Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same-Day Standby Expanded

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2023, 12:41 am

So I'm seeing that you can add yourself to the standby list through the app?
When do these clear? Like, can you standby for an earlier flight with checked bags or will that cause problems? What about companions on a companion pass?

I assume these may still be reasons to value confirmed same day changes but this really cuts the value down from WGA+. I guess they were hoping to sell a lot of WGA+ but there weren't many takers? I remember a lot of WGA+ fares costing $30 more when it first launched but the fare difference is now often only $10 or $20 for these same routes.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
And both of those were confirmed prior to the original flight departing, correct? GAs might give you a boarding position, then that's really a same-day change versus standby.
Yes....so, how are you differentiating a same day change vs standby?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by randomasian
So I'm seeing that you can add yourself to the standby list through the app?
When do these clear? Like, can you standby for an earlier flight with checked bags or will that cause problems? What about companions on a companion pass?

I assume these may still be reasons to value confirmed same day changes but this really cuts the value down from WGA+. I guess they were hoping to sell a lot of WGA+ but there weren't many takers? I remember a lot of WGA+ fares costing $30 more when it first launched but the fare difference is now often only $10 or $20 for these same routes.
I think we'll have to wait and see for DPs. The policies are confusing.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Company releases and media reports share one similar passage.

Expanded standby comes as the airline works on “product enhancements.”
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yes....so, how are you differentiating a same day change vs standby?
Same Day Change: You get an actual boarding posting for the other flight, say C-20, so you're definitely on that other flight

Same Day Standby: Your on a list for another flight and "might" get on that flight, might not, wouldn't know until later. But you're still assigned to your original flight.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:43 am

Same Day Standby: Your on a list for another flight and "might" get on that flight, might not, wouldn't know until later. But you're still assigned to your original flight.
That's exactly my situation described in my prior post but you said it was a same day change.

FWIW, re rule in post #20, that's from a 2022 press release. The recent press release does not include same day standby "prior to original flight" language.

https://swamedia.com/releases/releas...usiness-select
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:11 am

Thanks @Brian M I’m super torn about how to handle this.

I booked a 7p flight but circumstances changed and I want to fly out at 9a. I am traveling with a companion

the flight is in a week, so the price is 20k more points

Obviously, I don’t wanna go to the airport so early without any reason if I cannot get on the earlier flight.

Do I have to cancel the companion’s ticket and then list for standby for the primary? If confirmed, then I can add them? But it cannot be too close to departure, right?

has anyone dealt with this in the past?

thank you
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
#1 CONCERN ---

don't forget, there has to be a seat. Seems obvious, but I think we sometimes forget that. Seems like most of the flights these days are full, so...
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:50 am

That's exactly my situation described in my prior post but you said it was a same day change.

FWIW, re rule in post #20, that's from a 2022 press release. The recent press release does not include same day standby "prior to original flight" language.

Ah, got it, sorry. You're saying that in both cases you (or friend) were able to get on the standby list for a later flight, sat on that list for awhile, and eventually, but at least prior to the original flight departing, we're cleared and given a boarding position for the later flight. I assumed you asked about availability on the later flight and were immediately given a boarding position.
Troopers likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

This is no different than stand by has always been. If there are a lot of open seats, they will skip the entire stand-by procedure and give you a confirmed seat. If there are not a lot of seats, then you are on stand-by. They will not put you on stand-by for a later flight and you do not want to be on stand by for a later seat, because there is a significant possibility that you simply will not fly. What happens then ? It could be days before a stand-by seat opens up.

The only way to get on stand-by for a later flight is to simply not show up and invoke the flat tire rule ( I assume it still exists ). But you are in the same situation. You may or may not fly today and it could be days before you do fly.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:59 am

And good catch on the removal of the "earlier flight" requirement in the new Standby language.

So let's say your original flight departs at Noon, and you get on the standby list for an 8pm flight. Noon approaches and you haven't been cleared for the 8pm flight, what next?:

A) Get on the original Noon flight
B) No-show?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:05 am

And good catch on the removal of the "earlier flight" requirement in the new Standby language.

So let's say your original flight departs at Noon, and you get on the standby list for an 8pm flight. Noon approaches and you haven't been cleared for the 8pm flight, what next?:

A) Get on the original Noon flight
B) No-show?
That's the dilemma. At least one can standby at midnight via the app; so no need to head to airport. I wish SWA would provide guidelines when standby clears.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
This is no different than stand by has always been. If there are a lot of open seats, they will skip the entire stand-by procedure and give you a confirmed seat. If there are not a lot of seats, then you are on stand-by. They will not put you on stand-by for a later flight and you do not want to be on stand by for a later seat, because there is a significant possibility that you simply will not fly. What happens then ? It could be days before a stand-by seat opens up.

The only way to get on stand-by for a later flight is to simply not show up and invoke the flat tire rule ( I assume it still exists ). But you are in the same situation. You may or may not fly today and it could be days before you do fly.
You sure about no stand-by for later flights except for fire tire rule? I understand the risks.

To be clear, I'm talking about the new standby policy where "earlier flight" requirement appears to removed.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:17 am

You sure about no stand-by for later flights except for fire tire rule? I understand the risks.

To be clear, I'm talking about the new standby policy where "earlier flight" requirement appears to removed.
One way to find out. I just booked ATL-MDW at 4:10pm for today with points. Then in the app I first had to check in, then was able to be added to the standby list for the 7:15pm later flight, got the below confirmation that I'm on standby for the later flight:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:19 am

One way to find out. I just booked ATL-MDW at 4:10pm for today with points. Then in the app I first had to check in, then was able to be added to the standby list for the 7:15pm later flight, got the below confirmation that I'm on standby for the later flight:
Thanks for confirming! So the 7:15pm flight was full, and thus the standby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.