Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Fix your boarding process - issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

WN Fix your boarding process - issues

SWA time to solve your self created boarding issues.

Today, from MCO to MDW. Flight packed. Pre-boards lined up as far as eyes could see as usual. Clearly some gaming the system. Very over weight folks now pre boarding, to many to be legitimate pre boarders. Wait, it gets better, same groups of Ow pre boarders SAVINg seats for family members. ...?! Wait, elderly pre boards, saving window seat for their family member.

time to fix a glaring problem. Many in my group online saying the same thing. We are all AList and AList P and are pissed about the same problem at every station and flight.

We have a choice and we are going to exercise it.

Typong on iPad on flight p,ease excuse typing
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:27 pm

kennycrudup and MSP_Monopoly like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:52 pm

Is there really a need for a new thread for the same old rant?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:55 pm

I'm also AL+, none of those preboarders can take my emergency exit row seats, so I don't care. If you want a window seat that someone is saving but no one is sitting in it yet, sit in it!
jmw, FlightNurse, smmrfld and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:57 pm

The only "fix" available to SWA under federal law is to start assigning seats. I don't think they are willing to start down that path and I'm not convinced the average customer would be any better off under an assigned seats regime. Most people are honest and the current (imperfect) process works well enough.
joshua362, smmrfld and apeoples13 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:54 pm

Same Old Rant…. Different Day.

Random thought….what if they did do assigned seats….BUT, heres the catch. You pick your assigned seat by when you purchase it. Leave like the first 5 rows and exit rows open only for A Listers, and thats it.

PreBoards could still exist, you could still board by group number like you do now, just with assigned seats.

Although this method would miss on early bird cash. Maybe charge more for Window and Aisle seats.

Never mind, I guess this is a terrible idea. Ignore me
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Same Old Rant…. Different Day.

Random thought….what if they did do assigned seats….BUT, heres the catch. You pick your assigned seat by when you purchase it. Leave like the first 5 rows and exit rows open only for A Listers, and thats it.

PreBoards could still exist, you could still board by group number like you do now, just with assigned seats.

Although this method would miss on early bird cash. Maybe charge more for Window and Aisle seats.

Never mind, I guess this is a terrible idea. Ignore me
How about just not letting pre boarders sit in the first five {or so} rows. Or even better make them sit in the last five only.
MSP_Monopoly and apeoples13 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:24 am

One of my all-time favorite Southwest flights was one where Miss pre-border got on, to block seats for the rest of her family, and a mutiny occurred. People started moving her carefully placed junk and taking a seat. She ran complaining and FA told her sorry she couldn’t do anything. And then mama‘s kids got on and they were drunk because they stayed in the bar until the last minute cause mama was saving seats And the pilot came out and told the children they could sit down in the central seats that were left and shut up.

So, if little Mr. and Miss pre-border wants to block a seat, just take it. You can watch them act like the two-year-old they are.

now I have watched them crack down a lot at MCO so I find thus interesting. Last time I was there there was a family of 12 who were all going to pre-board with the toddler and they were told two parents one toddler apparently something had been said to the flight attendant because when we got on the plane, they had not been able to block any other seats, and they were not happy. Same thing occurred with a family who had a woman in a wheelchair. A couple of people got on with her and the rest and were told to board with their normal boarding group (boy they were really unhappy.&#128514
jjbiv, LAX/HKG, steved5480 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Is there really a need for a new thread for the same old rant?
Prop not, but here's the deal, I believe by continuing to highlight the ridiculousness of WN's lack of boarding enforcement, and expressing our frustration keeps the topic alive and someone from WN will notice.
Nasu likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HGPilot
How about just not letting pre boarders sit in the first five {or so} rows. Or even better make them sit in the last five only.
Because for the non-miracle flight pre-boarder with a legit mobility issue, you can be getting into ACAA violation territory with that.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Because for the non-miracle flight pre-boarder with a legit mobility issue, you can be getting into ACAA violation territory with that.
Then exclude those people from this. BUT, they then have to wait on the plane until everyone else has departed and then get in the wheelchair waiting for them at the jet bridge.

I do appreciate that the ADA makes things difficult especially with "hidden"disabilities that you have to accept.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
ANY flight to and fro MCO is over exaggerated with pre-boarders and hence abuse of. Its just the nature of the beast that is MCO and never gonna change.

As you say, you probably have more choices then most at MCO.
ryw and apeoples13 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HGPilot
Then exclude those people from this. BUT, they then have to wait on the plane until everyone else has departed and then get in the wheelchair waiting for them at the jet bridge.

I do appreciate that the ADA makes things difficult especially with "hidden"disabilities that you have to accept.
It is the ACAA, not the ADA. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...ter-D/part-382

The ACAA does not allow the airline to question a passengers declaration of a disability nor judge the validity of it.

As far as restricting them to particular seats, 14 CFR 382 prevents that. The exit row seat requirements apply to other passengers as well so that is allowed.
14 CFR 382.33 May carriers impose other restrictions on passengers with a disability that they do not impose on other passengers?

(a) As a carrier, you must not subject passengers with a disability to restrictions that do not apply to other passengers, except as otherwise permitted in this part (e.g., advance notice requirements for certain services permitted by § 382.27).
steved5480 and HGPilot like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
This again?

Can emotional support animals be next?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by dlaue
Can emotional support animals be next?
Those got banned three years ago.
FlightNurse likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.