Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Fix your boarding process - issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:38 am

My emotional support animal has a disability; but it is not visible to most observers ...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:09 pm

DOT is considering allowing passengers with food allergies to preboard.

Lysol wipes easier to carry than crutches. And also biodegradable.

Claimants argue preboarding would NOT raise “operational, legal and policy concerns that would affect the entire industry as Southwest claims." There can be "no regulatory carveout for individuals with allergens to anything other than nuts."

DOT-OST-2022-0134
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by LegalTender; Feb 12, 2024 at 12:32 pm Reason: Link added
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:22 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by smarinello
We have a choice and we are going to exercise it.
Yes we have a choice and it doesn't directly involve posting here. Just sit in the seat. More of us AL+ and AL need to insist and hold up the line if necessary. The pilot can come out and make a decision. If he makes the wrong decision, you can get his name and write about it later to customer service on the website and get some $$$ because seat saving isn't a thing without a COS boarding pass.

I don't go out of my way to cause conflict so I won't manufacture a conflict, but I will insist if I actually need a quick exit from the plane.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:27 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by smarinello
SWA time to solve your self created boarding issues.

Today, from MCO to MDW. Flight packed. Pre-boards lined up as far as eyes could see as usual. Clearly some gaming the system. Very over weight folks now pre boarding, to many to be legitimate pre boarders. Wait, it gets better, same groups of Ow pre boarders SAVINg seats for family members. ...?! Wait, elderly pre boards, saving window seat for their family member.

time to fix a glaring problem. Many in my group online saying the same thing. We are all AList and AList P and are pissed about the same problem at every station and flight.

We have a choice and we are going to exercise it.

Typong on iPad on flight p,ease excuse typing
20 years on flyertalk and this is your 11th post. Based on the numbers I would say you are absolutely entitled to start this thread.
dayone and drooley like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:04 am

Not to pile on, but I recently made use of their generous offer to book and board as a COS to accommodate a 'medical device' that is essentially just an angled foam block. I flinched pretty hard when another preboarder who heard me speak with a gate agent (I'm not your typical COS) told me what a 'great idea' it was.

I don't have any answers - the airlines have to comply, and I understand and agree with most/all of the reasoning, but that stung. I do think family boarding being allowed on early but required to sit behind the exit rows would help a lot to push the traffic jam and issues further back.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I recently flew from mco to sju. What a disaster. There were DOZENS of preboards. This does need to be fixed.
The easiest solution is having an Alist only section. Make the exit row and the first several rows of the plane Alist or business select. Then I won’t give a crap about the whole pre board situation.

this really is an issue and for any apologists to act like it isn’t is disingenuous. While it’s not an issue at many stations - it’s a disaster at others.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I recently flew from mco to sju. What a disaster. There were DOZENS of preboards. This does need to be fixed.
The easiest solution is having an Alist only section. Make the exit row and the first several rows of the plane Alist or business select. Then I won’t give a crap about the whole pre board situation.

this really is an issue and for any apologists to act like it isn’t is disingenuous. While it’s not an issue at many stations - it’s a disaster at others.
Again, exit row can't be taken by pre-boarders, so it is effectively saved for Alist and Business Select

And again, pre-boarders legally need to be accommodated with the easiest seats to get to, and those are going to be at the front
connor35 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
The easiest solution is having an Alist only section. Make the exit row and the first several rows of the plane Alist or business select.
I strongly prefer an aisle seat towards the back rather than a window or middle in the first several rows, and I doubt I am the only AL like that.
dc2 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
[QUOTE=Juanefny;35994645]...
The easiest solution is having an Alist only section. Make the exit row and the first several rows of the plane Alist or business select. Then I won’t give a crap about the whole pre board situation..../QUOTE]

And that would require FA to monitor it on the plane, by checking your boarding pass, or something.

Or a separate boarding group who then can fight among themselves... LOL!

Last edited by NoStressHere; Feb 13, 2024 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:29 am

"Sectioning" and "open seating" are self-cancelling.

The airline tolerates unhappy elites in favor of exploiting "pick your open seat" charms. No crisis exists until upgraded boarding revenue tanks because of preboarding abuse.

The 2022 ancillary revenue total was 43.7% higher than the previous year.
joshua362 and Rd3 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
A listers pretty much get their choice of seats, other than the first few rows going to "special preboards".
Bear96 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
I will take the exit seat that is being “saved”. Uh no. Not going to play that game. Fell free to buy your travel partner the BS fare or upgrade at the gate. When I’m A16 because I didn’t buy BS on this flight, that doesn’t mean typical get to save exit row seats. So sorry
connor35 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:36 pm

We fly WN a fair amount and have for 25 years. Been AL for many years now. My dad had a non-visible disability so I am aware. Lately it’s 30+ pre-boarders every time. Today in Kona more like 40-45 with many young and very able bodied and then one I noted had a Southwest employee looking sweater on. Pre board should be mandatory back of plane so that way they have plenty of extra time to get off without feeling rushed… same as onboarding. Makes sense. If it wasn’t for the CP we wouldn’t fly WN anymore with the preboard nonsense just one issue.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As normal flyers, maybe we can take some action.

A suggest.

How about we all go over to the preboard line, then knell down and pray with them to cure whatever ailment they have.??
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Pre board should be mandatory back of plane so that way they have plenty of extra time to get off without feeling rushed… same as onboarding.
Aside from being illegal for WN to do that, and the fact that people who preboard aren't necessarily doing it because they don't want to "feel rushed", your statement demonstrates a cognitive bias.
connor35 and arcanium like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.