Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest is now giving $75 vouchers for delayed flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Didn't see this discussed yet.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ram-2024-04-29

Originally Posted by Reuters
Southwest Airlines said it had launched a compensation program for flight delays as part of a $140 million U.S. Department of Transportation settlement over the carrier's meltdown in December 2022 during a busy holiday travel period. Southwest in December 2023 agreed over three years to provide $90 million in travel vouchers of $75 or more to passengers delayed at least three hours getting to final destinations because of an airline-caused issue or cancellation, and to start the program by April 30... Asked if Southwest would end the program after three years, [CEO Bob] Jordan said consumer programs "rarely change or go away."
They also updated their customer service plan with the following language:

Originally Posted by Southwest Airlines Customer Service Plan
Effective for travel beginning April 30, 2024, for significant flight delays or Southwest-initiated cancellations that are within our control, you may be eligible for a fully transferable Southwest LUV Voucher (of at least $75) if the following conditions are met:
• Southwest canceled and/or delayed your flight within seven days of the scheduled departure; and
• You arrived at your final destination three or more hours after the scheduled arrival time; and
• You submit a request for the Southwest LUV Voucher via Southwest.com/DelayForm no later than one (1) year after the flight in question.
If Southwest has already issued a voucher for a Customer for the same delay or cancellation, that satisfies Southwest’s commitment to issue the voucher, and an additional voucher will not be provided.
jjbiv likes this.

Last edited by FT777; May 2, 2024 at 6:19 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 7:34 pm
jmw

Yup. Scored a $200 voucher for a 3+ hour delay after I asked them to pay me last month. They've always paid me when I complained about non weather/ATC 3h+ delays, but I think it's easier and quicker now to get paid because of extra scrutiny by the media. The response for the April snafu was within 2 days.
Old May 5, 2024, 5:42 pm

Don't accept the $75. This is a misleading and sneaky way to make customers lose their rights. Under new government rules, you should get an actual refund (not some voucher) for the fare:
NEW LAW: Canceled or significantly changed flights: Passengers will be entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled or significantly changed, and they do not accept alternative transportation or travel credits offered. For the first time, the rule defines “significant change.” Significant changes to a flight include departure or arrival times that are more than 3 hours domestically and 6 hours internationally; departures or arrivals from a different airport; increases in the number of connections; instances where passengers are downgraded to a lower class of service; or connections at different airports or flights on different planes that are less accessible or accommodating to a person with a disability.
nsx likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:19 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gaswalla
Don't accept the $75. This is a misleading and sneaky way to make customers lose their rights. Under new government rules, you should get an actual refund (not some voucher) for the fare:
NEW LAW: Canceled or significantly changed flights: Passengers will be entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled or significantly changed, and they do not accept alternative transportation or travel credits offered. For the first time, the rule defines “significant change.” Significant changes to a flight include departure or arrival times that are more than 3 hours domestically and 6 hours internationally; departures or arrivals from a different airport; increases in the number of connections; instances where passengers are downgraded to a lower class of service; or connections at different airports or flights on different planes that are less accessible or accommodating to a person with a disability.

How do I go about getting this refund? I am sitting at DAL right now looking at about a 3+ hour delay by the time I arrive at my destination.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:20 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
From my understanding, the new law requires airlines to provide you with an instant refund if you choose not to travel in the event of a significant change. Nothing in the text that I am aware of says that airlines have to provide you a refund/compensate you if you have a cancellation/significant delay but still need to travel.

This is different from what WN is now offering, which is compensation in the event of a cancellation/significant delay and you still need to travel.

UA offers compensation in these situations as well, without writing in. I had a delayed flight (3+ hours), went to the Customer Service page of the UA website, input my info, and got a "You qualify for compensation screen" that allowed me to choose between a voucher ($150) or miles.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:05 am

This is a good summary of the new regulations issued by the DOT (it's not a statute). But I don't believe the rule goes into effect until October 28, 2024 (six months after the final regulation was published in the Federal Register). See section VII here: Federal Register :: Refunds and Other Consumer Protections. For now, you're still at the airlines' mercy.
gaswalla likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:49 am

3 hour delay and got $50. Not bad but had to fight through a few reps who lied about cause of delay to finally get the credit.
Old May 18, 2024, 5:19 am

Got an email this morning that today’s flight has a new flight time which is 3h50m difference from original departure time. First time I’ve received an email like this and there is no indication of reason either.

should I be filling out this form or calling CS about this for reimbursement .

https://support.southwest.com/helpce...ent-or-voucher
Old May 18, 2024, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by divincenzo
Got an email this morning that today’s flight has a new flight time which is 3h50m difference from original departure time. First time I’ve received an email like this and there is no indication of reason either.

should I be filling out this form or calling CS about this for reimbursement .

https://support.southwest.com/helpce...ent-or-voucher
Fill out the form unless you have status it’s the fastest way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.