Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A happy WN camper...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by KNRG
I was about to say - how hard/expensive would it be to install some sort of IFE?
Is this a serious question? It's not like you can just superglue iPods to seatbacks.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I know it wouldn't be cheap-cheap like as if I could afford it myself, but relatively cheap in terms of airline costs.

I wasn't expecting state of the art high-fidelity plasma touch screens and LED mood lighting. Heck, i'd be happy if they took other airlines old systems secondhand.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
I know it wouldn't be cheap-cheap like as if I could afford it myself, but relatively cheap in terms of airline costs.

I wasn't expecting state of the art high-fidelity plasma touch screens and LED mood lighting. Heck, i'd be happy if they took other airlines old systems secondhand.
The true expense is the extra weight of the system including the necessary wiring, not to mention the maintenance and subscription costs. Besides, every WN seat already has the finest IFE included - Spirit magazine.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:52 pm

Given that our entire fleet is fairly "plug-n-play" it wouldn't make sense to install a heavy IFE system in every plane. It's not worth it to haul around that weigh on our shorter routes and we don't necessarily have a subfleet for longhauls etc. It's all about keeping things simple and uniform. Maybe they could install the over-aisle TV screens, might be less weight than PTV's in every seat, but with every complexity you add onboard, you increase maintenance costs.

I look forward to having internet onboard, I think it will be a great addition to our onboard product!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Are there any more details on the wireless internet?

Technical requirements, will it require access codes? How secure will the network be? Is it an upcharge service? Speed..? Would every person on the plane using it bog down the system substantially? Will coverage in the cabin be uniform or will certain seats have better coverage? Like is the plan to install a single trasmitter somewhere at the front or back or will it have several?

And doesn't it kinda completely go against the no-trasmitting-devices thing, so what happens with that?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Would every person on the plane using it bog down the system substantially?
That's for sure. You can count on video downloads being blocked or severely throttled. It's quite expensive to send bits to a user in an airplane. High data rate applications will cost big bucks or they will be rationed some other way.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 700k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Unless You purchase several tickets on various days when you might be leaving, and when the time gets closer, cancel the ones you don't plan to use, and then you can use them for other travel further down the road [timewise]
Bingo.

(Or for the return -- even better, IMO.)

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 27, 2008 at 6:56 am
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 700k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by cwillyg2
...I'm going too out of my way to fly to IAD/BWI with WN when I could fly to DCA with other carriers out of ORD...
Bingo!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by CABNcrew
...As for IFE I don't think you'll see that onboard anytime soon in terms of television/movies, but remember we're rolling out onboard WiFi this summer and I can't imagine plans for fleet-wide implementation could be too far behind as our new push is business travelers and WN knows internet access is incredibly valuable...
Bingo!!!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:55 am

Are there any more details on the wireless internet?

Technical requirements, will it require access codes? How secure will the network be? Is it an upcharge service? Speed..? Would every person on the plane using it bog down the system substantially? Will coverage in the cabin be uniform or will certain seats have better coverage? Like is the plan to install a single trasmitter somewhere at the front or back or will it have several?

And doesn't it kinda completely go against the no-trasmitting-devices thing, so what happens with that?
To answer MOST of your questions, "I simply don't know". I know that's not a very informed answer, but I really don't know much about the system. We haven't been told much by the company, and probably for good reason. I know it's being provided by ROW 44 and I've read a bit on their website, maybe that will answer some questions for you!

As for your last statement regarding "no transmitting devices", shall I just expound upon that for a nano-second!

There are really two separate issues that sometimes pax get confused, perhaps because we're not doing such a good job of explaining ourselves?

1.) ALL portable electronic devices, regardless of their function, must be turned OFF and stowed for operation below 10K ft. This is related to the FAR's, but most of you know them and how they're enforced so I'll spare you the nails on the chalkboard.

2.) Once the aircraft reaches 10K ft you can turn ANYTHING back on that isn't sending or receiving a signal. Cell phones must be in game/airplane mode etc.

At least at WN these are the procedures we've told the FAA we would follow, therefor this is what they hold us to and can fine us for if we don't uphold. This translates into the fact that it's my job as a FA to inform you of all rules/regulations/policies. Pax should be aware that not all airlines have the same rules/regs regarding certain issues (for instance at some carriers you're not allowed any carryons in the exit row, everything must go up top) so just because it may be different where you're used to flying, or it doesn't make sense to you, the rules are what they are and the FA's are supposed to enforce them. The best way to prepare yourself is to listen to any announcements made by the crew which generally spell out the requirements and expectations! There are rules at church, rules in the grocery store and yes, rules on a plane.

Another component to having things turned off from pushback to 10K is that whether or not you're paying attention, your full attention is available in the event any emergencies should occur, and you're likely not distracting someone else. Many frequent flyers know the safety demo by heart, they always travel on similar types of aircraft so they don't feel the need to pay attention and I respect that. I would never go into anyone else's place of work and interrupt them while they work so we appreciate it if those of you choosing not to watch could give us our 3 mins to perform our "dog and pony" show, so that even the ONE person who may be a first time, or newer flyer can pay attention. Once it's over it over, but please give your flight crew at LEAST the respect to finish their job.

Also, please don't get frustrated if we have to ask you 3 or 4 times to turn off your phone. MOST people know the rules when they fly (they are generally the same) and we're not doing anything but our jobs. I don't like having to ask someone repeatedly to do anything, it's no fun, but please just be respectful.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The system will go through a certification process where it's shielding is verified and additional shielding is added to the aircraft's avionics. The flight crew will also have the ability to shut off the system during critical phases of flights as well as anytime that interference is suspected.

IFE is nice but I'd rather have power outlets. I bring TiVo'd TV shows on my notebook computer to watch in flight and the limiting factor is battery life. The power would also work for DVDs on computers or dedicated players, video games, etc.

With IFE you not only need the screens but also an audio distribution system for each seat which adds to the conversion costs as well as a supply of headsets at each departure gate.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:16 pm

I am a WN Happy Camper. I fly to SMF from Tucson about 10 times a year and have never had a cancelled flight. I have been able to make changes without change fees. I had booked a group of three flights for last Labor Day weekend. I found out we had to leave the night before...the total rebooking fare change was a $45.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
I have mixed feelings about the WN vs. the change fees of the legacy airlines. It's cheaper to change WN ahead of time if you're changing the outbound flights, but if you want to change the return after departing on the trip the legacies are usually cheaper. Plus no free standby on WN. It just depends on your travel habits I guess.

Traveler
Re; changing the return after departing. This used to be a frequent issue for me. Then I started booking two one-way tickets (I believe WN was one of the first, if not the first, airline to do away with the 'one-way' price penalty). I find this much easier if I want to change either the outbound or return leg only. Plus, if it's a last-minute change, I only get hit with the price increase on the leg I need rebooked.

There are certain regular leisure trips that I ONLY book with WN, and it's because of their generous cancellation policy (ski trips - nothing like booking months or even weeks ahead of time and then the weather falls apart days before your trip). I've been occasionally frustrated by their standby policy, but overall, it's the ability to cancel without penalty, more than anything else, that keeps me coming back again and again.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
I really liked WN but then Herb left and now WN is making the same type of stupid decisions that DL made in the early 2000s.
This worries me too...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=KNRG;9637801]I know it wouldn't be cheap-cheap like as if I could afford it myself, but relatively cheap in terms of airline costs. QUOTE]

(emphasis mine).

"relatively"? remember, we're talking about airlines (generally) cutting things like airsick bags to save costs....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.