Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 7:41 am

Forgive me if this was covered in another thread, but did anyone ever figure out a pattern to the A-listers boarding pass numbers
Old May 14, 2009, 10:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
When A-List was first rolled out someone from WN commented that the order within the A-List group was based on several factors, including number of segments flown. I often fly with a co-worker who is also A-List and he always receives a lower number than I do (usually several numbers lower) and often the only differences between our tickets is that he flies more paid segments than me, so I believe that number of segments is the primary factor used to order the A-List boarding passes.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
A-lister here with A-33 for HOU-PHX tomorrow. Highest # I've ever received (over 140 flights, original A-lister).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:27 pm

Happens regularly in my OAK-BUR weekly flight.

I fly OAK to BUR almost every week at the 7AM flight. I usually get mid-20's for that, but A-35 is not uncommon. Still, I tend to get to the airport late enough that it doesn't matter.

I then fly BUR to OAK on the wednesday 6PM flight. On THIS one, I have been regularly getting A-40 to A-55 (!!) as an A-lister AND CP holder (I've flown over 100 segments in 7 months with SW). So not only are there lots of A's on that flight, they are "serious" A's like me, assuming I understand correctly that A listers get their assignment based on their internal ranking within the system.

In fact its gotten so bad that I have been buying the business select fares for this flight for the past few weeks so I can get the seat I want.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by lightnng
...they are "serious" A's like me, assuming I understand correctly that A listers get their assignment based on their internal ranking within the system....
I don't think we can assume that they use an internal ranking system. I have seen some A-lites get in front of me. On one of my regular flights, there's a guy who's usually behind me but sometimes draws a BP ahead of me.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I don't think we can assume that they use an internal ranking system.
No assumption needed. The guy I know who flies 2 RTs per week gets A16 every single time. Case closed.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:03 am

My first ever WN flight tomorrow, and I am A22. Did I just get really lucky?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:15 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mke9499
Yes. An A-lister canceled his reservation.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. An A-lister canceled his reservation.
Not necessarily. I brought my companion along on a trip a few weeks ago, she was A24, A22, and some higher A numbers. So it's certainly not out of the question checking in early enough gets a lower A number.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I don't think we can assume that they use an internal ranking system. I have seen some A-lites get in front of me. On one of my regular flights, there's a guy who's usually behind me but sometimes draws a BP ahead of me.
I've repeated this a dozen times or so (including a few posts up), but it bears repeating, I have a co-worker I travel with 20+ times per year on WN and he always has a higher boarding pass than me and the only difference between us is he flies more segments than I do. In your case maybe the person you are comparing to and yourself fly a very similar number of flights and that ranking position fluctuates based on recent travel and old travel dropping off.
Originally Posted by mke9499
Assuming it's an MKE flight there are two factors to consider, 1) loads may be light due to the newness of the service; and 2) folks in MKE may not be as familiar with the check-in process as the average WN customer.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I forgot to check in until T-8hrs, yet pulled A16 for BWI-MKE on the inagural flight. Thank you, Mr. or Mrs. A-lister who cancelled!!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I have a co-worker I travel with 20+ times per year on WN and he always has a higher boarding pass than me and the only difference between us is he flies more segments than I do.
I find confusion on this board in how people say "high" and "low" about boarding passes. In the title of this thread (which you gave nearly two years ago), it's clear that High means the higher (worse) number. In this sentence, are you saying that the co-worker who travels more gets a worse number? I think you must mean "higher ranking" but lower number. I've also seen things like "People who want to board together can board at the lower number." I guess people should say earlier, later, better, worse.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Assuming it's an MKE flight there are two factors to consider, 1) loads may be light due to the newness of the service; and 2) folks in MKE may not be as familiar with the check-in process as the average WN customer.
    • I was told that the flight is "wide open," so probably light load.
      • Flight booked in June

So, maybe it's just a matter of all stars aligning in their proper positions.

To make it even better, I am booked at the $35 inaugural promo fare.
      Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:32 pm
      nsx
      Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rove312
      I guess people should say earlier, later, better, worse.
      As in, board with your spouse "for better or for worse"?
      Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:15 pm
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
      I find confusion on this board in how people say "high" and "low" about boarding passes. In the title of this thread (which you gave nearly two years ago), it's clear that High means the higher (worse) number. In this sentence, are you saying that the co-worker who travels more gets a worse number? I think you must mean "higher ranking" but lower number. I've also seen things like "People who want to board together can board at the lower number." I guess people should say earlier, later, better, worse.
      You are quite right! I did mean lower number, "higher" boarding priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.