Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plugged “door” on MAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Plugged “door” on MAX

Does anyone know whether WN has the plugged door configuration on the 737 max, which caused a big problem for AS yesterday when the plug didn’t hold?

Last edited by Chamor; Jan 6, 2024 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Chamor
Does anyone know whether WN has the plugged door configuration on the 737 max, which caused a big problem for AS yesterday when the plug didn’t hold?
WN doesn't operate MAX 9, as far as I know.

In the B737 MAX 9, there’s a rear cabin exit door located after the wings but before the rear exit door. This feature, activated in dense seating setups, aligns with evacuation requirements. Notably, Alaska Airlines keeps these doors permanently “plugged.”

Boeing deactivates the additional door on some of the carrier’s MAX 9 jets in the factory before delivery. This door, indistinguishable to passengers, is a standard sidewall and window in the cabin.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:41 am

Hoping they locate the missing door.

Pilot forums see a silver lining:

On a positive note: It makes the middle seat more attractive. Think of the view and the additional arm room.

Maybe start writing notes to toss out: "I've been trying to contact you about your automobile warranty" and let people guess how it got on the roof of their house.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:11 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by Chamor
No. That extra pair of exits is specific to the Max9 and the -900ER, neither of which WN operates. I don't believe any US carrier uses those additional exits because the planes aren't set up in a high-density configuration that would require them, so they're plugged.
Boraxo, screeton, Chamor and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CA1900
No. That extra pair of exits is specific to the Max9 and the -900ER, neither of which WN operates. I don't believe any US carrier uses those additional exits because the planes aren't set up in a high-density configuration that would require them, so they're plugged.
No one is going to want to sit in this seat going forward. Especially the window
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
No one is going to want to sit in this seat going forward. Especially the window
While that may be true for some folks (and maybe the same crowd who won't sit in a seat in row 13), it's not necessarily a logical conclusion. The 737-900ER (and more recently MAX -9) have been in service with plugged exits for years without incident. I would sit in the window seat next to a plugged exit on any flight any day. Perhaps it might be wise to avoid this seat on a newer build MAX -9 for a bit until we have a good grasp of the root cause.

It's a bit of a moot point now anyway, Reference: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-737-max-9s-grounded-after-alaska-airlines-in-flight-blowout/
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by jjbiv; Jan 7, 2024 at 11:09 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:21 am
jmw

All of them are grounded anyway until a real inspection specific to the plug is done. So worries about sitting in the death seat or death row.

I'm more concerned about the lack of safety culture at Boeing being replaced with the desire to minimize expenses for maximum profits which seems to have continued unabated to 2024. Only God (or insert favorite deity) and MacGyver workaround like the new manual shutoff switch for MCAS has prevented another fatal incident. The FAA seems complicit to this bad behavior. This means the whole 737 Max including those flown by Southwest has been a continual dumpster fire and not just the Max 9. I fly enough Max to have had a 737 Max part fall on my head while I was trying to take a nap. It's the modern version of the Ford Pinto case. Ford Pintos in general were very bad due to cost cutting and not just the fuel tank issue. Same with Boeing.

Despite that, I rather sit in any 737 Max than an Uber, Greyhound, Amtrak, or my car. But if it was viable to switch from a Max to a non-Max on Southwest without disrupting my schedule much, I would.
screeton likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I believe the MAX9 can configured to hold 200 passengers by removing the aft lavatories and both galleys. The extra exit rows are necessary to evacuate 200 people in 90 seconds with 1/2 or more of the emergency doors in use.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Not sure if you can even tell from the inside. Pictures?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
There is no way to tell unless you happen to know which row it is.

Ask almost any 737 pilot and they will tell you the MAXes are great flying aircraft. The MCAS debacle was a non-issue in the US and with crews of similar experience levels in other countries, too.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jjbiv

Ask almost any 737 pilot and they will tell you the MAXes are great flying aircraft. The MCAS debacle was a non-issue in the US and with crews of similar experience levels in other countries, too.
Experience levels absolutely matter.

But with a recurring pressurization warning light, the airline needs to do more than restrict service to overland routes.

The flying door plug has been found in a school teacher’s backyard. Amazingly, two mobile phones from the flight were also found.

The one with light showing through?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:00 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Experience levels absolutely matter.

But with a recurring pressurization warning light, the airline needs to do more than restrict service to overland routes.

The flying door plug has been found in a school teacher’s backyard. Amazingly, two mobile phones from the flight were also found.

The one with light showing through?
I wondered about this, too.

"The air pressurization warning light went off on December 7, January 3 and January 4. Homendy said the crews reported it each time, the system was tested and reset."“We have record they were tested and then reset by maintenance personnel,” Homendy said.

Alaska Airlines decided to restrict the aircraft from long flights over water so the plane “could return very quickly to an airport” if the warning light reappeared, Homendy said.
https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/nts...door-01072024/
Hmmm. I was wondering if any of the other grounded 737 max 9's flight wide might have also experienced faults on the air pressurization?

It said Alaska decided to restrict the aircraft from long flights over the water due to the faults, but I was wondering if this is discretionary to the airlines? I thought ETOPS had pretty stringent rules?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by LegalTender

I knew "Find My Phone" was a strong app. I didn't know there was also a "Find My Door" app!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't trust any of the MAX planes (clearly with good reason) and can usually avoid them on my WN routes. But good to know none will be afflicted by the latest flaw.

Row 26, as reported in AS forum. I don't think that will be popular now.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
You can't tell from the inside. But we know it's there now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.