Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using suitcases to reserve spot in line okay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Flew from OAK-BWI recently and was unhappy to see people using their carry-on bags to "stand" in line (while they sat in the chairs). It wasn't clear who owned each bag, and undoubtedly the gate agents would have had no idea if asked. Keep in mind that about every 5 minutes the Oakland airport plays a pre-recorded message that "due to heightened security" there should be no unattended bags. This was a first experience flying Southwest, is it common to allow this? And, yes, those 7 people showed up once the line formed and declared that they were all in line. That aside, it bothers me when some policies are enforced (taking off shoes, etc.) while other security policies are ignored...
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:22 am

That's pretty typical system wide. If I get there early, I simply walk up, have a seat on the floor WITH my bag and lean against the pole or wall, pull out my book or laptop, and go about my business. That usually gets the rest of the line into some sort of order.

Generally, the airline staff doesn't pay any attention, but I've seen some pretty interesting arguments among travelers whom I'm guessing didn't sit that close together once boarded. I also like to see how line jumpers are handled by passengers; e.g., the 'A' group is called, and all of a sudden three or four self absorbed people appear at an adjacent or pre-boarding line with 'A' cards fully expecting to 'blend in' with the 'A' groupers who have actually been standing in line.

That certainly provides some entertainment in an otherwise mundane wait.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:26 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by pnut
Flew from OAK-BWI recently and was unhappy to see people using their carry-on bags to "stand" in line (while they sat in the chairs).
I've witnessed this once, but it was only one jerk and not seven, so I left him alone.

Next time either alert the GA or security that there are unattended bags, or just move the bags. What are they going to do, fight you?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
This is a funny topic, and I've wondered what other people thought about this. I've witnessed both: people using their bags to hold their place in line, and people coming from the side trying to "blend in" to the front of the line. I usually am not bothered by these, but if I'm in a particularly feisty mood, I just act cheerfully unaware. I've "ignored" the people trying to blend in and walked past them, and I've also gotten in line in FRONT of the bags, figuring if anyone said anything I'd just say, "I didn't realize you were in line -- I thought these were just sitting there." (Nobody said anything. In fact, other people got behind me, in front of the bag.)

I guess if you really wanted to be difficult, you could call airport security and mention the unattended bag. Although I really did see an unattended bag in SAN once, and when I contacted security they didn't seem like they knew what to do...

And pnut, you're right -- many policies are inconsistently enforced.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:02 am

not ok with me

People wait in line not luggage.

I got yelled at by security when I was moving my luggage in the check in line. I said the luggage was within sight and was told it had to be with in reach. I was moving one bag a few feet in line and then going back to get the other bag.

I complained to a SW employee regarding the luggage in line. They didn't have a problem until I said I was going to pick up the phone and call security regarding the "unattended luggage". I told them security told me my bags had to be with an arms length and that clearly wasn't the case here. At that point they made people get their bags.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K
Good for you.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:47 pm

Programs: HHSilver;SWACompanion;AA;CO
Angry Definitely NOT OK!

I have no hesitation about stepping in front of "abandoned luggage".

On the other hand, we travel as a family of 3, often leaving CLE on a very early flight--7:15 a.m. I usally leave hubby & son with luggage in A line while I go to grab breakfast. I return to stay with luggage while they sit & eat and they take over luggage watch while I eat. I've had some snippity people make snide comments when we all three get back together in line, (although, if they thought about it, they'd actually seen all three of us in the same spot at one time or another during the wait) but I think it's just because they're.....HUNGRY!

As to those people who try to "blend in"--I put my suitcase on the side of me where they are standing and I make certain that they DON'T get in front of me. I will often say, " Sorry, the line ends way back there...."

I have a bad right ankle and standing for long periods of time can really aggravate it to the point where it swells pretty badly. Several times I have been sitting on a seat in the waiting area right where the A line is formed. Usually, my husband is standing in line right in front of me. The last time I flew, I had a man get really upset with me when I stood up to follow my husband as the line began to move. "I didn't know that YOU were in line. I don't think that SITTING there qualifies as 'being in line'..." Thought my husband was going to kill the guy! Some people are ALWAYS looking for a problem where there isn't one!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond; HHonors-Silver, Marriott- Gold
Originally Posted by swaluvr
I have no hesitation about stepping in front of "abandoned luggage".

On the other hand, we travel as a family of 3, often leaving CLE on a very early flight--7:15 a.m. I usally leave hubby & son with luggage in A line while I go to grab breakfast. I return to stay with luggage while they sit & eat and they take over luggage watch while I eat. I've had some snippity people make snide comments when we all three get back together in line, (although, if they thought about it, they'd actually seen all three of us in the same spot at one time or another during the wait) but I think it's just because they're.....HUNGRY!

As to those people who try to "blend in"--I put my suitcase on the side of me where they are standing and I make certain that they DON'T get in front of me. I will often say, " Sorry, the line ends way back there...."

I have a bad right ankle and standing for long periods of time can really aggravate it to the point where it swells pretty badly. Several times I have been sitting on a seat in the waiting area right where the A line is formed. Usually, my husband is standing in line right in front of me. The last time I flew, I had a man get really upset with me when I stood up to follow my husband as the line began to move. "I didn't know that YOU were in line. I don't think that SITTING there qualifies as 'being in line'..." Thought my husband was going to kill the guy! Some people are ALWAYS looking for a problem where there isn't one!
I don't have a problem with what you have identified here with your husband & son, etc. I do, however, dislike with a pasison the "blending" people. What is up with that? I fly SW IND-MDW and only on this route, because of the "cattle call" as I call it, that SW has with their boarding process. I know it works for some, but it really drives me insane. I earn about one RR a year this way, so that keeps me coming back, but since I do not want to be arrested or hurt for airport rage, I try to keep it all in perspective. How do you regular SW FF deal with it???
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:15 pm

The gate agents at Midway are pretty good at telling 'blenders' where the back of the line is. I'm always prepared to do so, but inevitably other more vociferous passengers beat me to it.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You check in online, get an A, have a seat, and get up after almost all the A's have boarded. You'll get a good seat with no stress.

Herb
the last of the Oakland A's
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
You check in online, get an A, have a seat, and get up after almost all the A's have boarded. You'll get a good seat with no stress.
Yes, I always have a good laugh at those people who stand in the A line for 45 min. How dumb can you be?
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, I always have a good laugh at those people who stand in the A line for 45 min. How dumb can you be?
It's not that dumb if you'll be sitting on a plane for numerous of hours going from the west coast to the east.

Some people are forgetting that when you get older, your body don't hold up as much, which is why I know people leave luggage to hold a spot for them in line while they have a seat nearby. I really can't blame them.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Affirmative. The only reason to jockey for a place at the front of the "A" line is if you really must have an exit row seat. Otherwise, provided that you are armed with an "A" boarding pass -- readily available through online check-in -- you can do quite nicely by joining the "A" queue at the last minute.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
It's not that dumb if you'll be sitting on a plane for numerous of hours going from the west coast to the east.
In case you hadn't noticed, EVERYONE in the A group gets their first seat choice - window, aisle or middle as the case may be. There is absolutely no reason to stand in line unless you want an exit row. And that is not guaranteed even if you are at the front of the line, because there will always be preboarders.

So it is a huge waste of time and energy to stand in the A line. You could just as easily be using the time to stock up on food, use the restroom or simply relax and read the paper.

Now the B line is a different matter, as you may find your first choice taken if you are boarding near the end of that group.

C line is also a waste of time, you're virtually guaranteed a middle seat so you might as well not even bother getting up until last call. And you might as well check your luggage since the bin space will be gone.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:02 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by Boraxo
In case you hadn't noticed, EVERYONE in the A group gets their first seat choice - window, aisle or middle as the case may be. There is absolutely no reason to stand in line unless you want an exit row. And that is not guaranteed even if you are at the front of the line, because there will always be preboarders.

So it is a huge waste of time and energy to stand in the A line. You could just as easily be using the time to stock up on food, use the restroom or simply relax and read the paper.

Now the B line is a different matter, as you may find your first choice taken if you are boarding near the end of that group.

C line is also a waste of time, you're virtually guaranteed a middle seat so you might as well not even bother getting up until last call. And you might as well check your luggage since the bin space will be gone.
I think you have misread my answer.

I am not interested in finding a type of seat on the plane.

I am not interested in finding food, restroom, etc. Oftentimes, I am half-asleep when I get to the airport to take crosscountry flights. I am not interested in seeing parts of the airport because I have already seen those parts on my previous trips and will see them clearly when I am wide awake when I get back.

I don't want to sit because I might fall asleep, missing my flight. I also will be sitting for hours on a plane; my butt will ache enough from sitting that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.