FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/779542-consolidated-disappointing-bp-position-thread.html)

Beckles Jan 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread

I'm sure others have gotten higher, but I was pretty shocked today when I printed my boarding pass for tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon's 3:40 PM flight MCI-STL and received A-36, so there are at least 21 A-Listers on my flight.

I'm not shocked that it is possible to received a number so high, but rather that it would occur on a Wednesday afternoon ...

Anyway, just thought it might be interesting to start a thread of where and when folks are getting high A-List boarding passes!

nsx Jan 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 9074863)
I'm sure others have gotten higher, but I was pretty shocked today when I printed my boarding pass for tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon's 3:40 PM flight MCI-STL and received A-36, so there are at least 21 A-Listers on my flight.

Note that all connecting A-listers, even those ranked lower than you, were checked in hours ahead of you and therefore got lower numbers.

Beckles Jan 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 9075119)
Note that all connecting A-listers, even those ranked lower than you, were checked in hours ahead of you and therefore got lower numbers.

Regardless, there's still 21 A-Listers on a Wednesday afternoon flight from MCI-STL.

Besides that, I'm not sure what basis we have for knowing that they check in A-Listers by departure time of the connecting flight, I'm pretty sure they run the A-List before any possible departure flight to ensure that A-Listers do in fact get higher boarding passes than connecting non-A-List passengers, and I'm not sure that the top criteria they would use in ordering the A-Listers would be time of departure for previous flights, since they're doing it before general check-in there is no reason they couldn't use another criteria.

flyerman770 Jan 15, 2008 4:43 pm

I used a RR ticket today at 5:30pm for a flight tommorow at 6:30pm (great availiablity at the last moment...)

My flight is DTW-BWI-ISP

I checked in at 6:32 today and got A-19 for the flight to Baltimore, and A-40 for the flight to ISP.

Its pretty impressive, no?

lrickets Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Not all #s b4 you mean they're A listers. I flew w/hubby on as a cp to LAS from HOU and mine was A26. A listers will always have an A boarding pass reserved for them, but I believe it's depending on when they check in for their boarding pass.

nsx Jan 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by lrickets (Post 9075627)
A listers will always have an A boarding pass reserved for them, but I believe it's depending on when they check in for their boarding pass.

Nope. The only way an A-lister will end up behind a non A-lister is if the reservation was made less than 36 hours before departure or if the original boarding pass was deleted.

tusphotog Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 9075886)
Nope. The only way an A-lister will end up behind a non A-lister is if the reservation was made less than 36 hours before departure or if the original boarding pass was deleted.

Not necessarily. Maybe my experience was a hiccup in the system, but back in November, the first flight I took as an A-lister (booked several months in advance), I was A-25. My CP, who flies WN at most six times a year, was A-17. Everyone I asked here in TUS was dumbfounded how she got in ahead of me.

No big deal since the flight was pretty light. Ever since then though I've been A-16 to A-20.

Nevada1K Jan 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 9076144)
...as an a-lister, I was A-25. My CP, who flies WN at most six times a year, was A-17. Everyone I asked here in TUS was dumbfounded how she got in ahead of me.

Isn't the most likely explanation that immediately prior to your wife checking in, another passenger -- who had originally been assigned A17 -- deleted their boarding pass/cancelled their flight, making A17 available for the next person to check in?

A year or two ago, before the current boarding system, I missed my scheduled LAX-LAS flight but discovered an earlier flight had been severely delayed and the agent reissued my boarding pass for the delayed flight. Although there were people waiting in the A, B and C lines, I received an A boarding pass. The agent's explanation: another pax had given up on the delayed flight and turned in their boarding pass and cancelled their reservation. I got their "A" boarding pass.

tusphotog Jan 16, 2008 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Nevada1K (Post 9077554)
Isn't the most likely explanation that immediately prior to your wife checking in, another passenger -- who had originally been assigned A17 -- deleted their boarding pass/cancelled their flight, making A17 available for the next person to check in?

I didn't think of that, but I'm not entirely sure that could happen. I think my dad got her checked in within a minute or two of OLCI opening up. If an A-lister has number A-16 assigned (about 36 hours from departure) and then cancels the BP before OLCI opens up, does the next A-lister move from A-17 to A-16 or does the first person who checks in get A-16, and the other A-list people keep their assigned numbers?

I know after OLCI, if an A-list person cancels a BP, their number goes to the next person checking in. But I'm not sure what happens before OLCI opens up...any ideas?

curbcrusher Jan 16, 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 9078025)
I didn't think of that, but I'm not entirely sure that could happen. I think my dad got her checked in within a minute or two of OLCI opening up. If an A-lister has number A-16 assigned (about 36 hours from departure) and then cancels the BP before OLCI opens up, does the next A-lister move from A-17 to A-16 or does the first person who checks in get A-16, and the other A-list people keep their assigned numbers?

It works the same as the cancellation of any other boarding position with the exception of Business Select. It goes to the next person to check in.

SAPMAN Jan 16, 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by curbcrusher (Post 9078573)
It works the same as the cancellation of any other boarding position with the exception of Business Select. It goes to the next person to check in.

curb, I am sure I have seen this, but now cannot recall.

When do the Busn Select seats get "released" -- an hour before departure. Or do they?

Do they then add more C numbers at the end for any BS seats not used (or the I think 15 "reserved" BS seats)?

Somehow, I realize, they need to be able to issue 137 BPs.

curbcrusher Jan 16, 2008 10:13 am

Business Select positions are never released to general availability, so it is possible to end up with a sequence number higher than 137.

mallthus Jan 17, 2008 10:07 am

And Explains the Following....

Originally Posted by curbcrusher (Post 9080009)
Business Select positions are never released to general availability, so it is possible to end up with a sequence number higher than 137.

I'm not an A-Lister (I only fly WN for one route), but I've been A1 on 5 of last 6 flights. The one time I didn't get A1, I was A2. :p

cxn Jan 18, 2008 11:34 am

Today, SJC - PHX. I am A-29. This puts about 14+ others originating out of SJC which are A-Listers.

As for how As get assigned, I believe it is done by booking time and NOT by fare paid. The rational would be, the later you book a flight, the more likely you would have paid a higher price. Here is what happened to me:

Book flight SJC _ SEA RT. Ding Fare comes up, instead of canceling 1 leg of the flight and re-using the tickets, I book a new SEA - SJC ticket about 1 week before thinking I will just cancel the other ticket after I fly the first leg.

Work gets in the way, get busy and forget to cancel. When I check the night before both seats where checked in.

First Flight booked (more expensive) A17
Second Flight booked, less than one week before (less expensive) A16

So I cancel A17, reuse the $$ on another ticket.

As with my A-29, I booked that a while ago which leads me to believe I was checked in later.

N808DE Jan 18, 2008 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher (Post 9080009)

If I have a Business Select fare, does it matter when I check in online? i.e. Can I check in say 12 hrs before the flight and still be in the early A group? I'm assuming so, but not sure since I've never bought this fare b4 today...