Wiki Posts
Search

Flight information on website

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Flight information on website

I know there have been discussions about the flight information on the website, but one of my pet peeves is that after a flight has arrived, it no longer posts any times. You cannot find out if the flight was on time or early or late. I wish they would change that. If they can post times before departure and during the flight, they could certainly post the times after it arrived.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I know there have been discussions about the flight information on the website, but one of my pet peeves is that after a flight has arrived, it no longer posts any times. You cannot find out if the flight was on time or early or late. I wish they would change that. If they can post times before departure and during the flight, they could certainly post the times after it arrived.
All those late flights... gotta erase the evidence. Hah hah.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Go to: http://flightaware.com/ and you can get 4 months of flight info on any scheduled flight.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
All those late flights... gotta erase the evidence. Hah hah.
What an asinine comment.

As lougord99 noted, flightaware.com works for this purpose.

More detailed, historical data is available at the Bureau of Transportation Statistics:

http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...me_statistics/
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
What an asinine comment.[/url]
Really? Can you think of any other reason why Southwest is the only airline that deletes departure time information once the flight departs, and deletes arrival time information once the flight arrives? Not to mention that they're the only airline that won't show you departure/arrival information from the previous day.

While the tone of MikeyZBT's comment was silly, the allegation itself is backed by rather strong circumstantial evidence (see previous paragraph).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Really? Can you think of any other reason why Southwest is the only airline that deletes departure time information once the flight departs, and deletes arrival time information once the flight arrives?
Yes, really. The fact that the actual departure and arrival times disappear for whatever reason doesn't hide late flights. All of that data is still reported to the DOT and used to formulate the monthly rankings.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
What an asinine comment.

As lougord99 noted, flightaware.com works for this purpose.

More detailed, historical data is available at the Bureau of Transportation Statistics:

http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...me_statistics/
Woah there, big fella. Did I strike a nerve? A bit close to home are we, huh?

Clearly I was messing around... but with a response like that, I have to give it more thought.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:48 pm

Yes, really. The fact that the actual departure and arrival times disappear for whatever reason doesn't hide late flights. All of that data is still reported to the DOT and used to formulate the monthly rankings.
To be honest, it hides the data from Joe Consumer who does know about or have the time to search the DOT for records data.

I can't believe we are actually discussing this. You know, CURBCRUSHER, this was probably a dead issue if you didn't react to harshly.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:23 am

To be honest, it hides the data from Joe Consumer who does know about or have the time to search the DOT for records data.

I can't believe we are actually discussing this. You know, CURBCRUSHER, this was probably a dead issue if you didn't react to harshly.
Fair enough.

I agree that the disappearance of actual departure/arrival times is a failing of the website, but after the flight has arrived, how does it really matter? Whether the flight departed or arrived 30 minutes late is a moot point post-arrival unless you're trying to replicate the DOT's work.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
after the flight has arrived, how does it really matter?
Yes, if it's the airplane you plan to take arriving at an upstream airport. You'd like to know how many minutes behind it was, because that's close to how many minutes late your flight will be.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Yes, if it's the airplane you plan to take arriving at an upstream airport. You'd like to know how many minutes behind it was, because that's close to how many minutes late your flight will be.
@:-) @:-) @:-)
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
But, why would you use the info on the SWA website, which may or may not be as accurate as the monitors in the airport (not very ) when you have very accurate info at flightaware.com
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Exactly.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
But, why would you use the info on the SWA website, which may or may not be as accurate as the monitors in the airport (not very ) when you have very accurate info at flightaware.com
We are not comparing SWA.COM vs flightaware.com. It is just interesting that Southwest doesn't keep their data on the site after the flight is completed, where nearly ALL other airlines do. Most of the other airlines also keep data for the day before as well.

Also, "usually" the airline's website is more accurate than the airport screens. (well, not southwest's website, but other airlines' sites)
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:30 pm

We are not comparing SWA.COM vs flightaware.com.
No, we are not. But you are chastising SWA for not keeping the data and I say there is no reason for them to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.