Do I check bags or carryone?

Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Do I check bags or carryone?

It's been 6 years since the wife and I have flown. We have two "carryons" (one each) that i think may be too big to carry on. 16"x 11" x 26" Can you still gate check your luggage at the entrance to the plane? I guess security will tell us if they are too large to go onboard? It says tomorrows flight is a 737Max
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K
24X16X10 is what Southwest lists as max size so you are too big. TSA is unlikely to say anything and there's a good chance Southwest wouldn't notice but I'm kind of a rule follower and would probably check them.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by TEBraniff
It says tomorrows flight is a 737Max
That means "space bins" which should handle your stuff like a boss. Or a starter apartment.

If the return isn't a Max, then regroup.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Southwest no long says Max on Flt 2884. I found the actual measurements inside 26" x 16 3/4" x 10 1/2" which is outside the limits per mtofell by small tenths of inches. I was hoping to roll them to the door and give them to agent avoid baggage claim. I'll see what the live agent says tomorrow. Thanks to all.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Just check it at the counter before security. A 26" bag is too big for a carry-on.

Because of its length, it will stick out of the overhead bins by two inches if you put it in normally. That's why there's a 24" limit. The only way it would "fit" would be if you put it in sideways, taking up the space of two people's bags.
screeton, jmw and dlaue like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I was hoping to roll them to the door and give them to agent avoid baggage claim.
I don't think they do that anymore, they go to baggage claim anyway. Correct me if wrong...
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I don't think they do that anymore, they go to baggage claim anyway. Correct me if wrong...
Right. SW doesn't do that. Really only the case on the smallest regional jets. If SW checks it at the gate, it's going to baggage claim so OP is probably better off just checking it.
m907 and screeton like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Please check those two pieces of luggage. It's free, your bags will be at baggage claim either way, and you won't have to drag them through the airport.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It's been 6 years since the wife and I have flown. We have two "carryons" (one each) that i think may be too big to carry on. 16"x 11" x 26" Can you still gate check your luggage at the entrance to the plane? I guess security will tell us if they are too large to go onboard? It says tomorrows flight is a 737Max
those are too big. You need to check thrm pre security. St this time of year southwest bag check lines can be long.

you should do a carry on bag of things you want with you like medications, electronics ( cell phone computers, tablets), lithium battery stuff like cameras.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Everyone is different, but I like Checking a bag and consider it a perk of SWA, so I'd do it for sure.

Keep in mind you need more time at the airport before departure for the check in queue unless you're A-list.
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I also consider free bag check to be a perk of SWA and we always check bags rather than appear like the legendary Ma & Pa Kettles carrying everything including their kitchen sink onto the plane. If more people took advantage of checked baggage service, then boarding and deboarding would proceed MUCH MUCH faster, planes could turn faster, and there might be enough extra in the system to either put back a few of the nonstops we have lost or at least have redundancy in the system when "it" happens. I see people wrestle and fight with oversize or heavy bags into overhead bins, and wonder why put yourself through that? There is a better way.
Kevin AA and mtofell like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:56 pm

I'm on team "try carrying it on"
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by screeton
I also consider free bag check to be a perk of SWA and we always check bags rather than appear like the legendary Ma & Pa Kettles carrying everything including their kitchen sink onto the plane. If more people took advantage of checked baggage service, then boarding and deboarding would proceed MUCH MUCH faster, planes could turn faster, and there might be enough extra in the system to either put back a few of the nonstops we have lost or at least have redundancy in the system when "it" happens. I see people wrestle and fight with oversize or heavy bags into overhead bins, and wonder why put yourself through that? There is a better way.
I agree that boarding and deboarding would be faster if more people checked bags, even if carry-on size. However, I can't blame passengers who carry-on, considering waiting for baggage can be time consuming. I have waited 40 minutes in Philly back when they were flying there. If SWA decided to mimic Alaska & Delta by offering a timing guarantee (or even prioritized it internally somehow) maybe it would convince more passengers.
screeton and m907 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:41 am

Here's an idea, if you carry on a suitcase that has to go up top, you must go to the back!!
screeton likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Here's an idea, if you carry on a suitcase that has to go up top, you must go to the back!!
Except the bins in the back usually fill up first, and a lot of the delays during boarding are from people who brought their bags further back than the last bin that could accommodate them.
TEBraniff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.