Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same-Day Standby Expanded

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Is there someone with a-list who has tried confirming a change on the app/online with either a companion or other travelers on the reservation?
- A-List and just booked ATL-BWI for this afternoon, WGA on points
- Added non-status companion
- Clicked on "View/Manage" and got the expected message "In order to change or cancel, you must first cancel the associated companion reservation"
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Its announced.

Can't wait to see how how the internet login validation is going to work. I still recall when they changed the password character requirement for the login for A List + members and didn't tell anyone...
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:20 pm

Perhaps this is already something some have experienced, but would be a first for me. Suppose I booked a flight and then got placed on a standby for an earlier flight but did not get boarded. Can I still cancel my flight without any penalty?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by xooz
Perhaps this is already something some have experienced, but would be a first for me. Suppose I booked a flight and then got placed on a standby for an earlier flight but did not get boarded. Can I still cancel my flight without any penalty?
Your reservation has not been changed to the earlier flight so you have until 10 minutes before the original time of the original flight.
xooz likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:54 am
Original Member

An interesting wrinkle for those of us who fly on zed fares (industry standby). This move obviously devalues flying zed standby, as paying customers on other flights that day now get access to available seats before the non-rev standbys. And as a non-SW-employee, I am at the absolute bottom of the standby priority list.

I suppose to combat this, I will purchase the last flight of the day (if it is cheap) using points and then attempt to go standby earlier as a paid passenger, allowing me to leapfrog the rest of the non-rev standbys. It's a good way to get a few extra bucks out of us cheapskates.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I applaud Southwest for making this change, but as I just crossed past the minimum A-list qualification threshold, I'm disappointed, my effort gained any new benefit. Is it just me that think that A-list deserves some other new benefit.....

Jiburi
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tino
An interesting wrinkle for those of us who fly on zed fares (industry standby). This move obviously devalues flying zed standby, as paying customers on other flights that day now get access to available seats before the non-rev standbys. And as a non-SW-employee, I am at the absolute bottom of the standby priority list.

I suppose to combat this, I will purchase the last flight of the day (if it is cheap) using points and then attempt to go standby earlier as a paid passenger, allowing me to leapfrog the rest of the non-rev standbys. It's a good way to get a few extra bucks out of us cheapskates.
Not sure about SW but DL does not allow employees to book confirmed and standby on the same day. Wouldn't be surprised if SW has or will apply similar restrictions.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:25 pm

Dupe

Last edited by xooz; Aug 22, 2023 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by xooz
Not sure about SW but DL does not allow employees to book confirmed and standby on the same day. Wouldn't be surprised if SW has or will apply similar restrictions.
That's certainly true for employees of the same airline; not sure if that rule applies to employees of other airlines.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

And as a non-SW-employee, I am at the absolute bottom of the standby priority list..
> Employees first, then dependents, then Guest Pass travelers
> Southwest assumes no baggage liability for nonrevenue travelers
> Sit behind the wing and non-emergency exit row
> You are "expected to present a clean, well-groomed, and tasteful appearance"

No. 4 would eliminate me.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:22 am
Original Member

That wasn't my intention. I was just stating that I will be forced to buy a later flight with points in lieu of paying a zed fare. They get a few more bucks out of me, but as a paying customer, I move to the head of the standby list ahead of the non-rev passengers. I am aware that booking a positive space ticket and flying non-rev standby on the same airline+route+day is against the program rules.

I can still pay a zed fare/fly standby on any other airline on that same route as a backup (for example, there are 6 airlines and 20 daily routes between Tampa-Chicago).
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: WN A+,CP (ex-DL Platinum)
I can't figure something out. Let's say I purchased a 6:00a departure. I can't standby for a later flight that day, can I? I know I can put myself on the standby list at Midnight, but I take it I won't get cleared for a later flight before my flight leaves. Is this correct? Does this mean the requested standby-list flight has to be earlier than the purchased flight?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by A16someday
I can't figure something out. Let's say I purchased a 6:00a departure. I can't standby for a later flight that day, can I? I know I can put myself on the standby list at Midnight, but I take it I won't get cleared for a later flight before my flight leaves. Is this correct? Does this mean the requested standby-list flight has to be earlier than the purchased flight?
The rule is quoted in post #20 above, standby is available on flights prior to original flight.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
The rule is quoted in post #20 above, standby is available on flights prior to original flight.
The rule states "prior to your originally scheduled flight" but I'm not sure about that. My friend was cleared for standby for a later flight at the ticket counter when the later (last) flight had lots of empty seats. And, I have cleared standby for a later flight, when my original flight was delayed and would depart after the later flight.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
The rule states "prior to your originally scheduled flight" but I'm not sure about that. My friend was cleared for standby for a later flight at the ticket counter when the later (last) flight had lots of empty seats. And, I have cleared standby for a later flight, when my original flight was delayed and would depart after the later flight.
And both of those were confirmed prior to the original flight departing, correct? GAs might give you a boarding position, then that's really a same-day change versus standby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.