Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight 147 Nearly Hits Control Tower at LGA (Mar 23 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

WN147 on March 23 was scheduled to perform BNA to LGA. Due to weather, went around on initial landing attempt. 2nd attempt aircraft deviated to the east of runway, causing panic at ATC, diverted to BWI, and returned back to LGA hours later.

Aircraft registration #N8554X - 738

Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:50 pm
jmw

Southwest requesting flyby.

Negative the pattern is full.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
The pilot of SWA sounded a little shook up on the transmissions after the go-around. I am sure that they knew the reason, even though they played stupid asking why they went around.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yikes, I assume the tower had a visual on them to waive them off as the lowest they got was 300' and the overcast was 600' at the time. It was a day of monsoon like rain here in NY.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yikes, I assume the tower had a visual on them to waive them off as the lowest they got was 300' and the overcast was 600' at the time. It was a day of monsoon like rain here in NY.
I am not sure of the physical location of the tower at LGA, but with a 4000' RVR, they may have not seen them, even if the ceiling was 600'. There is a RADAR display in the tower cab and they probably saw them off course on that display if they didn't have a visual out the window.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:00 pm

"What was the reason for that go around?"

Sounds like it was another pilot on final who asked why there were two go arounds, although the clip attributed that question to SWA. Or perhaps one of the AA pilots trying to find out what to expect on take off.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I flew out of LGA around the same time that day - choppy on the climb out along with poor visibility, so imagine the approach would have been difficult. That said, 147 had the aircraft lined up correctly, and deviated to the east fairly late, for unknown reasons, at least publicly.

I have to believe it was WN's pilot who asked about the reason for the 2nd go around; even one of the shook controllers started deviate from normal air traffic communication. There would have been no reason for other aircraft to be asking about the reason for the go around in real time.
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:15 am

It was our copilot

The female voice attributed to our flight (I was a passenger) was our copilot or first officer. She was indeed a Southwest employee, in the cockpit. It was an awful experience.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
"What was the reason for that go around?"

Sounds like it was another pilot on final who asked why there were two go arounds, although the clip attributed that question to SWA. Or perhaps one of the AA pilots trying to find out what to expect on take off.
joshua362 and jmw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.