Wiki Posts
Search

Dinged for a sold out X-mas flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinged for a sold out X-mas flight

Very strange Ding today: Dec 23 only, $34 from PHL to PBI on the morning nonstop only (flt. 3421). Too good to be true, right -- the Saturday before X-mas.

Indeed it is. The flight is almost completely sold out, with only the highest fare bucket available. Nobody's going to be flying that day for $34. I wonder what gives. Must be some programming glitch.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now it's just mean -- they're dinging it again today.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Now it's just mean -- they're dinging it again today.
What are you talking about? That flight is available for me for up to 8 people at the $34 fare.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stangbuilder66
What are you talking about? That flight is available for me for up to 8 people at the $34 fare.
Not sure how that would be possible. I checked it a few times (dinged again today!) and no Ding seats were available. As I said, only the highest bucket was being sold.

And it would defy logic (and all probabilities) for cheap nonstop seats from Philly to W. Palm Beach to be available the Sat. morning before X-mas. US' one-way fares that day are over $400, and nobody even has a 1-stop fare below $300 (other than WN's $218+ tax fare).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:38 am

Not sure how that would be possible. I checked it a few times (dinged again today!) and no Ding seats were available. As I said, only the highest bucket was being sold.

And it would defy logic (and all probabilities) for cheap nonstop seats from Philly to W. Palm Beach to be available the Sat. morning before X-mas. US' one-way fares that day are over $400, and nobody even has a 1-stop fare below $300 (other than WN's $218+ tax fare).
Well I have no reason to lie, but I clicked on the PHL ding and that flight came up for $34 that one direction. The others were full, but it was available. I am sorry if you find that hard to believe, but before saying that it isn't available you should actually check. It WAS available. We'll see this morning if it is available again.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stangbuilder66
Well I have no reason to lie, but I clicked on the PHL ding and that flight came up for $34 that one direction. The others were full, but it was available. I am sorry if you find that hard to believe, but before saying that it isn't available you should actually check. It WAS available. We'll see this morning if it is available again.
I don't think you're lying, but I checked it each time the offer was made and no seats were available. You didn't actually book it, right?

As I said, it would be extremely improbable that WN would want to sell $34 seats to Florida on the Saturday before X-mas.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:54 pm

I don't think you're lying, but I checked it each time the offer was made and no seats were available. You didn't actually book it, right?

As I said, it would be extremely improbable that WN would want to sell $34 seats to Florida on the Saturday before X-mas.
Try it again. I just added PHL to my DING registration to see what would happen and the 7:30 am flight is there and available for $34. $44.30 with tax and fees.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pattybin
Try it again. I just added PHL to my DING registration to see what would happen and the 7:30 am flight is there and available for $34. $44.30 with tax and fees.
Yes! It is very bookable on today's Ding. Very strange. Are they doing this in other markets?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
Could it be that as folks change their reservations WN loads those seats back into Ding?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It keeps popping up and is very bookable now.

The strangest Ding fare I've ever seen.

Logic would say that there are a lot of folks paying a lot more to fly to Florida that day. I guess the change fees prevent folks from switching over to that WN flight.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:51 am

It keeps popping up and is very bookable now.

The strangest Ding fare I've ever seen.

Logic would say that there are a lot of folks paying a lot more to fly to Florida that day. I guess the change fees prevent folks from switching over to that WN flight.
IAHPHX, what change fees are you talking about? If someone wants to move to the cheaper flight and open a seat on the full flight that will fill back up at full fare, let em.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Change fees apply if you bought a ticket from another airline and then saw the Ding sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.