, 2008.
  • Blackout dates apply August 29, 2008 through September 1, 2008. If any portion of travel falls on a blackout date the discount will not apply.
  • 15% discount valid for use at southwest.com off the total amount of roundtrip purchase before taxes and fees.
  • The discount is only valid with the provided Promotion Code and is not combinable with other Promotion Codes.
  • This promotion does not include Business Select, Business, or Senior Fares.
  • Discount does not include taxes and fees.
  • Roundtrip purchase required.
  • Minimum seven day advance purchase required.
  • Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualifications for this promotion.
  • Youth, Child, Infant, and Military Fares are not available for purchase at southwest.com.
  • Reservations made through southwestvacations.com or swabiz.com are not eligible for this promotion.
Redeem Your Coupon!
Edited to add: The promo code appears to also be valid outside of DING!

Last edited by curbcrusher; Apr 18, 2008 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This definitely looks like an unlimited use promo code. Can someone please confirm this ASAP?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
This definitely looks like an unlimited use promo code. Can someone please confirm this ASAP?
Confirmed.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
"Roundtrip purchase required"

They just won't give us RR-one-wayers a break...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:31 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DallasBill
"Roundtrip purchase required"

They just won't give us RR-one-wayers a break...
You can book a dummy return for October and re-use those funds as soon as you fly the outbound.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: SWA RR
Originally Posted by nsx
You can book a dummy return for October and re-use those funds as soon as you fly the outbound.
The second bullet point after the "Roundtrip Purchase Required" could be used to nullify this idea.

"Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualifications for this promotion."

The bullet point immediately after roundtrip required, "Minimum seven day advance purchase required", is a worthless restriction since the sale is valid for flights starting in August, but the DING15 code ends in April.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:42 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Appletom
The second bullet point after the "Roundtrip Purchase Required" could be used to nullify this idea.

"Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualifications for this promotion."
In theory. In practice, we've never seen segments be repriced after you fly only one half.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Interesting idea and I'll keep that in mind next time (if there is one). Not worth it to me to re-do, to save 45 bucks and let them have half my money thru the end of September.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess if you really have to be someplace during this time period the promo is useful, but I've got to say the fares I've looked at look high. With the price of oil, this may be the new reality, but my guess is that if you wait for a "sale" -- and certainly a Ding -- you'd be able to travel for less. WN seems to not have loaded any "sale" fares for that time period.

Of course, with WN's refundability, it's easy to hedge your bets.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 700k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
On the one hand...

Looking at these sale fares of $121 ai SFO/OAK-LAX RT, and ~$300 ai MHT/PVD-LAX RT, it looks like 15% off of a pretty hefty real fare increase, year over year (at least MHT-LAX, about doubling). **That's the news item.** nsx has repeatedly predicted a hefty fall fare increase a propos of fuel prices, and he's right again...

So, on the one hand, all things considered, I'll wait, hoping that Ding, aka yield management, will trump fuel increases in driving the real prices. (It is during one of the nadirs of the year.) On the other hand, with Southwest's generous cancel policy, why not lock in an intra-California trip or two?

Two more things:

Another news item: Looks like Southwest is dipping its toe back into a roundtrip advantage, which we haven't seen for a while.

Finally, there's a trick in this. I'm going to let it ride, as it may come to you, and telling such things on this board is the equivalent of calling it in.

[Edit: I was writing as iahphx was.]
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:02 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Fall fares will likely get cheaper as they announce sales for the dates when they get closer. Of course, if you know you need or want to go somewhere, you can just book the ticket pretty much risk free anyway since you can always rebook if and when lower fares do become available.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Finally, there's a trick in this. I'm going to let it ride, as it may come to you, and telling such things on this board is the equivalent of calling it in.

[Edit: I was writing as iahphx was.]
Would you mind sharing the trick? Or at least revealing it when it is mentioned by someone else? Otherwise, you are going to drive me crazy trying to figure out what it was.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

"SAVE10" is another code valid this weekend for the same travel window. I'm not bothering with a new thread for it since it is not as good as "DING15".

http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/sa...FS000000080418
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:01 pm

comparing what i paid for flights I'm taking from May to August, these 15% off fares, even with the higher "rack rate" are a few bucks lower. However, i'll check back at the next sale to see if they decide to lower the price, but somehow, I doubt it with higher priced oil - i imagine even the legacy's will boost prices giving WN the window to do the same.

The only item I don't like is the roundtrip requirement - I'm never sure when meetings will start/end until closer to the date, so I have to book differnt tickets for arrival the day before and also early the day of my meetings. Same with the return, either at the very end of the day or first flight the next day. Hope they don't decide to start repricing fares afterwards for canceling portions of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.