Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Announces Codeshare Cities out of MDW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:38 am

Location: CO Plat Elite; ST Elite+; HH Gold; Starwood Plat; WN CompPass; Nashville, TN
ATA snuck in the LAS-HNL flight

Without much fanfare, ATA has added to their schedules LAS-HNL in April.

ATA flight 4409, leaves Indianapolis 11:00am, arrives Las Vegas 1:01pm
leaves Las Vegas 2:10pm, arrives Honolulu 5:25pm

Scheduled with a 757-300, so plenty of capacity for WN connects!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:44 am

"Oh the Humanity!" aka no RR awards to Hawaii

Well talk about a major bummer boys and girls. While yes SW will "sell" tickets to Hawaii, we cannot cash in our RR credits for trips there. Not surprising since ATA would be swamped with free loading RR folks should they have allowed it. Though it would have been nice to say set up RR award tickets to Hawaii for say 24 or even 32 credits. Alas cherie it was not meant to be.

Here's a quote from yesterday's SW press release on the code share deal in regards to their respective frequent flier programs.

"Southwest Rapid Rewards Awards Tickets will be available for travel only on Southwest Airlines operated service and ATA Travel Awards will be available for travel only on ATA operated service. Awards from either program will not be valid for travel on code share service."

At least on the bright side I can "fly" SW to visit my family in Denver.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:53 am

Location: CO Plat Elite; ST Elite+; HH Gold; Starwood Plat; WN CompPass; Nashville, TN
hold your horses, RR redemption on codeshares coming

WN and TZ are breaking new ground for both airlines with this codeshare. You still earn WN or TZ FQTV credit on codeshare flights, but they haven't determined their methodology for redemption. They clearly indicate in the press release that this is just a first stage:

"For now, the enhancement of service by the codeshare agreement does not impact either carrier's frequent flyer program."
I expect them to work out a plan for redemption on codeshare flights, however I do not expect it to be as simple as the current one. I would strongly expect that the Hawaii flights will either require 2 RR tickets *or* be tightly capacity controlled. It is very possible that redemption on domestic flights will remain the same as for any other WN domestic flight.

Last edited by BNAtraveller; Jan 14, 2005 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:59 am

Maybe if they combine the programs they can rationalize the award travel.
As I recall, ATA had a points setup similar to WNs credits. You would get the same credit whether you flew MDW-HNL or MDW-IND. However, for redeeming, MDW-HNL cost twice as much as MDW-IND.

It would be nice if Southwest would offer credit in line with the cost/length of the flight.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by L Dude 7
Maybe if they combine the programs they can rationalize the award travel.
As I recall, ATA had a points setup similar to WNs credits. You would get the same credit whether you flew MDW-HNL or MDW-IND. However, for redeeming, MDW-HNL cost twice as much as MDW-IND.
That sounds fair, but it would not be very useful if I had to search months and months in advance to have the remote possibility of finding an award seat. If it were tightly capacity controlled, it would still be pretty useless and not worth the hassle.

It would be nice if Southwest would offer credit in line
with the cost/length of the flight.
Stop it!!!!! Watch what you wish for. Their credit for short trips is one of the things I like most about SWA!!!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:22 am
Original Member

It would be nice if Southwest would offer credit in line with the cost/length of the flight.
Yeah, that's a great idea. It only takes 40 RTs from STL-Chicago on American, United, etc to get a free unrestricted domestic ticket (with fees if you book it less than a month in advance).

I know it's only January, but I nominate this post as the worst idea on the Southwest board for 2005.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Tino
I know it's only January, but I nominate this post as the worst idea on the Southwest board for 2005.
I'm going to have to go out on a limb (seeing as how there are 11.5 months worth of 2005 posts that haven't even been posted yet) and second that nomination as Worst Post of 2005!!!
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:22 am

OK, so can someone clarify confusion regarding earning RR credits? I understand that redeeming them for ATA flights is not an option. But if I purchase IND-MDW-DEN at southwest.com and fly both legs on ATA metal (IND-MDW is a frequent ATA route and of course the MDW-DEN couldn't be WN) do I earn RR credits for taking the flight?

My understanding from reading what we've all read is that the answer is no, for now.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:38 am

Below is the ATA FF program description from the ATA website. It looks like you need 6 RTs booked online to get a free ticket in the Cont. USA. 9 RTs booked online for a free ticket to Mex/Carribean and 12 RTs booked online to get a free ticket to Hawaii.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fast and Easy
Two words everyone likes when it comes to travel. In addition to Fast and Easy, the ATA Travel Awards Program allows for a third, and even better word - Free*. With ATA Travel Awards, you can earn Free* travel faster and easier than you can with any other airline program.

Fast - ATA Travel Awards members can earn a free* roundtrip coach companion ticket after just three (3) coach roundtrips.

Easy - Everything you need to earn free* travel is provided in one place - ata.com.

Register on ata.com
Book your travel on ata.com
Track your ATA Travel Awards points on ata.com
Redeem your ATA Travel Awards on ata.com
Manage your personal account information on ata.com

ATA Travel Awards: Free*, Fast, Easy...and Flexible. A valuable combination.

Easy to Earn
ATA Travel Awards have always been easy to earn with ATA. ATA Travel Awards members can earn a free* companion ticket after, as few as, three roundtrips. Travel more and earn tickets to Mexico, the Caribbean, even Hawaii.

1 one-way coach flight = 250 points
1 roundtrip coach flight = 500 points
1 one-way business class flight = 500 points
1 roundtrip business class flight = 1000 points

ata.com Bonus
Roundtrip flights booked on ata.com receive an additional 500 points.
One-way flights booked on ata.com receive an additional 250 points.

Take a look at our ATA Travel Awards chart. You'll see those points can add up quickly.

3000 points = Continental U.S. Companion Roundtrip Coach Ticket
6000 points = Continental U.S. Roundtrip Coach Ticket
9000 points = Mexico or Caribbean Roundtrip Coach Ticket
12,000 points = Hawaii Roundtrip Coach Ticket

ATA wants to recognize our loyal customers by providing them with added conveniences when they travel. Earn 15,000 flight activity points in a 12-month period and you automatically are granted ATA Elite status and will be able to take advantage of the following benefits:

Exclusive check-in lines for ATA Elite and ATA Business Class
Priority security clearance (where available)
Priority boarding at the gate
Preferred, front-of-aircraft seating

*Applicable fees and taxes apply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deeper down in the T&Cs page is the following interesting tidbits:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seats for Award travel are limited and capacity controlled; however, no blackout dates apply.
ATA Travel Points earned from Qualifying Purchases of ATA Scheduled Flights flown on or after September 1, 2004 may be redeemed for Awards for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of posting to the member's Membership Account.
ATA Travel Points earned from obtaining or use of an ATA Visa Card may be redeemed for Awards for a period of thirty-six (36) months from the date of posting to the member's Membership Account.
The number of Awards redeemed in 2004 was 23,605. 16,610 Awards were for companion travel within the continental U.S., 6,692 Awards were for travel within the continental U.S., 240 Awards were for travel to Mexico or the Caribbean and 63 Awards were for travel to Hawaii.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ATA's FF program is fairly similar to SWA's in that credits expire a year after you earn them and also in that they have a similar flat amount of credits issued per one-way flight and also that there is double credits for online booking. However it is DISSIMILAR in that the awards are capacity controlled.

And judging by the awards redeemed in 2004, ATA either TIGHTLY controls capacity to Hawaii, or else Hawaii is not a very popular place for people to use their miles to fly to since only 63 of the 23, 605 awards issued were issued for flights to Hawaii. That is only 1/4 of one percent!!! Anyways, I just thought the above info was fairly interested and I thought I'd post it for you all.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ginandtacos.com
But if I purchase IND-MDW-DEN at southwest.com and fly both legs on ATA metal (IND-MDW is a frequent ATA route and of course the MDW-DEN couldn't be WN) do I earn RR credits for taking the flight?
No, at least one of the segments MUST be on SWA for it to even be considered a codeshare flight. Otherwise I don't think you can buy the ticket from SWA. If the flight you buy IS a codeshare flight, you get FF credits from the airline you buy the ticket from.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
No, at least one of the segments MUST be on SWA for it to even be considered a codeshare flight. Otherwise I don't think you can buy the ticket from SWA. If the flight you buy IS a codeshare flight, you get FF credits from the airline you buy the ticket from.
So if the flight was IND-MDW on WN and then MDW-DEN on ATA, I'd get RR credit if I purchased on sw.com and ATA credits if I bought it from them? Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I hate to pile on, but I agree.

WN gets a lot of full fare short-haul business from this traveler thanks to the current Rapid Rewards credit scheme. If WN adopted this hare-brained idea and became like the rest of the pack, many of us would most certainly head for greener pastures (for example, airlines with seat assignments). Thankfully, WN is a trend-setter, not a follower.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by cAAl
Thankfully, WN is a trend-setter, not a follower.
You mean: thankfully, WN has decided to remain insanely generous to low-fare short-haul flyers.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
You mean: thankfully, WN has decided to remain insanely generous to low-fare short-haul flyers.
Or that. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Yeah, that's a great idea. It only takes 40 RTs from STL-Chicago on American, United, etc to get a free unrestricted domestic ticket (with fees if you book it less than a month in advance).

It takes 8 RTs on WN from LAX-JFK (or ISP ) to earn a free RESTRICTED domestic ticket (WN does not have an unrestricted ticket offering when they also have 11 blackout days).

It takes anywhere from 4-8 on UA/AA depending on status to earn the TRULY UNrestricted ticket (and on UA it's zero fees even if you book it 3 hours in advance). You can play those skewed examples either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.