Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Time to Plan for New Companion Pass for 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

There is another long thread from last year. Thought I would start a new one for this year.

1) Once earned, the CP is good for the rest of the current year and ALL of the following year.
A pass earned today is good until 12/31/23. Everything below will be referring to those that want to earn the pass NEXT year, not this year.
A pass earned after Jan 1, 2023 is good until 12/31/24

2) Miles get sent from Chase to SWA once a month, usually within a day or so after the statement closes.

3) It NEVER matters how many current miles you have in your RR account. Only those earned within one year count towards earning CP. You can have zero miles and still earn the pass. You can have a million miles and NOT get the pass. Depends on when you earn them. You just have to earn 125,000 in the current year.

4) Some people earn with lots of flying, but not many. This is for those that do not fly that much. Most of this thread is about folks that earn it via credit card bonus miles.

5) Get a Biz card sometime in late October or even November. They currently have 60k and 80k bonus levels. Added together with another card, that is way more than the required 125,00 points. You need to hit the required spend within 90 days.

6) Then get a personal card soon after that. Some have actually gotten two business cards. YMMV

7) Any spend that hits Chase up until the December statement will count towards 2022.

8) YOU DO NOT WANT TO EARN YOUR BONUS until AFTER that December statement closes. You hope to earn it by the January statement and therefore get the pass for almost 2 full years. Some spending is fine, but be VERY VERY careful not to hit the spend level before the Dec statement close.

9) Every year we read about somebody that lost out because an extra charge hit their card and they earned the bonus early. There is no way to fix that.

Best of luck.

Link to last year with lots of posts, questions and answers.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Oct 6, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
For those earning it for 2022/2023, notice the cutoff date. This happens to be our date. Yours may be different.

If you are going for 2023/2024 CP, then everything AFTER this date will apply.

1) Your December statement closing date will be the last date for posted purchases, made with your credit card, to count towards a Companion Pass for this year. As of 09/21, your last day to earn is 12/27. Be sure to check your statements for the most recent closing date.

2) Any purchase that posts to your account after your December statement closing date will count toward next year's Companion Pass.

3) Remember, it may take a few days for purchases to post to your account. All purchases must post by your December statement closing date to count toward 2022 Companion Pass.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:53 pm

Almost go time for us, grabbing the 80k Business card this weekend. Assuming my wife is approved we'll get the personal card in late November.

The first flight in which we need CP is 3/18/23.

Probably a dumb question but the TSA precheck credit on the business card does cover TSA renewal ( for one person) correct ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 17, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Almost go time for us, grabbing the 80k Business card this weekend. Assuming my wife is approved we'll get the personal card in late November.

The first flight in which we need CP is 3/18/23.

Probably a dumb question but the TSA precheck credit on the business card does cover TSA renewal ( for one person) correct ?
Yes, it covers TSA renewal. One person - can be anyone as it just shows as a charge and Chase wipes it off... credits it.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:16 am

...grabbing the 80k Business card this weekend
On the SWA homepage, there's a banner for 100k biz card. But it points to an error page.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
On the SWA homepage, there's a banner for 100k biz card. But it points to an error page.

I don't see the 100K link, is it hidden somewhere ? All I see is 80K on The Southwest website for the Bus Premier and the Performance.

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 18, 2022 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:35 am

I don't see the 100K link, is it hidden somewhere ? All I see is 80K on The Southwest website for the Bus Premier and the Performance.

Thanks
It's front center.

Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:43 am

It may be targeted. When I log in under my son or daughter's acct, the banner disappears and see this:

flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 6:24 pm

It may be targeted. When I log in under my son or daughter's acct, the banner disappears and see this:

Thanks, I don't see it but we are loaded with WN points so it's not a big deal UNLESS they raise CP beyond the 136K points we would get from the 80K bus, 50K, personal and $6k spend.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
It may be targeted. When I log in under my son or daughter's acct, the banner disappears:

When I log in I still see the 100K offer and it takes me to the same 404 error page (Paige cannot be found).
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is a 100k offer floating around for BizAccounts. This is NOT a credit card. Targeted email allows earning 20k for each business you refer that signs up.

NOT A CREDIT CARD OFFER -meaning not for new cards
nsx, flyer4512 and KentyMac like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:24 pm

Has anyone seen an expiration date for the Southwest 50K personal plus card offer ?

My wife got the 80K Southwest business yesterday, what is the current consensus on how long to wait to apply for another Chase card ?

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Has anyone seen an expiration date for the Southwest 50K personal plus card offer ?

My wife got the 80K Southwest business yesterday, what is the current consensus on how long to wait to apply for another Chase card ?

Thanks
No idea but 50k is one of the lowest sign up bonuses that I can remember seeing in recent times. I would hedge on that going higher. It was 100k last year and 80k in previous years around the holidays.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
No idea but 50k is one of the lowest sign up bonuses that I can remember seeing in recent times. I would hedge on that going higher. It was 100k last year and 80k in previous years around the holidays.
The Plus personal card was 40K up until a few weeks ago, we have about 600K WN points ( before this new 136K) so the 50k for spending $1k works for us as combined with the business card gets my wife to 136K CPQP without having to worry about the new 10K CPQP credit card bonus.

I believe those big offers were from December 2020 which was still prime covid and the 100K involved spending $12k over 12 months.

Being my wife is below 5/24 we have plans to load up on business cards in 2023 so I doubt she would even spend the extra $10k for 50K WN points.

What I don't want is for the personal Plus card offer to drop back to 40K and then I have to worry about being 10K short if they say something like you only get the 10k CPQP on account anniversary.

I would much rather just get CP squared away for 2 years but I'm sure for some it may be worth waiting for a possible larger SUB.
nsx and NoStressHere like this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 24, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
My wife and I both got the Performance Business card the other day, and debating whether to get the Premier Business or Priority Card as our 2nd card. We're both 3/24. I like the benefits of the Priority card, but prefer to save our personal cards for something else. Sounds like waiting may be a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.