Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo for 50% Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
I am getting the general impression that Southwest is shifting to a high fare but lots of discounts operation.
I havent paid over $49 for any of my 25+ Southwest flights this year. 😬

They gotta start making up for lost revenue.
jmw likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:29 am

SouthwestAir we really need to be clear next time if you can qualify with this promotion using points: it does say cannot be booked with points but is not clear if that means using the 50% code or to qualify. I didnt even bother calling to ask because I am positive I will get a different answer each time.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by braddqq
SouthwestAir we really need to be clear next time if you can qualify with this promotion using points: it does say cannot be booked with points but is not clear if that means using the 50% code or to qualify. I didnt even bother calling to ask because I am positive I will get a different answer each time.
Agree.

Based on past experience working and observing corporate promotions, I am guessing that most of the marketing staff is unable or not encouraged to speak up when they see an issue. Or even worse, they have farmed this out to a third party. Anyone that took just a few minutes to run this promo by a few rational people, issues would be flushed out.

Such an easy no cost fix, but somebody does not want to listen.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by braddqq
The ticket needs to be booked with money, not points to get the promo code. Look where the superscript number two is located on the promotion page linked above.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jjbiv
The ticket needs to be booked with money, not points to get the promo code. Look where the superscript number two is located on the promotion page linked above.
Agree with this post.

But - still an open question. When you book that 50% off, can THAT flight be a points a flight, or does it also need to be cash?
nsx likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Agree with this post.

But - still an open question. When you book that 50% off, can THAT flight be a points a flight, or does it also need to be cash?
As I read them, the terms and conditions are silent on the question of whether or not the promo code can be redeemed with a points booking. I would assume it would work but perhaps SWAVictor could help clarify this point for future promotions.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:02 am

I'm gonna guess the code will work with $ or points. Under Promotion Code Ts & Cs, there's a reference to "Reward Travel". Could just be their typical language, but they included it in this particular promo:

https://www.southwest.com/loyalty/my...?id=2-4RIM4RUG

"All reward travel is subject to taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges of at least $5.60 per one-way trip. Applicable taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges can vary significantly based on your arrival and departure destination. The payment of any taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges is the responsibility of the Passenger and must be paid at the time reward travel is booked with a credit card, flight credit, or Southwest gift card."
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:43 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by jjbiv
As I read them, the terms and conditions are silent on the question of whether or not the promo code can be redeemed with a points booking. I would assume it would work but perhaps SWAVictor could help clarify this point for future promotions.
The resulting Promo Codes will be valid toward either revenue or points bookings.
jjbiv and chessman like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Boom! Straight from the horse's... er, spokesperson.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I booked a flight, then realized there was a promo so registered for it like 2 minutes after booking my flights. Did not have time or energy to cancel my flights and rebook just for the promo. Flew yesterday. But I got the notice this morning. Don't know if the terms are more flexible than written or if their computers didn't realize I did it out of order because it was so close, or the reservation computers run slower than the promo registration ones... :-)
nsx likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Marriott Plat
I booked a reservation in the correct window but now need to modify by a day. Will that kill the promo for me?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by buzglyd
I booked a reservation in the correct window but now need to modify by a day. Will that kill the promo for me?
Called and got my question answered. Yes, if I move the reservation one day it kills the promo.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:49 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
This is the dumbest promo I've ever seen. I went ahead and booked one just for fun. It's actually my last Southwest flight ever (aside from the 50% flight) because SW idiotically discontinued my morning and evening business flights. I've moved all of my flights to LAX/SFO via Alaska and Delta.

Since December 2022, Southwest has cemented itself as a clown airline. They will do anything to market to fairweather travelers and screw over frequent flyers after the trauma that was Christmas 2022.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
SW idiotically discontinued my morning and evening business flights.
Setting aside your just for fun nonsense, unless you are quite familiar with WN's revenue models, the inconvenience to you cant be called idiocy.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
They will do anything to market to fairweather travelers and screw over frequent flyers
Seems like their marketing workedthey got your money with this promo.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.