Wiki Posts
Search

DING! format has changed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
DING! format has changed

The offer page has changed. Now you are presented with a complete list, separated by city, instead of the old everything-is-jumbled-together list. The filter then shows only the city you select, and only flights from the selected city. When you select a particular offer, you are then taken to another screen to select round trip or one-way, number of pax and dates.

Welcome changes, IMO. This is much easier to read and navigate.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:44 am

Hasn't it been like that for a while?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:53 am

As far as I know, it's always been that way.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The offer page has changed. Now you are presented with a complete list, separated by city, instead of the old everything-is-jumbled-together list. The filter then shows only the city you select, and only flights from the selected city. When you select a particular offer, you are then taken to another screen to select round trip or one-way, number of pax and dates.

Welcome changes, IMO. This is much easier to read and navigate.
Nice changes! Much nicer than the previous way. ^
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skoker
Hasn't it been like that for a while?
No. The change occurred this morning. I realize I'm probably not effectively describing the changes.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
One other thing of note: the offers only show Ding! fares from the city of interest.

For example, if you have put MDW and not CLE, MDW-CLE fares will be shown, but not CLE-MDW. For that, you'd have to look on the flights page (as part of a roundtrip, for example). It also could foul up same-day Ding! specials, because these would have to be booked roundtrip (which eliminates the opportunity to check in for both flights online) unless you want to make changes to your city list.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gmax58
One other thing of note: the offers only show Ding! fares from the city of interest.

For example, if you have put MDW and not CLE, MDW-CLE fares will be shown, but not CLE-MDW. For that, you'd have to look on the flights page (as part of a roundtrip, for example). It also could foul up same-day Ding! specials, because these would have to be booked roundtrip (which eliminates the opportunity to check in for both flights online) unless you want to make changes to your city list.
Good catch, and that change is not favorable. However, you can now DING! your way into the reservation system (select an offer and move forward with either a round trip or one-way booking), back out by clicking "PLAN TRIP" and book the one-way in reverse, or even take advantage of offers not in your ten-city list. For example, using this technique I am able to book the current LIT-AUS offer. Neither city is part of my list.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:06 pm

You can check-in for a same-day return 24 hours before the return flight (that's a change from how it used to be). Still, booking one-ways is good for better flexibility including a lower fare turning up after booking. If we see a good DING fare, can we add the destination to our airports and have the return bookable as a one-way right away?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
If we see a good DING fare, can we add the destination to our airports and have the return bookable as a one-way right away?
How about trying it?, I ask myself. I added a city, clicked the DING message again, and the new city's offers were included.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:27 am

Good catch, and that change is not favorable. However, you can now DING! your way into the reservation system (select an offer and move forward with either a round trip or one-way booking), back out by clicking "PLAN TRIP" and book the one-way in reverse, or even take advantage of offers not in your ten-city list. For example, using this technique I am able to book the current LIT-AUS offer. Neither city is part of my list.
Thanks so much for this tip. It just helped me book one-way from ONT to HOU when HOU wasn't listed under the ONT Ding, but ONT was listed under HOU. Hope this makes sense. Does this mean that there could be "hidden" Dings? For example, if I had only listed ONT as one of my airports, then I wouldn't have known that I could book a Ding special from ONT to HOU. I wonder if I've missed some Ding opportunities. Has anyone else seen this? If I'm even making sense!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by rove312
How about trying it?, I ask myself. I added a city, clicked the DING message again, and the new city's offers were included.
I tried this, and the new city's offers were included, but they didn't list the airport pair that I was looking for! See my post above for details.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mareed
Thanks so much for this tip. It just helped me book one-way from ONT to HOU when HOU wasn't listed under the ONT Ding, but ONT was listed under HOU. Hope this makes sense. Does this mean that there could be "hidden" Dings? For example, if I had only listed ONT as one of my airports, then I wouldn't have known that I could book a Ding special from ONT to HOU. I wonder if I've missed some Ding opportunities. Has anyone else seen this? If I'm even making sense!
I just confirmed what you saw. I'm not sure it's a hidden DING! in the traditional sense (that being the advertised fare is, for example, $88, but when you click through it's actually $44). I think someone at WN made a boo boo (Happy Halloween, btw ).
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:38 am

I just confirmed what you saw. I'm not sure it's a hidden DING! in the traditional sense (that being the advertised fare is, for example, $88, but when you click through it's actually $44). I think someone at WN made a boo boo (Happy Halloween, btw ).
Thanks for confirming it! I thought I was seeing things.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
you can now DING! your way into the reservation system (select an offer and move forward with either a round trip or one-way booking), back out by clicking "PLAN TRIP" and book the one-way in reverse, or even take advantage of offers not in your ten-city list.
This is a terrific trick. I just found an OAK-FLL Ding fare that was not on the advertised list. I also learned that if you select a city pair for which there is no Ding fare, you get the error message "Currently unable to get itinerary information."
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
nice changes and nice finings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.