Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

NEWS: FlyerTalk input leads to two-year extention for RR credits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWS: FlyerTalk input leads to two-year extention for RR credits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:39 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Originally Posted by PT737SWA
Many of you are making some seriously pessimistic assumptions about the seat limitations. We need to give it time to see how it all pans out. And if you don't like it, let them hear from you.

Rapid Rewards: 800-445-5764
=======
I have a concurrent suggestion PT737SWA - let BANK ONE hear about this if you also charge on the RR/affinity credit card.

My hunch is Bank One will be sick when they see their volume taper off because of this. When I tell BO my annual charge volume is about to drop to zilch from what it has been, I assume they will be interested. No, not in my isolated case, but if they believe it will be widespread, who knows ?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
A thought just occurred to me. With the Feb/06 timing, it makes sense to get (or keep) as many pre-Feb RRs as possible, for use in future. For, even if you have to pay 50 bucks to extend one another year, they will not have seat controls on them.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by DallasBill
A thought just occurred to me. With the Feb/06 timing, it makes sense to get (or keep) as many pre-Feb RRs as possible, for use in future. For, even if you have to pay 50 bucks to extend one another year, they will not have seat controls on them.
Good call, Bill! ^
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:57 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the effect of the announcement is this:

You now have 24 months to earn an Award;

Your Award, once obtained, is still only valid for one year;

Your Award, if obtained before February 2006, has no seat restrictions but does have black-out dates; and

Your Award, if obtained after February 2006, has no-black out dates but does have seat restrictions.

Hummmm. Now, how exactly do these changes benefit SW's frequent flyers?

Anyone? Anyone?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:00 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
SWA - guess what - you just took the wind out of my [personal] support for ending Wright Amendment.

Seems now you want to mess around w/ RR when the ending of W.A. could have been a huge boon for travelers in this region of Texas. I had been pulling for you, quite vocally in fact at my local bagel shop (you know - where we solve the problems of the world ), to win the fight.

Now, since cap controls means I likely can't fly my family on a trip, I find myself less interested in Wright Amendment going away.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:01 pm

Not happy about the capacity control, but I'm sure the 24 month expiration is a welcome addition to those like my parents who don't fly very often.

As for me, it's also a little bit better, I'd like to be able to "save up" for a family of 4 to fly free somewhere on a vacation. I earn about 2 - 3 free trips a year thru SW Visa, Hotel stays, and WN travel. What I have been doing is "swapping" my expiring ticket with friend(s) who will be traveling in the next month. This way I get to extend the life of my free tickets. However, when it comes to booking, it is now a hassle, as I have to get my friend to book my spouse's or kids ticket.

Now I can save up my tickets and if is not last minute travel, it does not hurt me all that much.

Just a little different perspective from a loyal WN customer who has been CP in the past, but now does not do as much travel. I probably fit the profile of the vast majority of their customers and not the Elitists on this board.

Prosit!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Originally Posted by beerman
If Southwest is going to issue capacity controls on their awards, then the fair thing to do might be to allow an award once earned by getting 16 credits to NEVER expire. If they want to be like other airlines, then allow them to expire if you haven't earned any credits in the last three years.

no kidding, with this ridiculous change, it will like mean no chance of using those RR tickets once accumulated since you only get one year to do so.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Hummmm. Now, how exactly do these changes benefit SW's frequent flyers?

Anyone? Anyone?
It will benefit the folks who travel less than the enlightned ones on this board.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by rc408
Me reading this artice:
My feelings exactly! I haven't posted or lurked here in a long time but after getting this email, the first thing I did was come here! I'm pissed!

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
1/1/04 -----> Loss of Double Credit
4/1/05 -----> Loss of 50% bonus credit
8/10/05 ---> THIS FURTHER JOKE OF A DEVALUATION!!!!
This REALLY sucks!!! Rapid Rewards *WAS* an awesome program for several reasons, not limited to:
- Being able to earn a free ticket after only 4 RTs (Too bad that once Southwest succeeded in getting their customers to purchase online, they pulled this benefit).
- No capacity controls, limited blackout dates (It was easy to know what your free ticket entitled you to - IT WAS WRITTEN ON THE AWARD). Now, it's just like any other major airline's awards. It's too complicated to even discuss.. YUCK!!
- Easily transferable (Not so anymore...)

This used to be such a great program! This was the first FF program I was a part of. When I started flying other carriers and joined their programs, I was amazed at how complicated it was to redeem awards there. I couldn't believe it when I came across the AA board here on FT and saw that people just accepted that your award would come with all kinds of limitations. That was just crazy! Then I realized that was actually the norm and that Southwest was doing things differently. How cool was that?! Apparently it was too good to last.

Southwest has had happy employees, customers, and shareholders for a long time. Changes to Rapid Rewards over the last 18 months have been for the benefit of shareholders and at the expense of customers. How much more can they take away from the customers? What's next? Will they then start taking from the employees?

Over the last 18 months, enthusiasm for Southwest must have been going downhill. Have they measured that? Do they care?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
=======
I have a concurrent suggestion PT737SWA - let BANK ONE hear about this if you also charge on the RR/affinity credit card.

My hunch is Bank One will be sick when they see their volume taper off because of this. When I tell BO my annual charge volume is about to drop to zilch from what it has been, I assume they will be interested. No, not in my isolated case, but if they believe it will be widespread, who knows ?
I will probably be cancelling mine when it renews next year - about the time these new rules go in to effect - only got it for the RR points - which will then be pointless
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Bandit
Over the last 18 months, enthusiasm for Southwest must have been going downhill. Have they measured that? Do they care?
That's hard to prove with the all-time record loads they got last month. I'd call that a measurement.

Last edited by PT737SWA; Aug 10, 2005 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:15 pm
CruiseOne2003

Rapid Reward Change

I opened my email and saw Southwest has some RR news for me. I was ok with extending my awards for a year even though I earn enough points that I am not in any danger of losing any. I was ok with no blackout dates but the one that got me was the seat restrictions. One of the MAJOR reasons I love SW and tell everyone about them is the fact I can get a seat on a flight using an award whenever I want to go. If it's available, it's mine! I'm not through with SW just yet however, it will depend on how difficult will it become to book a flight using an award. I have miles sitting in my UA account that I have not been able to use to 4 different destinations in the U.S. booking anywhere from 1 - 6 months in advance. How frustrating is that? Southwest, if you are listening out there, please don't turn into another UA making my RR points worthless!

Only time will tell.

Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:17 pm

Show me a single post in flyertalk that favored adding capacity controls. I can see SW trying to put a positive spin on this but you should know better. I don't know which is worse, you trying to con us or SW succeeding in conning you.

This is a horrible change. The best use of a RR ticket is a peak flight. No reason to use a RR ticket if deeply discounted seats are available on the flight.

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I just got off the phone with Southwest discussing the following news and the discussion was such that a lot of the credit for the two-year expiring credits came from input in this forum. That is a powerful statement from SWA. Your voice is being heard, congratulations.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
SWA - guess what - you just took the wind out of my [personal] support for ending Wright Amendment.

Seems now you want to mess around w/ RR when the ending of W.A. could have been a huge boon for travelers in this region of Texas. I had been pulling for you, quite vocally in fact at my local bagel shop (you know - where we solve the problems of the world ), to win the fight.

Now, since cap controls means I likely can't fly my family on a trip, I find myself less interested in Wright Amendment going away.
Excellent point. ^

You have to wonder what SW executives were thinking--that somehow reducing the benefit of RR would translate into increased support for repealing WA from their most FF's??? It is impossible to do both successfully.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy GE
I'd like to see the percentage of RR members who actually lose mroe than 8 credits because of the 12mo earning window.

I say 8 credits because you would really only want to count the people who are making an effort. The extremely casual traveler who flies 1-2 a year might have a RR account but not really care about pumping it up, etc.

As many have said - why didn't they for some input from RR members regarding this change???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.