Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2004, 2:45 pm

Does it prevails in all other airlines -

hello all,
Just curious, Does this prevails in other airways? Last week there was a show in Discovery wings about SW, and there are really embarasing the passanger in front of others.
Does the law do any thing for support of passanger?

Thanks
-P

Last edited by phoenixdude; Sep 4, 2004 at 2:46 pm Reason: to include SW
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
They wouldn't let ME buy an extra seat!

I wanted to buy an extra seat for a flight from LAX to PHX. But I am not overweight, they said nope--can't do.

Now THAT to me is a ridiculous policy--turning down revenue.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phoenixdude
hello all,
Just curious, Does this prevails in other airways? Last week there was a show in Discovery wings about SW, and there are really embarasing the passanger in front of others.
Does the law do any thing for support of passanger?

Thanks
-P
I've seen all of the Airline shows, and never once saw them embarrass any passengers. The only embarrassed passengers were the ones who made a scene and embarrased themselves.

However, in response to your question, no, there is no law which prohibits an airline from requiring an overweight passenger to buy two seats or, for that matter, from banning an overweight passenger from flying at all. "Size" isn't a protected class by law, unless it is classified as a disability (to my understanding, obesity is not so classified). Even if it were a disability, the ADA doesn't apply to commercial airlines.

To be blunt, I am less concerned about the feelings of an overweight passenger who must be told he/she must buy two seats (as opposed to the considerate passenger-of-size who is considerate of other passengers and buys two seats without having to be told), than I am about the passenger who has to share half his seat with with a passenger of size because the latter can't fit in his own seat.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
AFAIK, the law does not force the airline to favor either the large passenger or the victim of seat overflow. It's a business decision of which passenger you want to annoy more. SWA gets 10x more complaints from the latter than the former.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:50 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by PTravel
Even if it were a disability, the ADA doesn't apply to commercial airlines.
I'm not arguing either way, just pointing out that there is an Air Carrier Access Act which covers how airlines handle persons with disabilities.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm not arguing either way, just pointing out that there is an Air Carrier Access Act which covers how airlines handle persons with disabilities.
You're right about the ACA, of course. If I recall correctly, the gist of the act is that airlines have to provide access to the disabled provided that it can be done safely for the disabled passenger, and without risk to other passengers. I would think, then, that even under the ACA, if obesity was classified as a disability, airlines still would not be obligated to fly heavy passengers without requiring the extra seat purchase.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
AFAIK, the law does not force the airline to favor either the large passenger or the victim of seat overflow. It's a business decision of which passenger you want to annoy more. SWA gets 10x more complaints from the latter than the former.
Now, that's a very interesting question. It's certainly established law that airlines can make large passengers by extra seats -- SWA has already defended and won at least one such law suit.

I'm not so sure, however, that the airline can't be required to provide the victim of seat overflow with some accomodation. This is the simple law of contract -- the airline sells me a seat, it has to provide one (though the conditions of carriage provide that it may not necessarily be at the same time as the flight that I booked). I'm fairly certain that, if the airline told someone "either sit in that seat or we'll refund your money" to a passenger who only had access to half a seat because of a large seat mate, there'd be a tenable basis for a breach of contract action. Of course, the measure of damages is so small, i.e. the cost of the ticket, that, in practice, it's hardly worth suing. Hmmm. I've got to think about this -- maybe there's a way to work in a fraud count.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:46 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Could there potentially be an issue about the very large people fitting through window exits in the event of an emergency? I know that's not something they bring up, but I'd imagine there might be some issues around that somewhere.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) specifically states that an airline DOES NOT have to provide an additional seat free of charge to a passenger who does not fit in a single seat.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:29 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Babu
I wanted to buy an extra seat for a flight from LAX to PHX. But I am not overweight, they said nope--can't do.

Now THAT to me is a ridiculous policy--turning down revenue.
Their policy of not assigning seats (which is the source of your complaint) is a very, very profitable policy. Picking up a few extra nickels here and there isn't worth it.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by StSebastian
Could there potentially be an issue about the very large people fitting through window exits in the event of an emergency? I know that's not something they bring up, but I'd imagine there might be some issues around that somewhere.
This is why (Thank God) most carriers enforce a rule of nobody who needs a seatbelt extension being allowed to sit in an exit row.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gutt22
And to say that they couldn't lose a lawsuit because obesity isn't classified as a disability is ludicrous. ADA isn't the only grounds for a class action lawsuit of this type. WN can't discriminate based on age, which is not a disability, or on race, which isn't a disability, either.
They do discriminate on age--in assigning exit row seating, for instance.

Race is a protected class under civil rights legislation.

Obesity is not a protected class under any section of the US code.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:50 pm

COS Point of View

As what SW has labeled a "COS," here's my take:

First, I am extremely sensitive to encroaching on anyone else's space on a plane, no matter which carrier. Because of this, I make a point to purchase two seats when flying SW. (I even learned a good way to do it on southwest.com from people right here on FlyerTalk)

Second, because of the snail-mail refund policy, it takes time to send in the paperwork to get the second seat refunded. I don't have any issue with this other than inconvenience, so it prompts me to use Southwest as a carrier of last resort.

Third, I have to agree SW's policy is enforced inconsistently. I've had SW gate agents express surprise when I present myself (as directed by policy) for pre-boarding. They say they're surprised I'm a COS (guess I carry my weight well!) So, yes, I can see how the policy gets applied inconsistently. I guess that's just human nature.

However, at the end of the day I prefer to take responsibility for my own actions and pre-empt any issue on this by purchasing the second seat beforehand. The flying public has made it abundantly clear with their wallets that wider seats won't be in the business model for economy seating anytime soon.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
JLK9N, I am very impressed! In the age of electronic ticketing, WN should automate the refund process. The computer system probably already knows whether all the seats were sold, so this cannot be very difficult. This deficiency of the COS policy, unlike any of the others, is solely within WN's power to fix without any adverse effect on other passengers. So I say to WN: fix it ASAP!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:52 am

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
Originally Posted by JLK9N
As what SW has labeled a "COS," here's my take:

Second, because of the snail-mail refund policy, it takes time to send in the paperwork to get the second seat refunded. I don't have any issue with this other than inconvenience, so it prompts me to use Southwest as a carrier of last resort.
JLK9N, what are you referring to as the "snail-mail" refund policy? I get all of my second seat refunds over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.