Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can't use "change" to rebook lower point booking? Anyone else experiencing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I make many flight bookings with points. For years (up until yesterday and today) when I noticed a flight I had booked was now charging a lower amount of points, I would go into the reservation and do a "change" and it would let me change into the exact same flight and give me a credit for the difference in points. Starting yesterday when I try to do a change it tells me I would get zero points difference for the change even though I can see the points needed have dropped. The workaround is to make a brand new reservation for the lower point amount and then go back in and cancel the earlier reservation for the higher point amount. Has anyone else experienced this lately?
FoulHooked likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 11:54 am

I had a similar issue this week when I tried to make the change on the website. Didn't work, but tried it on the app with no problem.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:45 pm

Has there been a change to the flight time/number? If so, the free change overrides the points difference. When that has happened, I’ll make a new reservation & cancel the old.
EAJuggalo and Bearbear like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MrsWLV
Has there been a change to the flight time/number? If so, the free change overrides the points difference. When that has happened, I’ll make a new reservation & cancel the old.
No; this is happening with no schedule or flight # changes. Other flight options on the select flight page are accurately indicating fare changes, but selecting the same flight indicates no change when it should note a refund.

Changing to a different flight and then back to the original is another workaround, if you cant/do not want to book/cancel in separate transactions.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I had a similar issue this week when I tried to make the change on the website. Didn't work, but tried it on the app with no problem.
Interesting. I am having the issue regardless of app or browser.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:17 am

I had that issue. But luckily for me, the price of both segments decreased, so I just canceled and rebooked.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FoulHooked
Interesting. I am having the issue regardless of app or browser.
Me too. Same issue on computer and smartphone.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: SW RR
Same issue, Could not change in app or on computer. The price remained the same but the points went down 651 points. I always book 1 ways. So I canceled and rebooked the the flight out. The flight coming back went up. So I guess it's another reason to always book 1 ways.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by vegaslover8
.....The flight coming back went up. So I guess it's another reason to always book 1 ways.
I'm not sure I understand this comment which I've seen in a variety of posts. When I have a round trip, I am always able to change one leg (and get a refund when the price goes down, assuming that is working) and leave the other leg as it was originally priced. I know there may be other reasons to prefer one way vs RT, but I haven't had any issue canceling or changing just one leg of round trip.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
I'm not sure I understand this comment which I've seen in a variety of posts. When I have a round trip, I am always able to change one leg (and get a refund when the price goes down, assuming that is working) and leave the other leg as it was originally priced. I know there may be other reasons to prefer one way vs RT, but I haven't had any issue canceling or changing just one leg of round trip.
This thread is about a recent issue where you can't change/re-fare an existing flight where the fare has dropped, multiple examples of the issue by multiple people. The current work-around is to cancel the flight and rebook at the lower fare, which I assume won't work if a round trip and needing to cancel/re-fare just the one leg.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by dmbolp
.... The current work-around is to cancel the flight and rebook at the lower fare, which I assume won't work if a round trip and needing to cancel/re-fare just the one leg.

Yes, that is my point (you assume that it won't work to cancel one leg, but I am confused about that since I've done it several times without issue).

I'm simply stating that you COULD cancel the one leg of the roundtrip as easily as you could cancel the one way. My only comment was with regard to reply that said that's a reason to book one ways vs RTs. Again, I understand there are other reasons some people prefer one ways, but you can always cancel one leg easily (or change one leg if that functionality works as it normally does).
dmbolp and jjbiv like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Still an issue. Today I had 4 flights drop in points needed to book. I tried to "change" all 4 flights. For 2 flights it let me make the change and gave me a credit for the point difference. For the other 2 flights it (incorrectly) showed no point credit difference.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
This thread is about a recent issue where you can't change/re-fare an existing flight where the fare has dropped, multiple examples of the issue by multiple people. The current work-around is to cancel the flight and rebook at the lower fare, which I assume won't work if a round trip and needing to cancel/re-fare just the one leg.
They added in the ability to split a roundtrip online last year I think and cancel just one half of it so you don't need to call in to do it anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:25 am

Looks like this issue has been fixed. was able to re-fare a Cash booking as well as a point booking. The re-fare of the points booking took about an hour to reflect in my account possibly because it included early bird check-in. To note, the early bird check-in was still there after the process.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This problem has appeared and disappeared a few times over recent years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.