Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That sucks! Why don't they extend it through Sunday, May 10th? Granted, I am even more upset because I have to take a Wednesday, May 6th to Sunday, May 10th trip. But, in all seriousness, this is pretty stupid of Southwest. Why extend it to a Friday and not Sunday? Most people buying tickets that start on Friday, are flying back on Sunday!!! Hello?!?!
You guys know I am right. I know it pains you to think it, but yes, I am. It makes A LOT more sense for Southwest to extend their calendar through a Sunday, not a Friday.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
You guys know I am right. I know it pains you to think it, but yes, I am. It makes A LOT more sense for Southwest to extend their calendar through a Sunday, not a Friday.
But then if they extend it through a Sunday, we can pretty much expect those people who leave on Sun or Mon and typically come back on Fri to be whining about it.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
But then if they extend it through a Sunday, we can pretty much expect those people who leave on Sun or Mon and typically come back on Fri to be whining about it.
^^^
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Um, I am not talking about the Monday to Friday people (of which most of the business travelers are), I am just talking about Sunday. Honestly, if you look at the totals (not sure how to do this), I am sure that Southwest gets a LOT more business from Friday-Sunday weekenders and Monday-Friday Business travelers. Not many Sunday-Friday business people.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It makes A LOT more sense for Southwest to extend their calendar through a Sunday, not a Friday.
Yes it does, from the customer's point of view. Therefore Southwest must have other reasons for this particular cutoff date.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Yes it does, from the customer's point of view. Therefore Southwest must have other reasons for this particular cutoff date.
Totally agree that they do. I am just expressing my aggravation over it.

The same way so many people give the ^ on so many issues. I feel to give this a big .
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Um, I am not talking about the Monday to Friday people (of which most of the business travelers are), I am just talking about Sunday. Honestly, if you look at the totals (not sure how to do this), I am sure that Southwest gets a LOT more business from Friday-Sunday weekenders and Monday-Friday Business travelers. Not many Sunday-Friday business people.
Um...I was talking about people who come back on Fridays. When they leave is immaterial in regards to what day of week WN cuts off their schedule.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: Worldperks Silver, Dividend Miles Silver, Rapid Rewards
Summer Schedule Release date?

Any idea when the schedule for May 8th forward will be released? And any vets out there what kind of success rate have you had for redeeming RRs Memorial weekend or the week after either going into BUF or leaving MCO.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:57 pm

December 9th the schedule will open up for flights thru June 28

http://southwest.com/hotfares/?ref=spcofrs_gn
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by theacendahole
December 9th the schedule will open up for flights thru June 28

http://southwest.com/hotfares/?ref=spcofrs_gn
Well spotted, sir!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

A hotfares page was also the first reported sighting of an estimated schedule extension date last time around. The initial estimate was 20-Nov; that was later revised to 06-Nov. IIRC, it took a week or couple for any estimate to appear on the travel tools page. So for at least two extensions in a row the estimate updates have not been posted simultaneously. Is there some sort of reliability "pecking order" for when and where the estimates are dribbled out, or some other explanation for the updates being out of synch?

I don't know whether any of the southwest.com folks handle the updates at The Mark Travel Corporation's swavactions.com, but that's another place to monitor for schedule horizon news. Speaking of which, for a grin have a go at parsing this update that I noticed on swavactions.com back in June:
Now accepting reservations through October 30, 2008. On January 9, 2009, we plan to open the schedule for purchase through June 26, 2008.
I sent them an Email and received what seemed to be a canned reply, but they did correct the error within a couple days.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Last year I redeemed for travel to LAS over Memorial Day without any trouble at the window opening.

However, I am not optimistic this window opening. On the last window, there were no seats available over Good Friday. The window before that, right before Christmas. Since I've had Companion Pass for about a year and always book right at the window, its very evident that Southwest has tightened award availability considerably.

I hope I'm wrong. But I know I'm waiting till Dec 9 to see if its true. If I can book an award over Memorial Day on Dec 9, I'll start the process to get credits for renewing my Companion Pass the next day. Otherwise, I guess its back to AA and go for 2MM status instead which in a lot of ways is very similar (status based on total points/miles earned rather than actual flying). It's a little maddening since Southwest is selling the seats at the exact same price on these holidays as every other day -- so its not an obvious fare bucket to award availability thing.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:52 pm

I'm really banking on getting tickets for either memorial day or the monday after.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:45 am

I think I remember noticing awfully close to the last extension date that theTravel Tools page had not been updated with the "next schedule extension" information. It looks like the hotfares page should now be the first place to look. It currently says:
On January 29, we will open our schedule for sale through August 14, 2009.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:47 pm

Wiki FAQ has been updated with a list of eight places to monitor for schedule horizon announcements (one of the eight being this thread).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.