Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plugged “door” on MAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't trust any of the MAX planes (clearly with good reason) and can usually avoid them on my WN routes. But good to know none will be afflicted by the latest flaw.....
Not sure if everyone agrees there is good reason. I tend to think the MAX is safer because of all the extra attention it has gotten. Will fly the MAX any day myself.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by dc2
I wondered about this, too.

"The air pressurization warning light went off on December 7, January 3 and January 4. Homendy said the crews reported it each time, the system was tested and reset."“We have record they were tested and then reset by maintenance personnel,” Homendy said.

Alaska Airlines decided to restrict the aircraft from long flights over water so the plane “could return very quickly to an airport” if the warning light reappeared, Homendy said.
https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/nts...door-01072024/
Hmmm. I was wondering if any of the other grounded 737 max 9's flight wide might have also experienced faults on the air pressurization?

It said Alaska decided to restrict the aircraft from long flights over the water due to the faults, but I was wondering if this is discretionary to the airlines? I thought ETOPS had pretty stringent rules?
Alaska voluntarily restricted the aircraft from overwater ETOPS routes. The only requirements for ETOPS are that certain items be working (pressurization system is obviously one such item) and a mechanic must inspect the aircraft before departure to verify there are no faults which would restrict it from performing an ETOPS flight.

Pressurization issues can be hard to reproduce on the ground (where the outside ambient air pressure is higher). So the flight crew reports the issue, the mechanics check the aircraft on the ground, check common causes of pressurization faults like bad door seals, and return the aircraft to service after conducting a pressurization check. Sometimes this process repeats itself until you find the real root cause.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jjbiv
Pressurization issues can be hard to reproduce on the ground (where the outside ambient air pressure is higher). So the flight crew reports the issue, the mechanics check the aircraft on the ground, check common causes of pressurization faults like bad door seals, and return the aircraft to service after conducting a pressurization check. Sometimes this process repeats itself until you find the real root cause.
The process did repeat itself.

If you were flying on a plane, say from PDX to ONT, and you found out that the airline wasn't using it in ETOPS applications because they thought there was some increased risk of depressurization, and they were flying it on your route because it was easy to find a diversion airport... would you feel comfortable?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:34 am
jmw

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Not sure if everyone agrees there is good reason. I tend to think the MAX is safer because of all the extra attention it has gotten. Will fly the MAX any day myself.
I used to think the same thing too. But this accident occurred anyway despite the extra attention in the last few years with the Max and Dreamliner issues.
Boraxo and alggag like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CA1900
No. That extra pair of exits is specific to the Max9 and the -900ER, neither of which WN operates. I don't believe any US carrier uses those additional exits because the planes aren't set up in a high-density configuration that would require them, so they're plugged.
Yes, Delta operates some -900ERs that have these as an exit row. They are ex-Lion Air and Batik Air aircraft.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Not sure if you can even tell from the inside. Pictures?
Originally Posted by jjbiv
There is no way to tell unless you happen to know which row it is.
Yes you can tell, as there is more space between the windows in these rows and the rows in front of and behind this row.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

If you were flying on a plane, say from PDX to ONT, and you found out that the airline wasn't using it in ETOPS applications because they thought there was some increased risk of depressurization, and they were flying it on your route because it was easy to find a diversion airport... would you feel comfortable?
I would personally be fine with it. There are thousands of discrepancies with aircraft everyday. Not all of them can immediately be tracked to a root cause. Even a rapid depressurization is almost always a non-event. The flight crew descends and the aircraft lands. Until this happened, I don't think anyone would have thought to look at the plugged exit door unless a smoke test showed a leak there.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:11 pm

Rapid depressurization can never be a "non-event." Boeing never revealed that MAX has a special vulnerability.

"We found today that the cockpit door is designed to open during rapid decompression,” NTSB chair Jennifer Homendy said. “However, none among the crew knew that. Boeing will now include the information in the flight manual. They [the pilot and copilot] had trouble hearing each other, they had trouble hearing air-traffic control and they had trouble communicating during the event.”
No one wants the door open on the descent into the airport.

Too bad they can't replace the "plugs" with a proper, already certified door at this position, like the high density users who are carrying on unrestricted, and doing without a few seats in the interim. Of course, there probably aren't 250 fully-certified doors just laying around.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:22 pm

There was no real increased risk. The max pressurization system uses two identical controllers. One is in standby as a backup. If one fails you can still dispatch with the other one. If it were to fail the cabin pressure can be controlled manually by the crew. The issue on the Alaska aircraft had zero to do with the door plug falling out.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Rapid depressurization can never be a "non-event." Boeing never revealed that MAX has a special vulnerability.

No one wants the door open on the descent into the airport.

Too bad they can't replace the "plugs" with a proper, already certified door at this position, like the high density users who are carrying on unrestricted, and doing without a few seats in the interim. Of course, there probably aren't 250 fully-certified doors just laying around.
Yes, I was thinking it should have been originally designed that way. But the whole concept behind the MAX (i.e. just update the 737 with more fuel efficient engines) was to penny pinch instead of starting from scratch. I'm sure it saved a few pennies to use plugs instead of doors, and now that is coming back to bite Boeing.
jmw likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's a detailed discussion of the design: http://www.gregorytravis.com/Aviation/737DoorPlug2.pdf

The author argues that this must have been an installation an inspection error, and that the design is proven and sound if installed correctly. The article is thorough and persuasive.
dc2 and screeton like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Here's a detailed discussion of the design: http://www.gregorytravis.com/Aviation/737DoorPlug2.pdf

The author argues that this must have been an installation an inspection error, and that the design is proven and sound if installed correctly. The article is thorough and persuasive.
Just like the pilots were to blame because the MACS was correctly installed.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CA1900
No. That extra pair of exits is specific to the Max9 and the -900ER, neither of which WN operates. I don't believe any US carrier uses those additional exits because the planes aren't set up in a high-density configuration that would require them, so they're plugged.
Delta has a few -900ERs with the exits in the back because they bought some used planes which previously operated for Lionair and Malindo Air and haven't had a full cabin change out yet.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The current WN fleet plan calls for the -8 and -7, neither of which have the plug door. (The design as noted pre-dates the max with the introduction on the 900ER)

Preliminary NTSB report notes that when Spirit Aerosystems repaired some rivets in the adjacent structure, they failed to re-install the four bolts that secured the plug to the fuselage. This was all done at the Boeing factory in Renton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.