Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Disappointing A/A+ BP position" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N808DE
If I have a Business Select fare, does it matter when I check in online? i.e. Can I check in say 12 hrs before the flight and still be in the early A group? I'm assuming so, but not sure since I've never bought this fare b4 today...
Your boarding pass is assigned in the range of A1 through A15 before check-in even begins, doesn't matter when you check-in, it won't affect the boarding pass you receive and it won't be any lower than A15.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
I'm an A-Lister and the highest I have received is A25 but I have gotten it a couple times. One was a 5:40pm flight to SJC and the other was a 5:50 flight to PHX. I normally get an A16-18 on most flights.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: SW A-list, UA, US, AA, Choice Gold
Highest A-list BP I've gotten was A23, MDW-BDL on the Friday afternoon before Thansgiving. Flight was full (many were flying out to see the Harvard-Yale game).

I've also gotten A16 a couple of times--MDW-BWI, last flight of the evening, on weeknights during the winter. Those flights only had about 40 people each.

I've been assuming that A-list BP sequence is determined by number of flights. I had 40 paid flights last year--I was assuming that puts me toward the bottom of the A-list, but really don't know.

In any case, I love the A-list! It's great not to have to worry about the 24-hour checkin. My preferred seat is toward the rear of the aircraft, so I haven't had any trouble saving a seat for my CP (and I'm not taking up the exit row even on those occasions when I've been the first one on .
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by Beckles
Your boarding pass is assigned in the range of A1 through A15 before check-in even begins, doesn't matter when you check-in, it won't affect the boarding pass you receive and it won't be any lower than A15.
Thanks very much! Will make the return from Vegas in a couple of weeks a breeze without having to worry about checking in early.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:52 pm

I'm almost always somewhere between A-15 and A-19.

Worst I've ever had is A-21.

Judging by other A-Listers I travel with, I think Southwest has preferences within the A-List, and the sequence has nothing to do with when you booked your ticket.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Judging by other A-Listers I travel with, I think Southwest has preferences within the A-List, and the sequence has nothing to do with when you booked your ticket.
That is correct. There is a formula, but it hasn't been disclosed or figured out.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
That is correct. There is a formula, but it hasn't been disclosed or figured out.
It's based on the number of flights you have flown at the time of booking.

As for a data point, the other day I had A32 on my 0645 am SAN-SMF flight and A28 on my 0845 am SMF-PDX flight. I need to fly more, apparently.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It's based on the number of flights you have flown at the time of booking.
"...among other things." In other words, it hasn't been disclosed or figured out.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
"...among other things." In other words, it hasn't been disclosed or figured out.
I believe that the number of flights is the primary factor, as implied in the post you link, any other factors would only be tie-breakers beyond that. This is consistent with my experience of traveling with a co-worker who consistently gets higher boarding passes than me, I assume primarilly because of this.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I know this is getting very picky, but does anyone know how Business Select people are ordered? I bought my Business Select fare 48 hours in advance of a flight, and I checked in 24 hours in advance (habit) and received A01. There were at least 9 other BSers on the flight. I can't imagine I was first or last to book a BS ticket, did I just hit the BS lottery and get A01? On another flight I checked in at the airport on a business select and got A03 -- which was the last BS fare on that flight.

So I do think in Business Select the order depends on when you check in in the 24 hour window.... Again, I know the difference between 1 and 15 is not that big but just my experience
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Got A-36 on a Thursday evening DTW-MDW flight ... BS looked pretty much full too.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Friday 1:00 PM PHX-ABQ got A-22, that is highest I ever got and have already requalifed A-List ! What's up? the A-21 guy in front of me said he just qualified for A-list in March '08. I was A-List from the start and have already requalified, yet the guy in front just qualified..............

Does anyone have a speculation on how the BP are allocated for A-list? If previous speculation was BIS that one doesn't hold water based upon yesterday. I am beginning to think it is based on Last name (mine is W). I have an A-16 maybe twice since November.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loboclone
Friday 1:00 PM PHX-ABQ got A-22, that is highest I ever got and have already requalifed A-List ! What's up? the A-21 guy in front of me said he just qualified for A-list in March '08. I was A-List from the start and have already requalified, yet the guy in front just qualified..............

Does anyone have a speculation on how the BP are allocated for A-list? If previous speculation was BIS that one doesn't hold water based upon yesterday. I am beginning to think it is based on Last name (mine is W). I have an A-16 maybe twice since November.
I fly a lot of trips with a co-worker who also has A-List status, the primary difference between us is that he flies more paid flights on WN than I do, we are usually flying on the same price tickets, and he consistently gets higher boarding passes than me. On the flight where I was A-36 he was A-27 or something like that. In that case, we were both on award tickets, which I had wondered if it might push us both to the bottom of the list, but apparently not.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
I fly a lot of trips with a co-worker who also has A-List status, the primary difference between us is that he flies more paid flights on WN than I do, we are usually flying on the same price tickets, and he consistently gets higher boarding passes than me. On the flight where I was A-36 he was A-27 or something like that. In that case, we were both on award tickets, which I had wondered if it might push us both to the bottom of the list, but apparently not.
I have flown an award flight once since A-list started, I had a A-17. I am always on a paid ticket. What is A-list based upon?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by loboclone
I have flown an award flight once since A-list started, I had a A-17. I am always on a paid ticket. What is A-list based upon?
A-list qualification is 32 paid flights within a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.