Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking for 2 people with points and cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Question Booking for 2 people with points and cash

(I figured I would start a new topic, sorry to bombard.)

I am booking 2 round trip tickets. Between my husband and I, we have enough points for each of us to get one way free. Two questions:

1. It seems like we need to each book two one way tickets, since we only have enough to cover part of our trip in points, is that true? So we would pay one way in points, and one way with cash.
2. I am shy by about 50 points to cover my ticket, whereas my husband has several thousand more than me. Does he need to transfer some points to me? Or can we somehow use his login and access my account when booking tickets for both of us and combine our pool? (I hope my question makes sense). Or is there an easier way?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Booking one ways makes things easier, so I would do that. Just makes everything easier.

Unless you have certain Chase/SWA cards, transfers can be expensive.

You say you are short 50 points. Prices change often and if you check again you may see that rates went up or maybe down.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:32 pm

He can book a ticket for you with his points.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
He can book a ticket for you with his points.
He doesn't have enough to cover both of us, unfortunately. He has 12k and I have 7k. The tickets are in the 7k range.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by travelfam7700
He doesn't have enough to cover both of us, unfortunately. He has 12k and I have 7k. The tickets are in the 7k range.
There are ways to accrue small amounts of points through their survey panel and online shopping portal. I don't know how long it takes though.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
This might be one of those rare cases when it makes sense to buy a small amount of points
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion! It ended up being cheapest to spend $20 for him to transfer 2000 points to me (cheaper than me purchasing the same amount for $60). The transfer went through instantly and I was able to get both of our one way tickets for free! Very happy with that.

Now for our return visit, I am very tempted to use Spirit. It is nearly 50% of the price of SWA, even with us paying for luggage.
jjbiv and joshua362 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Get a few WN credit cards and companion passes. It makes this calculus so much easier. I never run out of WN points. Lol
nsx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.