Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest testing changes to A/B/C boarding process at SAN (but not assigned seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest testing changes to A/B/C boarding process at SAN (but not assigned seats)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold

Does anyone have details on this? The article is very content-free. But this is apparently a new set of tests that will keep the "open seating" policy but try different parameters like more boarding groups.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.2dd5162.html

[...]

The Dallas-based carrier plans to launch a series of boarding tests Monday that will look at different ways to organize passengers in the gate area, including using more groups of fewer people.

[...]

Like the testing on assigned seats, the latest boarding experiments will be limited to flights from San Diego. The carrier is using its San Diego base because it has two gates that are isolated from the others and won't interfere with other operations, Ms. Harbin said.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by justageek
Does anyone have details on this? The article is very content-free. But this is apparently a new set of tests that will keep the "open seating" policy but try different parameters like more boarding groups.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.2dd5162.html

[...]

The Dallas-based carrier plans to launch a series of boarding tests Monday that will look at different ways to organize passengers in the gate area, including using more groups of fewer people.

[...]

Like the testing on assigned seats, the latest boarding experiments will be limited to flights from San Diego. The carrier is using its San Diego base because it has two gates that are isolated from the others and won't interfere with other operations, Ms. Harbin said.
Good grief! Poor San Diegoans (sp?) they have to endure ALL the testing!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:54 pm

Just 'San Diegans'.

The article said 'average 25 minute turn time'. Average? I've never seen anything quicker, and I've seen longer.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kjkeys88
Just 'San Diegans'.

The article said 'average 25 minute turn time'. Average? I've never seen anything quicker, and I've seen longer.
Fair enough ! I was CLOSE!

I agree with you on the 25 minutes. It's no longer realistic for the totally full flights, although I've noticed that they seem to pad the flight times to allow for a 10-15 minute longer turn time. It seems to take at least 12 minutes to deplane a full aircraft. Then, they need about 7 minutes to clean and prepare the aircraft. Then, it takes about 15 minutes to board a full airplane. That's 34 minutes in a very reasonable, normal scenario.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If they would just use the back door, they could easily shave 5 minutes off both boarding and deplaning. With all the technology in this world, I would think someone would have figured out a way to do this by now. Maybe they have and just don't think it is cost effective.

I've heard of an overwing jetway being tested on several occasions but nothing ever seems to come of it. Also, giving people the option of walking across the tarmack doesn't seem to be something they want to offer.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
If they would just use the back door, they could easily shave 5 minutes off both boarding and deplaning. With all the technology in this world, I would think someone would have figured out a way to do this by now. Maybe they have and just don't think it is cost effective.

I've heard of an overwing jetway being tested on several occasions but nothing ever seems to come of it. Also, giving people the option of walking across the tarmack doesn't seem to be something they want to offer.
I think an on-the-tarmac solution is a non-starter for most airlines because they would need extra staff to direct pax on the tarmac, for safety and security reasons.

As you mentioned, various airlines (I believe Southwest included) have experimented with dual jetways but for whatever reason they don't seem very popular.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:11 pm

Dual Jetbridge

This contraption was tested at one gate each in AUS and DAL, installed on the gates normally used for AUS/DAL/AUS flights. I think it was about the year 2000. Swedish or Danish design, same technology used for cruise ship boarding systems. Laser guided, auto docking, etc. I thought it was pretty popular. JetBlue and others were interested but SWA had an exclusive for five years or so.

A finance type for SWA told me at the time it would pay for it self if they could just same "delay" minutes. Then came 9/11, and after that -- winglets.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they would just use the back door, they could easily shave 5 minutes off both boarding and deplaning. With all the technology in this world, I would think someone would have figured out a way to do this by now.
They have: It's called Burbank!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
Loooooong time ago, first class (not applicable to SWA) boarded from the front door and economy class from the rear door.

AS boards their MD80s (URGH....) in BOI from both the front and back.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
United Airlines is testing a dual jetway with a bridge that goes over the wing to the rear door. See story, including video at:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_250161457.html

However, I think the cost is upward of $1 million/gate, so I don't know that saving 5-10 minutes is worth it, even when you consider the interest on an airplane on a per-minute basis.

I flew out of Denver using one of these dual bridge jetways, but I was in the front half of the plane, so it didn't make much difference to me.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FCfree
United Airlines is testing a dual jetway with a bridge that goes over the wing to the rear door. See story, including video at:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_250161457.html

However, I think the cost is upward of $1 million/gate, so I don't know that saving 5-10 minutes is worth it, even when you consider the interest on an airplane on a per-minute basis.
And even if it is worth it sometimes, it's probably only practical at a major hub gate (where it'll get the most use out of itself). Which makes it probably more suitable to a legacy with only a few hubs than for Southwest with its focus on point-to-point.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:08 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And even if it is worth it sometimes, it's probably only practical at a major hub gate (where it'll get the most use out of itself). Which makes it probably more suitable to a legacy with only a few hubs than for Southwest with its focus on point-to-point.
Au contraire. Southwest uses its gates MUCH more than legacy carriers. There always seems to be a plane arriving or leaving. Compare that to legacies where you often see a plane just sitting there empty at the gate or no plane at all for an extended period.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Hertz 5*, Priority Club Gold, US
Question

Has anyone particpated in this experiment yet? I was wondering exactly what they were doing in SAN?

Bob
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:04 pm

SW experimented with a Y shaped jetway which allowed them to board from the front and back of the plane.

You can do a search, I don't remember why it didn't work out. I don't think the time saved was enough to allow gates and or planes to run an extra daily flight.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwmiller
Has anyone particpated in this experiment yet? I was wondering exactly what they were doing in SAN?

Bob
See the first post in this thread for one thing they are trying.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616689

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.