Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do YCA (govt fully refundable) tickets get Early Bird?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Title says it all- do fully refundable US govt fare tickets (YCA, not other _CA) get the same status as Anytime or Business Select fares with respect to Early Bird checkin and/or A1-A15 boarding?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I believe your title is flawed. Early Bird is something you purchase (extra) when you don't have status

Automatic check-in is function of A List status.

BS 1-15 boarding is a function of buying that fare.

Do YCA fares equate AT or BS fares, both are fully refundable.

- Chief
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
I believe your title is flawed. Early Bird is something you purchase (extra) when you don't have status

Automatic check-in is function of A List status.

BS 1-15 boarding is a function of buying that fare.

Do YCA fares equate AT or BS fares, both are fully refundable.

- Chief

Your last sentence is essentially my question, perhaps not worded too well. AT fares say they include Early Bird, while BS fares say they give A1-A15 boarding.
YCA fares are fully-refundable fares that can be cancelled up to flight time like AT or BS (and they're priced sometimes on the order of AT or BS fares, sometimes cheaper).
So my question is, do YCA fares give the same benefits as AT or BS fares with respect to automatic/early checkin and/or boarding priority?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Apologies, I do see that AT fares include EBCI, that is new to me.

I do not know for sure but would like to assume a fully refundable fare equates at least AT, perhaps at a discount being governmental. I used get BS fares slightly cheaper than AT by using Concur's negotiated rates. And those BS fares meant Air Tran business class for 2 sweet years.

Hopefully some one who had used them will know, sorry
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:10 am

From my past experience, no. I always checked in right at T-24hrs to get best boarding slot.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MHively
From my past experience, no. I always checked in right at T-24hrs to get best boarding slot.
Was that before or after early bird started being included with Anytime fares?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by chessman
Was that before or after early bird started being included with Anytime fares?
Well good point there. Was probably before it was included and during the past two years I had A-list or A-list preferred so I never had to worry.

Hopefully someone with more recent experience and no status with WN can chime in.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:12 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
From: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/military-travel.html

Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:40 am

Thanks for the help SWAVictor . Clear cut guidance.
chessman and SWAVictor like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Your last sentence is essentially my question, perhaps not worded too well. AT fares say they include Early Bird, while BS fares say they give A1-A15 boarding.
YCA fares are fully-refundable fares that can be cancelled up to flight time like AT or BS (and they're priced sometimes on the order of AT or BS fares, sometimes cheaper).
So my question is, do YCA fares give the same benefits as AT or BS fares with respect to automatic/early checkin and/or boarding priority?

no…ECBI doesn’t come with it. It’s a contract negotiated fully refundable economy class fare. The tickets don’t officially get ticketed until about 72 hrs/3 business day before travel.

any status level/FF number can get attached to it.

you can’t bill the govt for ECBI
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
no…ECBI doesn’t come with it. It’s a contract negotiated fully refundable economy class fare. The tickets don’t officially get ticketed until about 72 hrs/3 business day before travel.

any status level/FF number can get attached to it.

you can’t bill the govt for ECBI
1. The post from SWAVictor 2 posts above yours (along with the link he provided) indicates you are incorrect, YCA fares DO receive EBCI.
2. Ticketing times vary between agencies. While your agency might ticket 72 hours in advance, others may do it much earlier. Like mine, sometimes.
3. I believe you are correct that ECBI can't be reimbursed as a travel expense, however, there may be exceptions, so I'm always hesitant to pronounce such things as absolute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.